Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 11:20 PM

Re: Dashcams: Drivers' footage leads to prosecutions

Or maybe a bit like insurance...most never need it..but it’s there if you do..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 05:12 AM

My only personal experience was someone littering when they chucked rubbish out of the car in front of me. I uploaded the footage to the EPA website and the offenders pleaded guilty so I didn't have to attend court.

The video is handy for travel shots too.

Never seen an accident or crash but then I don't think I have seen more than one minor one in my whole life.

Some people record the rear and I have a spare dashcam I could fit there but I can't see the point anyone rear ending you are automatically in the wrong.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 11:00 AM

This is my dashcam. Had to place it in this position because the mesh aerial for the sat nav is very large and the window sucker wont hold on it. Even placed there gives a good forward wide view of the road

Being hard wired that is all the cable that is visible all the rest is hidden
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Some people record the rear and I have a spare dashcam I could fit there but I can't see the point anyone rear ending you are automatically in the wrong.
Whilst the theory there is quite correct, the practice can have complications.

For example, you are hit from behind by a car with a single driver. The driver drives off or bolts from the car.
What are you left with?

You have the number plate of a car that rear shunted you and maybe some basic/vague description of who it was.

Insurance is a case of CLAIMS not BLAMES.

If YOU make a claim on your insurance then that goes on your record for many years. What counts against you is whether your insurance company was able to recover all their costs from the other party.

In a rear shunt, that should normally be the case but if the driver bolts or if the driver gets out and gives you a load of false details and it later transpires that he/she was not insured then your insurance company isn't going to be able to recover the full costs.

Having a dashcam in the rear ensures that you have a clear picture of the driver and any passengers. It will record whether they were smoking or on their mobile phone and so on. All factors in your favour.

Make no mistake, if YOU make any claim on your insurance you WILL be penalised in the future through increased premiums. The only exception is if your insurance was able to recover all the costs from the other party. If they did, then your record will be effectively clear. It is in our own best interests to provide as much help and evidence to our insurance companies as possible.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wal...o-prosecutions (with video)

That's the way to do it .....
I agree, and have the benefit of dashcams front and back which I should not hesitate to use if I could be assured that the police would take notice.

This report suggests that they might well do that, which is encouraging.

What I'd like to see is a dedicated phone line or email address which could be used for this purpose. Perhaps something along these lines does exist, but I am not aware of it.

In addition, for the more serious examples seen on this collection of videos, I think there should be far more harsh sentencing of the perpetrators.

Unfortunately, for that to happen we need a far more effective judicial system which, for many years now, has been lacking.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Make no mistake, if YOU make any claim on your insurance you WILL be penalised in the future through increased premiums. The only exception is if your insurance was able to recover all the costs from the other party. If they did, then your record will be effectively clear. It is in our own best interests to provide as much help and evidence to our insurance companies as possible.
Not true - I insure my car not the driver - my insurance covers my car no matter who drives it. The age of the driver affects excess (under 30 $1000 excess, other drivers $400 excess) but as I have only one child under 30 now that is a moot point.

Any claim I have made didn't affect my premiums at all. I have a protected 60% discount plus 15% multi policy discount however that's all legal bollox because it is a very competitive market and all the insurance companies compete within a few dollars of each other. It pays to shop around none the less.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 11:04 PM

That's not how it works in the UK Bruce, unfortunately.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Not true - I insure my car not the driver - my insurance covers my car no matter who drives it. The age of the driver affects excess (under 30 $1000 excess, other drivers $400 excess) but as I have only one child under 30 now that is a moot point.
This doesn't make a lot of sense TBH but maybe it's just an Aussie thing.

So let me ask something to help clarify.

If 2 men A and B ask for an insurance quote for their car and they both have exactly the same car but:

Man A is a claim free driver, never had any convictions or claims

Man B has 2 speeding tickets, 3 claims under his belt and has been previously done for drink driving

Are you saying that both men will receive the same quotation figure on the basis that they just have the same car?

Struggling to believe it TBH.

There MUST surely be some analysis of what risk a person represents to the insurance company. Part of that risk is how often a person makes a claim and whether the claim monies were able to be recovered.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 12:23 AM

It varies from state to state but in most compulsory 3rd party insurance is included with the vehicle "rego", a very sensible idea IMO.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

09-01-2019, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
It varies from state to state but in most compulsory 3rd party insurance is included with the vehicle "rego", a very sensible idea IMO.
Compulsory Third Party (CTP) here is part of rego but only covers death or injury to people it doesn't cover other people's property for that you need 'bomb' insurance which is extra and not compulsory.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top