Join for free
Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 03:36 PM

Re: Boris Johnson out of Conservative leadership contest

Originally Posted by graculus ->
The thing about Gove is that's he's anything but honest, he's cunning, calculating and manipulating. The only person he takes any notice of is himself (well probably Murdoch and his wife as well). His comments about not wanting the top job were a manifestation of his Gollum- like guile.
I didn't explain that well I thought he was honest about himself but I think he is as you have said at all other times. It was I thought a rare moment of clarity when he said he wasn't special enough
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by graculus ->
The thing about Gove is that's he's anything but honest, he's cunning, calculating and manipulating. The only person he takes any notice of is himself (well probably Murdoch and his wife as well). His comments about not wanting the top job were a manifestation of his Gollum- like guile.
Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Agree completely Graculus - and nobody will convince me that the e-mail his wife sent was not deliberately leaked either. All part of the strategy. Gove is nothing but a traitor and I can't believe that at the 11th hour he had just made his mind up to stand for leadership.
I agree with that.
Something odd is going on here and it has also been whispered that the hands of Cameron and Osborne may be in this too.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I could be wrong but I think that Gove and Boris have realized that Boris would not win the votes. Gove was going to assist Boris's attempt ( probably with a potential offer of a good cabinet position) but I don't really think Boris was going to win so maybe they have reversed positions and Boris will get a top cabinet position if Gove wins. Believe me, no politician does anything unless he/she has something to gain personally.

I think you are right . Gove was at Boris's house on Sunday and I think that was what they planned .
If Gove and Boris had both stood anyway it would have divided the leave vote therefore handing the win to Theresa May
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 03:54 PM

If Cameron is doing any negotiating in the background over the appointment of a new leader I don't think it will be in support of someone who campaigned for leave. Hopefully it will be Theresa May who accepts the post of Prime Minister, although I don't envy her this poison chalice.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That's not the impression I get Twink . It's all about the leaked email from Goves wife and Gove demanding certain assurances from Boris which he didn't get.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ris-johnson-f/

I doubt very much Boris would be in any Gove cabinet, I understand there is much bitterness between them now.

All these goings on in Parliment are like some greek drama, You couldn't make it up as they say.
If they can't trust each other what hope have the public got of trusting any politician? I wouldn't have chosen either to lead the Tory party but I do think we need somebody who supported the leave campaign, because they are less likely to give way on discussions with the EU. I feel that many of our politicians have let us down, no matter which way the referendum went, and I would just like the country to be led by somebody who puts Britain first, ahead if their own desires. The other party seem to have no better to offer!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 04:05 PM

If they can't trust each other what hope have the public got of trusting any politician? I wouldn't have chosen either to lead the Tory party but I do think we need somebody who supported the leave campaign, because they are less likely to give way on discussions with the EU. I feel that many of our politicians have let us down, no matter which way the referendum went, and I would just like the country to be led by somebody who puts Britain first, ahead if their own desires. The other party seem to have no better to offer!
Absolutely Twink, appalling childish behavior from many of them. If they worked for me I would sack most of them .
Still, better we see the temper tantrums now before a new leader is elected.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

30-06-2016, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
If Cameron is doing any negotiating in the background over the appointment of a new leader I don't think it will be in support of someone who campaigned for leave. Hopefully it will be Theresa May who accepts the post of Prime Minister, although I don't envy her this poison chalice.
Not so much supporting someone but stopping Boris at all cost .
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 04:12 PM

I could be wrong but I think that Gove and Boris have realized that Boris would not win the votes. Gove was going to assist Boris's attempt ( probably with a potential offer of a good cabinet position) but I don't really think Boris was going to win so maybe they have reversed positions and Boris will get a top cabinet position if Gove wins. Believe me, no politician does anything unless he/she has something to gain personally.
Think you are 100% right with that, they discussed it and Boris decided that Gove had a better chance against May

Old saying "The person who wealds the Knife does not become King"
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Old saying "The person who wealds the Knife does not become King"
Hmm , do you think anyone warned Alexander the Great when he attacked the Gordian Knot with one?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 05:22 PM

I think UJ's phrase 'Nasty Party" certainly reflects how Gove stabbed Boris in the back

Video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36677908

Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top