Join for free
Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 01:53 PM

Re: Squirrels are great.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My squirrels are quite happy with a bit of grass.

Much bigger than ours & probably a lot more distructive too.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I love Reds, sadly none here if there ever were.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I love Reds, sadly none here if there ever were.
There were before the Greys were introduced and drove them north.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

23-10-2018, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
There were before the Greys were introduced and drove them north.
That's possible as there are still Reds on Brownsea Island, I've been there & they, the PTB kill any greys that gets near.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 04:43 PM

We have greys here tbh i prefer them to the reds, bigger more robust happier looking animals imo. We couldnt have reds here anyway they dont like our trees im told.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

23-10-2018, 04:52 PM

It was the squirrel pox that the Reds got from the Greys that killed most of them in England, the Greys don't get ill from it. Plus the competition for food in places where they both were. Greys were an introduced species & were not native, which is why they are a pest.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 08:31 AM

They are not pest to me and are very welcome to come and feed.
Whilst I appreciate they are not a native species, they are here now and there is little that can be done even if you would want to.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 08:46 AM

I love squirrels too...used to see many red ones on visits to Thetford Forest as kiddies,now sadly no more.
There are lots of greys in this area and they are a menace if you are driving as they often try to play "chicken" with drivers

Taken from our local paper...
Once thriving in Thetford Forest, the red squirrel has now all but died out in the area.

While it is unlikely it will ever become a common sight once again in Norfolk, the county is contributing to the re-introduction of the species in the wild, with participation in the East Anglia Red Squirrel Breeding Programme.

Earlier this week, the red squirrel was thrust into the spotlight once again by Prince Charles, who called for it to be made the country’s mascot. The prince, patron of the Red Squirrel Survival Trust, had already called for the culling of the larger and more dominant grey squirrel.

“For me the battle for the red squirrel is iconic,” he said. “It wasn’t so long ago that reds were common all over Britain. The grey has to be one of the most disastrous introductions of foreign species there has ever been. I believe the red should become a national mascot.”

According to the Forestry Commission, there are just 140,000 red squirrels left in Britain but more than 2.5 million greys.
He said the animals once thrived in Thetford Forest, but a programme to re-introduce them more than 10 years ago had not been successful.
Both Pensthorpe Nature Reserve, near Fakenham, and Kelling Heath, in north Norfolk, are part of a breeding programme to send red squirrels to Anglesey each year where they are released into the wild as part of a co-ordinated effort to reinforce the declining local population.

A captive breeding area and three red squirrel enclosures have been built at Pensthorpe, with overhead runs allowing more natural behaviour patterns which, it is hoped, will make the transition to the release site in Anglesey less stressful.
PUBLISHED: 14:52 08 April 2011
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 08:56 AM

It may be the pox got them but the habitat for them is just gone in many areas. if we didn't have greys here i can guarantee the reds still couldn't live here.
Same I'm guessing in many places. Greys aren't native but they are best adapted to live in this part of England now we have changed reds didn't.

Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top