Join for free
Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 12:22 PM

Re: Are we really Overpopulated?

One way to judge if your particular country is overpopulated would
be to ask the question can your country produce enough food to
feed its population?
We use this criteria when judging third world countries, so how
does uk stand using the same criteria??
Donkeyman!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
One way to judge if your particular country is overpopulated would
be to ask the question can your country produce enough food to
feed its population?
We use this criteria when judging third world countries, so how
does uk stand using the same criteria??
Donkeyman!
The problem with that Donkeyman is we will never be able to find out. We can guess, but we have learnt to rely on foreign imports, mainly because we want plenty of choice and to eat foods out of season. Cost is also a factor, and can we actually say that any country can sustain its population without imports? Even water in some places!

It has been said that there is not enough farmland to supply all the food we need here in the UK.
However, when food is short or rationed like during the war, people grew fruit and vegetables in their gardens or allotments. This remained popular until food became cheaper and more obtainable down the supermarket.

We are returning partially to growing our own because the taste of fresh produce is far superior to imported foods, but until we accept that we should go back to eating home grown seasonal produce, we will continue to ship food halfway around the world with it being chemically treated to look fresh and taste bland.

We do actually export a lot of the foods that we produce here.
We will never know whether we can sustain our population until our backs are against the wall Donkeyman, but the British seem to have an extraordinary resilience to hardship, and I believe we could if necessary.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
You view seems to sound like a Ponzi Scheme.

If I understand you correctly, we need more and more population to compete for resources to make sure that the existing people get a free ride in their old age.

Keep in mind that the larger group sustaining your position will need even a larger group to take care if their needs, and they may not be happy if that doesn't happen. Don't you think that at some time that that scheme is unsustainable or does it just matter that it is sustainable while you are still here?

Pon·zi scheme
/ˈpänzē ˌskēm/
noun
a form of fraud in which belief in the success of a nonexistent enterprise is fostered by the payment of quick returns to the first investors from money invested by later investors.
"a classic Ponzi scheme built on treachery and lies"

100% correct.

We need to reduce the planet population and stop growing economies.

Growth is only relevant to short term wealth creation to give a minority an advantage over the majority.

It can't continue.

No one suffers..........We simply learn to get by with LESS!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The problem with that Donkeyman is we will never be able to find out. We can guess, but we have learnt to rely on foreign imports, mainly because we want plenty of choice and to eat foods out of season. Cost is also a factor, and can we actually say that any country can sustain its population without imports? Even water in some places!

It has been said that there is not enough farmland to supply all the food we need here in the UK.
However, when food is short or rationed like during the war, people grew fruit and vegetables in their gardens or allotments. This remained popular until food became cheaper and more obtainable down the supermarket.

We are returning partially to growing our own because the taste of fresh produce is far superior to imported foods, but until we accept that we should go back to eating home grown seasonal produce, we will continue to ship food halfway around the world with it being chemically treated to look fresh and taste bland.

We will never know whether we can sustain our population until our backs are against the wall Donkeyman, but the British seem to have an extraordinary resilience to hardship, and I believe we could if necessary.
New houses are built with gardens just big enough to hold a wheelie bin if you are lucky .
Allotments are still IMO a good idea .
Near us there is a new housing development that has put aside a plot for allotments and it’s absolutely thriving .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
New houses are built with gardens just big enough to hold a wheelie bin if you are lucky .
Allotments are still IMO a good idea .
Near us there is a new housing development that has put aside a plot for allotments and it’s absolutely thriving .
There are still plenty of houses around here Muddy with gardens big enough to set aside a small patch for veg etc, although all the new properties are like you say, and either have a very small garden or are open plan with no garden at all.

Allotments are very popular here also with people preferring the taste of home grown produce. somebody has to die before you have a chance of getting one though....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 11:14 PM

I have ( I think ) still got an allotment .
Due to village politics I am not too sure at this point
But in the twee village I live in its a sort of manicured hobby for some people .
Nevertheless I do attempt to grow stuff .
Due to the wet / dry weather it’s been a total disaster lately .
My major success is runner beans which I love .
Other veg such as parsnips were a disaster they all went weird shapes and got wormy . Easier to buy !
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2020, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

I suppose if we subtracted the amount of food we expport from
the amount we import it would give us an idea if we could be self
sufficient? You are right we do have the ability to grow more via
allotments and using our gardens but l think the younger generation
are loosing the physical ability to enter into past times such as this,
and consequently there is generally a lack of demand for larger
gardens or allotments, and so planning departments etc dont
cater for them anymore, there are allways local exceptions to this
though of course! However l am convinced the planet as a whole
reached the limits of its capacity to provide a meaningful existence
to the majority of its inhabitants? The only way to improve things
imo is if what we have at the moment is shared more equitably?
Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

01-03-2020, 06:58 PM

I am amazed at how this thread has several times attempted to
morph into other forms or subjects, but so far has wandered back
Vaguely to the original, which was is the world overpopulated?
I think we have found the answer that, yes, the world is
overpopulated!. Because for more than 70% of the population will
not possibly be able to attain and sustain the standards that the
other 30% of the population have achieved allready! And are
condemned to living under their present conditions for ever, for the
simple reason that the planet will not allow it?
Donkeyman!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-03-2020, 10:53 PM

I sometimes wonder if religion is the answer we are looking for to save the human race from oblivion.

I don't know much about Mormons, Hamish, Plymouth Brethren or Jehovas Witnesses but I believe they don't watch TV or listen to radio, all work to a common interest, and grow most of their own food and are practically cut off from the rest of civilisation. A sort of world within a world....

The children are all God fearing and respect their parents, and are not corrupted by films and computer games while they are still young. Offspring are not born out of wedlock, and it would appear that just enough children are born to sustain their present number. Gender realignment and homosexuallity are looked upon unfavourably and lives don't revolve around possessions.

I dare say there will be an avalanche of dissenting posts, but that life seems to suit those people, and friendship and love permeates through their communities and that can't be all bad can it? And being cut off from the rest of the world means you don't miss what you've never had....Discipline is only discipline until it forms into a way of life, and then it becomes natural....Sadly lacking in the youth of today, not all, but some, and especially since the internet gives them a voice. A voice that none of us had at their age.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-03-2020, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I am amazed at how this thread has several times attempted to
morph into other forms or subjects, but so far has wandered back
Vaguely to the original, which was is the world overpopulated?
I think we have found the answer that, yes, the world is
overpopulated!. Because for more than 70% of the population will
not possibly be able to attain and sustain the standards that the
other 30% of the population have achieved allready! And are
condemned to living under their present conditions for ever, for the
simple reason that the planet will not allow it?
Donkeyman!
The world is only overpopulated where humans congregate Donkeyman, Cities and towns. There are still huge amounts of space if you know where to look......

Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top