Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 10:16 PM

Last night of the proms

I watch this every year on tv. Never fails to move me. One hundred years since the end of WW1. Moved me even more this time around.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:25 PM

Re: Last night of the proms

Great show as usual. The EU crowd seem to have doled out berets, as well as EU flags, to try and hijack, what is basically a British flag waving, joyful, patriotic, singalong occasion, with little political overtones. I was sitting at home, singing along gustly, waving my Union Jack!!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:28 PM

Loved it. Especially the WW1 songs, moved me to tears.

I was lucky enough to get tickets a few years ago...the atmosphere of goodwill and joy is hard to describe, music really does unite.
A wonderful evening.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
Great show as usual. The EU crowd seem to have doled out berets, as well as EU flags, to try and hijack, what is basically a British flag waving, joyful, patriotic, singalong occasion, with little political overtones. I was sitting at home, singing along gustly, waving my Union Jack!!
Yes, we watch it every year and I noticed that too!

Perhaps it's my imagination, but it seems to me that each succeeding year there appear to be fewer union flags and more foreign ones.

As for the EU flags, berets and whatever else the remainiacs can think up, I wonder how long this pathetic behaviour will continue once we're out.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:35 PM

The Royal Albert Hall a spectacular venue, for classical music.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
The Royal Albert Hall a spectacular venue, for classical music.
It looked absolutely gorgeous didn't it?
Red white and blue lighting all around the gallery arches...
And I loved the the way they had union jacks lit all the way along behind the choir, and the entire area of the massive RAH organ was lit up as a union jack, marvellous.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	p01gjpmd.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	7220  
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:51 PM

ah the patriots are out in force! - I like the call of the mullah meself?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
It looked absolutely gorgeous didn't it?
Red white and blue lighting all around the gallery arches...
And I loved the the way they had union jacks lit all the way along behind the choir, and the entire area of the massive RAH organ was lit up as a union jack, marvellous.
Yes, the RAH is probably the biggest, and to many the best, concert hall in the land, and boasts the second largest and loudest organ in the country.

If you read about its history, though, you'll find that there were all sorts of problems acoustically when it was first built. Because of its oval shape, it had a strange feature whereby in some areas the sound was loud, yet in others it was almost inaudible. In certain locations, you could even hear any given sound twice separated by a second or two.

Their first attempt at improving the situation involved hanging an enormous velarium just beneath the hemispherical glass roof, the idea being to absorb unwanted sound waves before they could be reflected back down to the audience.

That didn't work very well, so a more effective solution was eventually found which involved a large number of inverted 'flying saucers' suspended from the roof, and which can still be seen. They were certainly visible on the 'Last Night' transmission today.

I believe, when it was first built, it could accommodate 8,000 people. The figure is now rather less due to modern 'health and safety' measures and, no doubt, more 'accommodating' seating for modern (and quite possibly more generously proportioned) bodies!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 01:35 AM

Hi

Watched it, loved it.

I have my silly jacket and sparkly Union Jack bow tie.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 06:35 AM

I only managed to see the last half hour, but as usual, the last few songs brought tears to my eyes.
It is a bit like watching a film that always makes you cry....you don't want to cry, but you refuse to miss the film. Does this happen to others?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top