Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 10:59 AM

Brexit sends economy to 'seven-year low'

Main headline on the BBC right now

Brexit plunges UK economy to worst level since 2009, data suggests

Britain's decision to leave the EU has led to a "dramatic deterioration" in economic activity, not seen since the aftermath of the financial crisis.

Data from Markit's Purchasing Manager's Index, or PMI, shows a fall to 47.7 in July, the lowest level since April in 2009. A reading below 50 indicates contraction.

Both manufacturing and service sectors saw a decline in output and orders.

However, exports picked up, driven by the weakening of the pound.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36864273

Also: Business live: pound tumbles http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-36812583
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Re: Brexit sends economy to 'seven-year low'

Azz stop listening to the doom mongers
the article also states...

So this is a troubling set of results. But it is just one month's worth. It is possible that this is a "shock-induced nadir", as the chief economist at the firm who conducted the survey put it, and that the economy will right itself in the coming months.
In addition, the financial markets have stabilised and in some areas rebounded, in an adjustment after the vote that was described by the IMF as severe but generally orderly.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 04:15 PM

Unfortunately I do not think it is unwarranted - we are already seeing negative effects of the weakened pound.

The Sale of ARM Raises Serious Questions About the Government’s Strategy for British Industry

It’s the nature of the world we live in today that we know more about the multi-million sale of a centre forward to Chelsea than we do about the multi-billion sale of one of the UK’s finest tech companies.

This week ARM, a global success story, was sold. Based in Cambridge, the high tech capital of the UK, the company sold 15billion microchips last year, generating a revenue of $1.5billion. As a world-leading designer of microchips, ARM is at the vanguard of the technology underpinning the “Internet of Things” - widely expected to be the next technological paradigm.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jon-..._11104512.html

It's a disaster for the UK computer industry - selling ARM, a company that can beat Intel, is just utter craziness
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 04:21 PM

Hi

I agree with Azz in respect of the sale of ARM.

We sell off far too many of our best companies to foreign companies who promise everything and then asset strip them.

It will be the first of many, the £ is so low they can buy our Industry on the cheap.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Unfortunately I do not think it is unwarranted - we are already seeing negative effects of the weakened pound.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jon-..._11104512.html

It's a disaster for the UK computer industry - selling ARM, a company that can beat Intel, is just utter craziness
Azz I agree that selling of ARM is a crazy decision we need to retain are top industries not least because they are the training ground for young talent. But I don't equate selling ARM with the referendum. If 'Remain' had won this deal would surely have been on the table anyway (though I appreciate the lower £ will make it cheaper to purchase) .
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 04:35 PM

Blame everything on the referendum why don't you....aim all the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune at the leave campaigners, why not....some will surely find a target.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

22-07-2016, 04:42 PM

The Markit's Purchasing Managers' Index figures were being discussed on the radio at lunch time and the opinion of some people in the business sector was that it is too early to tell what overall effect the leave vote has had on the economy .
A more accurate assessment will be possible in a few months time.

I don't think anyone expected complete plain sailing.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 04:46 PM

Depends who you belive.

Britain BOOMS after EU vote: Ignore the doom-mongers…it’s good news all round
BRITAIN has been boosted by a host of positive economic reports putting paid to scaremongers who promised a financial crisis if we left the EU.

The Bank of England admitted it saw “no evidence” of a sharp economic slowdown and the pound gained in strength as a result.

Positive job figures showing unemployment falling and record numbers in work were heralded by new Prime Minister Theresa May.

Average earnings in the year to May were up 2.3per cent, official figures revealed, and mortgage brokers reported a brisk trade from foreign investors

The FTSE index of the UK’s top 100 companies soared to an 11 month high, closing above the 6,700 mark for the first time since August.

The Bank of England, whose governor Mark Carney warned in May that Brexit was likely “to have a negative impact in the short term” reported that no such impact could be detected.

The Bank’s network of “regional agents” said UK firms were trying to maintain “business as usual.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/691...ic-news-Brexit
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 05:46 PM

I blame Brexit for all this oppressively hot weather we've been having. Had we stayed in, I'm sure it would be pouring down now.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I blame Brexit for all this oppressively hot weather we've been having. Had we stayed in, I'm sure it would be pouring down now.
Quite agree ... And what about all these ants we are witnessing flying about, that's only happened since that damned referbloodyrendum !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top