Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 08:53 AM

HMV goes into administration

The legendary music and entertainment store HMV looks finally about to bite the dust following a second lapse into administration.

Founded in 1921, this near-century old retailer was a major player in bringing recorded sound to the public through grammophone manufacturing, a world famous record label and music and video sales.

I find this collapse a huge disappointment and it's due mainly of the continuing loss of the high street caused mainly by online outlets such as Amazon and secondary sites. It's also a move towards streaming and the need for 'instant mobile music' bringing forth the physical sales format downfall. Even CDs are looking to become obsolete. Sad.

I spent most of my teenage and twenty-something years scouring HMV for those great albums and singles.

It's ironic though that HMV together with Virgin, Our Price, Andy's Records, MVC and so on were at one time the enemy of smaller outlets, mainly the independent record shops who were struggling against this giant of music retailing. Now those little shops are thriving once more with the reassurgence of vinyl coming back once more. It's gone full circle in fact.

Sign of the times.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 09:40 AM

Re: HMV goes into administration

I put it all down to laziness on the company's side.
Like many large retailers that have gone to the wall over the past 10/20 years HMV where the king pins of an industry that is ever changing and to keep pace you have to change with it.
Not stand still and think because you are a giant there is no need to worry.
HMV infact are even worse that the likes of Woolworths/M&S and all those others.
Because they were in a singular industry they should have realised it a lot sooner .

Adapt or die start employing a younger generation of people in key positions,managers that know their way around the markets and how to step up on the internet and give the younger generations what they want.
How many times did you walk into a HMV record shop and see youngsters working behind the counters (cheap labour and on short term contracts) but the people in charge were older generation and they were the ones making the decisions.
I am surprised that there are still dinosaur company's like that still trading to be honest with you, much like Sports Direct which I expect will be following in HMV's footsteps soon.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 09:54 AM

I am not sure this is typical of the normal high street failures, people generally these days don't buy physical copies of music. If when we all started listening to music we could have streamed free music 24/7 I have a feeling all these stores would have died years ago. Much like video stores died, streaming films on tv, phones, laptops etc became the norm.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 10:42 AM

Julie I have grand children now going out and buying vinyl and they are looking to collect the likes Pink Floyd,Hendrix,Bowie,Green Street and loads of others.

The markets are there company's just have to keep up with them and like I was saying HMV should never have took their eye off the ball.
I have another grand daughter (14) who is mad with her school mates about something called K music cost me a small fortune at Christmas I can tell you what with buying all this music.

Its a fast moving industry and combining music with the clothing side of things has got to be earning company's fortunes.Because not only do kids today buy vinyl or cd's but also hoodies caps sweatshirts and so many other things.
All they need is a good website.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Julie I have grand children now going out and buying vinyl and they are looking to collect the likes Pink Floyd,Hendrix,Bowie,Green Street and loads of others.

The markets are there company's just have to keep up with them and like I was saying HMV should never have took their eye off the ball.
I have another grand daughter (14) who is mad with her school mates about something called K music cost me a small fortune at Christmas I can tell you what with buying all this music.

Its a fast moving industry and combining music with the clothing side of things has got to be earning company's fortunes.Because not only do kids today buy vinyl or cd's but also hoodies caps sweatshirts and so many other things.
All they need is a good website.
Indeed mate, and your first point about all those vinyl albums selling so well.
In fact, looking at the UK Rock Chart Top 40, apart from new releases which come and go, there are some mainstays in the Top 10 which have been there for years - Guns N' Roses, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Queen etc. And Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon has just spent two weeks at number one - a remarkable feat for an album released 45 years ago. They have four albums in the Top 10 this week and many of those sales will be vinyl copies. 45 million copies so far sold since its original release in 1973.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 02:52 PM

I think it is a shame to see any large company go under although I can't remember being a great fan of HMV. Of course, I have shopped in there but I preferred the smaller independent shops which as you say Floydy, were pushed out by the likes of HMV. The sad thing is that if these chains disappear, there will be very few ways of actually viewing music in the flesh before buying it. The trouble is of course that when we are given the chance to buy something at a lower price we all take it.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 03:13 PM

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is rapidly fading
And the first one now will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'

said Bob Dylan 55 years ago
lesleylogan1968
Scotland
lesleylogan1968 is female 

29-12-2018, 04:30 PM

I have always liked HMV

I like going and in and having a look at all the CD's still. It would be a shame if HMV was no more.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 06:38 PM

I thought it had closed.It was OK but not if you were looking for something a bit different,music wise.
I spent most of my time in Spillers,the oldest record shop in the world,so they say
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
I put it all down to laziness on the company's side.
Like many large retailers that have gone to the wall over the past 10/20 years HMV where the king pins of an industry that is ever changing and to keep pace you have to change with it.
Not stand still and think because you are a giant there is no need to worry.
HMV infact are even worse that the likes of Woolworths/M&S and all those others.
Because they were in a singular industry they should have realised it a lot sooner .

Adapt or die start employing a younger generation of people in key positions,managers that know their way around the markets and how to step up on the internet and give the younger generations what they want.
How many times did you walk into a HMV record shop and see youngsters working behind the counters (cheap labour and on short term contracts) but the people in charge were older generation and they were the ones making the decisions.
I am surprised that there are still dinosaur company's like that still trading to be honest with you, much like Sports Direct which I expect will be following in HMV's footsteps soon.
Life moves on. How many coopers do we have?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top