Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2011, 09:10 PM

Snr

I've had issues with my ISP since February about the level of broadband I get.

Finally this week my ISP has acknowledged that my SNR is not adequate.

This is what they said

"I have checked your line again, and the downstream SNR is dropping extremely low, sometimes to 1db, it should not go below 6db!"

they gave me a handful of tests to do and they proved nothing.

Today I asked BT to look into the line quality and the chappie from India said it was all fine.

Well 8 months down the line .. I dont know what to do, Im at my wits end with frustration.

My technical knowledge is basic and this is beyond me.

I feel that BT and Talk Talk are just passing me from pillar to post... and back again, nobody accepting the blame. Meanwhile I'm suffering a very inadequate service.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2011, 10:03 PM

Re: Snr

Wonda sorry I am no help to you at all . I have a problem because they say I am too far from the exchange so can't get a faster speed . Have you checked the speed yourself

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/spe...FUYe4QodbAy1lg
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2011, 10:18 PM

That's interesting, the link above gives street stats and I can see what speed my neighbours got in their tests with different companies , they are lower than mine
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2011, 10:40 PM

Thanks for the link, Meg - my download speed is 9.61Mb
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

21-10-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Thanks for the link, Meg - my download speed is 9.61Mb
goodness mine is 1.5 and the fastest in my road .
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

21-10-2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wonda ->
I've had issues with my ISP since February about the level of broadband I get.
Finally this week my ISP has acknowledged that my SNR is not adequate.
This is what they said
"I have checked your line again, and the downstream SNR is dropping extremely low, sometimes to 1db, it should not go below 6db!"
they gave me a handful of tests to do and they proved nothing.
Today I asked BT to look into the line quality and the chappie from India said it was all fine.
Well 8 months down the line .. I dont know what to do, Im at my wits end with frustration.
My technical knowledge is basic and this is beyond me.
I feel that BT and Talk Talk are just passing me from pillar to post... and back again, nobody accepting the blame. Meanwhile I'm suffering a very inadequate service.
If it helps the SNR (signal to noise ratio) is simply a ratio of good signal to noise on your line.

To try and explain briefly is very difficult but if you imagine talking to someone in a room with just the two of you, everything is easy to understand so we could say the SNR is high, but if there are more folks talking at the same time things start to get difficult to hear correctly.The more folks talking the worse it gets and the lower the SNR is.

It is the same with a ADSL Broadband connection only the first two people talking are your router and the exchange. The good sound is the signal from them to you so the better the signal the higher your SNR will be.

Basically, there are four issues that affect performance.

1. Sync: Connection speed, the higher the better.

2. Attenuation: The length of line involved in your connection, the lower the better.
It really is all about the quality of the signal passing through your copper or aluminium cables. The higher attenuation the worse the sync speed will be and therefore the lower the speed you get.

3. SNR: As above.

4. BRAS: Broadband Remote Access Server, BT set each line a speed profile depending on the line's speed and stability. Many things here can affect the speed, exchange congestion, bad weather and even maintenance.

The problem is that any ISP can only sort out issues up to where it reaches your router or hub.
They would need to run tests from there to track down any other problems.
Personally I would ask for an engineers visit to check everything on site and not rely on a script reader in India as they have no idea of local conditions or of really what they are testing for.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2011, 11:42 PM

Thanks for your explanation Hammer which was easy to understand I'm with o2 and have run the test and I get download speed of 1mb and upload speed of 0.3mb.

I've always been told I have a slow speed because I'm at the end of a long line!

According to the test there are other providers with a much faster speed than o2 who is the second slowest. So if I changed to one of the others shown in the test do you think I will still get a faster speed as indicated in the test or will I still get same speed as I do now with o2 because of the long line? Just wondering really as all the other providers are also sooo much cheaper than what I am paying Hope that all makes sense
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 07:32 AM

Wonda, Talk Talk are all that they are classed as a bad ISP.
Check your line through http://www.speedtest.net/, thia is the one that BT enginners use.

If you are still getting bad service change ISP, if you go to BT then they can not blame anyone else for poor service.

There are so many variables when it comes to reducing SNR that it is important to make sure that the feed coming into your home is of the best possible quality.
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 08:28 AM

Thank you hammer for your information, I will today speak to TT again. My broadband speed is pretty good around 5.7 and .63 its just the SNR.

Antibrown, I cant change ISP for another 12 months, they provided me with a new router and that locked me into a new contract ... boy I regret doing that !
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 03:17 PM

Well when mine starts playing up I shall not be buying a new one, dont all shout hoorah at once!.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top