Join for free
Page 18 of 18 « First < 8 16 17 18
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have seen a 'Power saving Option' but have never used it however iit might be worth entering 'power saving' in Settings or Control Panel search box and seeing what you can change.

Some of the default settings that either Windows or the manufacturer set seem a bit odd to me. For example the power button is often set to 'Sleep' rather than 'Turn off Computer' and is one of the first things I check on a new computer. I would be a modestly rich man if I had $10 from each of the people who have come to me saying their new laptop battery is always flat.

It is invariably because they put their computer to sleep rather than turning it off. Closing the 'lid' is usually set to send the laptop to sleep which I think is sensible so why is the power button set the same way?
I agree. I have done the same things.
Closing the lid of my laptop does nothing, and I have set the 'on' button to turn off the computer completely when pressed.
I have no use for 'hibernate' or 'sleep', and I agree that these should not be set as defaults.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 06:29 PM

Thanks Bruce and JB, I've had a poke about in the power saving gubbins and readjusted some of the settings.
I've also no use for the 'Sleep' facility, so I've made the power shut off on closing the lid and on the power button.
It was also set to sleep after just five minutes on both the battery and plugged in modes, so I've bumped them both up to 30 minutes....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Bruce and JB, I've had a poke about in the power saving gubbins and readjusted some of the settings.
I've also no use for the 'Sleep' facility, so I've made the power shut off on closing the lid and on the power button.
It was also set to sleep after just five minutes on both the battery and plugged in modes, so I've bumped them both up to 30 minutes....
I hope it solves your problems.

Incidentally, I set mine to sleep after 30 minutes only on battery mode, as there is no need to save energy when plugged in. A personal choice, of course.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Incidentally, I set mine to sleep after 30 minutes only on battery mode, as there is no need to save energy when plugged in. A personal choice, of course.
Thanks JB, and I can see your point about saving energy when plugged in, I'll adjust it immediately...

It does seem strange though, why the wifi cuts out when on battery power but not when it's plugged in....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-01-2019, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks JB, and I can see your point about saving energy when plugged in, I'll adjust it immediately...

It does seem strange though, why the wifi cuts out when on battery power but not when it's plugged in....
I thought it might be the WiFi cutting out when the computer went to sleep.
Presumably, though, it is still doing it after the changes you have made.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

That's my preference too but with sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity on battery and I do like sleep set when I close the lid.

The problem with setting a time on mains power is that it could be in the middle of doing something long winded (for example rendering a movie) and I am pretty sure it only monitors external inputs (keyboard, mouse) so it will sleep while it is still busily doing something if it is not set to 'never'

Page 18 of 18 « First < 8 16 17 18

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top