Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 09:12 AM

Re: Labour leadership race

For me Dennis Skinner would be the only reasonable replacement for Corbyn, but he's probably too old and unwell. Almost all the others mentioned above would fit equally happily into the Tory Party. There is a huge gulf at the moment between the Parliamentary Labour Party (time-serving Red Tory apparatchiks) and the membership in the country which supports Corbyn (except maybe on Brexit - where he chickened out).
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 09:20 AM

Although a fully paid up conservative I still despair of the problems in the Labour party as well as my own. A strong opposition is always a good thing to temper government policies whoever is in power, but ultimately that can only be done in parliament, so the abject selfishness of Corbyn in not stepping down for the good of his party, and thereby for the good of his country, is both disgraceful and self destructive.

By the way Nom, what is this divisive political agenda, you mean taking millions of the lowest paid out of taxation, creating millions of jobs or the imposition of the living wage?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
A strong opposition is always a good thing to temper government policies whoever is in power, but ultimately that can only be done in parliament, so the abject selfishness of Corbyn in not stepping down for the good of his party, and thereby for the good of his country, is both disgraceful and self destructive.
Corbyn's actions are the very opposite of selfish. By all accounts he would like nothing more than to resign, but he feels indebted to the membership of the Labour Party who elected him, not the timeserving trough-gobbling Blairite Tories who want him gone - people like the despicable Hilary Benn. A Blairite Labour Party would offer no real opposition whatever to the Tories. They are simply trying to concrete themselves into power within the party so they are better able to deflect criticism of their leader when the Chilcott report is publishe.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Corbyn's actions are the very opposite of selfish. By all accounts he would like nothing more than to resign, but he feels indebted to the membership of the Labour Party who elected him, not the timeserving trough-gobbling Blairite Tories who want him gone - people like the despicable Hilary Benn. A Blairite Labour Party would offer no real opposition whatever to the Tories. They are simply trying to concrete themselves into power within the party so they are better able to deflect criticism of their leader when the Chilcott report is publishe.
I still can't accept that the majority of Labour voters want a far left radical like Corbyn. He was, after all, voted in by a majority of Labour party members, I very much doubt whether you would get the same result from the non member Labour electorate, which far outnumber them. It's OK Corbyn sticking to his narrow principles, which in my opinion are verging on communism, but as we know he needs to take the country with him to gain any sort of power. Even he must see that his principles are only shared by a very few radicals who in reality cannot hope to convert the majority at an election...?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Although a fully paid up conservative I still despair of the problems in the Labour party as well as my own. A strong opposition is always a good thing to temper government policies whoever is in power, but ultimately that can only be done in parliament, so the abject selfishness of Corbyn in not stepping down for the good of his party, and thereby for the good of his country, is both disgraceful and self destructive.

By the way Nom, what is this divisive political agenda, you mean taking millions of the lowest paid out of taxation, creating millions of jobs or the imposition of the living wage?
I could provide links, but wont bother. Very much depends on which side of the divide your on.

I wont change your mindset, and you wont change mine.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 10:46 AM

Someone was saying on the radio this morning we don't have enough choice of political parties.
I agree, they are all much of a much now with division is each of them .
If we had a greater choice even without PR it would provide more people with a place to go and prevent extremism of any kind .
The Lib Dems mucked things up with their coalition which has virtually destroyed the party leaving us with just two now.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 11:21 AM

Wouldn't replacing Jeremy Corbyn with Dennis Skinner be replacing like with like? They are two sides of the same coin. The battle for the Labour party is between the extreme left who see their role as the political face of the unions and the more moderate members, who recognise that the party must appeal to the broader interests of the majority of wider public, rather than just the rigid narrow views of the navel gazing left.
What the moderates need to be aware of is the left are prepared to go to any extremes to achieve their aims, even violence, and they know no compromise.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2016, 11:13 AM

Hi

I liked this, sums Corbyn's bunch up at the moment.

Enjoy this written question asked by Diane Abbott on Thursday:

Diane Abbott:

To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what steps she has taken to assist people in the Indonesian province of Province of Davao del Norte affected by the drought in that province.

Justine Greening:

There is no province called Davao del Norte in Indonesia.

[There is one in The Philippines]
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I liked this, sums Corbyn's bunch up at the moment.

Enjoy this written question asked by Diane Abbott on Thursday:

Diane Abbott:

To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what steps she has taken to assist people in the Indonesian province of Province of Davao del Norte affected by the drought in that province.

Justine Greening:

There is no province called Davao del Norte in Indonesia.

[There is one in The Philippines]
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 01:29 PM

Labour leadership candidate Smith wants another referendum the silly man ...

Labour leadership contender Owen Smith wants a second public vote to approve any Brexit deal the UK strikes with the EU, according to a newspaper.
Mr Smith told the Guardian there should be a general election or referendum "when the terms are clear".
He is challenging Jeremy Corbyn to become Labour leader, with fellow MP Angela Eagle also standing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36792176

The decision has been made, now let's get on with leaving the EU. The last thing the country needs now is more uncertainty and dithering about.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top