Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 03:36 PM

Re: Solution to many things

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
There is of course always another option ... make everyone pass an advanced driving course within two years of passing test ... failure to do so would mean returning to learning again ... if we are all advanced drivers then let’s up the motorway limits etc instead of driving to the least able limits all the time
I passed the IAM test years ago but I still have to watch out for sneaky speed traps.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm not sure I agree with automatically reducing the speed of vehicles. Sometimes the best way out of an accident is acceleration not braking.
So, it was you, you b@S%@rd
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
So, it was you, you b@S%@rd
I did wave to you as I left you down the ditch.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

13-01-2019, 04:12 PM

I once hired a car with a speed limiter on a trip to Scotland. It was a pain in the @rse tbh. I was glad to give it back.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 04:17 PM

I once hired a car with a speed limiter on a trip to Scotland. It was a pain in the @rse tbh. I was glad to give it back.
Not as glad as the hire company
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

13-01-2019, 04:21 PM

I passed the IAM test years ago
Not sure how a course on what to feed your cats will help

I did wave to you as I left you down the ditch.
Let me guess. You've never been in an accident but, curiously, have seen a disproportionately high number of them in your rear view mirror
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

13-01-2019, 04:23 PM

Let me guess. You've never been in an accident but, curiously, have seen a disproportionately high number of them in your rear view mirror
No, I have loads of accidents, just that none of them were my fault.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 06:16 PM

Not sure if I've mentioned on here or not, but it strikes me that if all new cars were fitted with GPS enabled controls which prevented a car from travelling at a higher than the speed designated for any particular road, then there'd be no more speeding tickets.

Indeed, such a device would reduce the number of stolen cars as they's be easily tracked, and joy riding would decline too. There are already devices which can be fitted to cars which provide the ability to disable the engine via a suitable app.

It remains a mystery why such systems are not rolled out.

Insurance claims would also fall which would lead to at least a reduction in the rate of increase of premiums. It would also mean that young, new drivers, wouldn't have to penalised so heavily for their lack of experience and tendency to speed since this would not longer be an option.

Because nobody would want them.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 06:35 PM

Is that because the car knew it was going to Scotland so dug its (w)heels in?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 06:36 PM

Not sure if I've mentioned on here or not, but it strikes me that if all new cars were fitted with GPS enabled controls which prevented a car from travelling at a higher than the speed designated for any particular road, then there'd be no more speeding tickets.

Indeed, such a device would reduce the number of stolen cars as they's be easily tracked, and joy riding would decline too. There are already devices which can be fitted to cars which provide the ability to disable the engine via a suitable app.

It remains a mystery why such systems are not rolled out.

Insurance claims would also fall which would lead to at least a reduction in the rate of increase of premiums. It would also mean that young, new drivers, wouldn't have to penalised so heavily for their lack of experience and tendency to speed since this would not longer be an option.
Cruise control works fine for me.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top