Join for free
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 02:48 PM

Colour change at races

The colour of markers on hurdles and fences at racecourses could change because of the way horses see colour.

The hope is it will continue to reduce the number of accidents.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 03:00 PM

Re: Colour change at races

I was interested, so I found a link:

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/colour-c...umps-1-5730884

Researchers say their findings that horses have reduced colour vision compared to humans and only differentiate objects in a palette of blues and yellows are important not just for racing but for other disciplines too and will be widely shared.

As a result of the research, which showed horses see the current orange framework used on jump racing fences as a shade of green, horseracing authorities have agreed to trial fluorescent yellow and white marks to aid visibility.

The cutting-edge research by the University of Exeter, commissioned by the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) and Racing Foundation, showed horses adjusted their jump angles when orange was not used, with white tending to produce a longer total jump distance.
There's orange in this picture but a horse doesn't see it:

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 03:02 PM

Re: Colour change at races

I suppose it is step in the right direction but removing jumps completely would ensure less accidents. Then ban horse racing.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top