Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 10:06 AM

Why won't Theresa May announce a cut-off date?

Well, it looks as though from the moment the majority of the public voted for Brexit, there has been a clear danger that hundreds of thousands of migrants will be heading here toot sweet before a date is even given by Theresa May as a cut off point for freedom of movement into the UK.

But is Theresa, or any of her Ministers even listening to the warning words of Brexit people who do not have to be beholding to this new government for their positions. Those who are - such as Boris, would by now have pointed out the danger of not announcing a cut off date for the UK to continue with Freedom of Movement. Instead,we hear nothing from him or others and it seems apparent that now they have their cushy positions with salaries and status to match, are content to betray the public by staying quiet about the need to act quickly and put a cut off date into place.

I do appreciate that we are still part of the EU (and continuing to pay £50million a day for the privilege ) and therefore freedom of movement is still in operation. It does however make me wonder why nothing is being done or said about a cut off date. Is this is a cynical move by Remainers (one of whom is in charge of our country remember) being in no hurry or even worrying at all that a cut off date has not been announced as to when Immigrants into this country and British immigrants to other EU countries will no longer be operating under EU Freedom of Movement rules. WHY?

Yes, I also appreciate that regardless, there will be a surge of immigrants wanting to get into the UK by the cut off date, but if we don’t announce one, and soon, they will be coming in their droves anyway and all these will be in addition to those rushing in when the date is finally announced. We need to do it now without further delay.
There is too much delay in dealing with things that could be dealt with now !!

Discuss please……
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 10:10 AM

Re: Why won't Theresa May announce a cut-off date?

They are going to make it hard as possible I think because they don't want it to happen.

On a personal note I hate discuss please, I'll discuss many things but not if told to do so its not school where we have to be told to do a piece of written work, it's a forum.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 10:44 AM

Hi

I agree that there is much that we could be doing now.

We could immediately announce a freeze on benefits for all new migrants.

What could the EU do about it?

Not a lot, by the time it went through the EU Courts, which we can hold up for years, we will be out.

We have two problems as I see it.

The ones we need are starting to leave or just not coming.

This is due to the fall in the value of the £, they can earn more in other EU Countries.

Locally we have one farm manager and two hydraulic engineers leaving.

The farm manager is going to a chicken farm in Holland, the hydraulic engineers to Austria.

We had some Portuguese Nurses due to arrive, they are not now coming.

The ones which will be coming will be coming for low paid jobs, Minimum Wage and the Benefits we pay.

That is not a good idea, it costs us money and puts a strain on services.

Immigration is not just from the EU, there is nothing to stop us restricting it from Non EU Countries as well.

The other thing we could do is to stop releasing Illegals living here on bail.

When we find them, investigate and then return them to the last EU Country they were in.

This makes a lot of sense, whilst we are still members of the EU, we can do this, the day we leave this stops, they become our problem.

There are a minimum of 600,000 here, they contribute absolutely nothing, time for them to go.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They are going to make it hard as possible I think because they don't want it to happen.

On a personal note I hate discuss please, I'll discuss many things but not if told to do so its not school where we have to be told to do a piece of written work, it's a forum.
Ouch Julie, did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning? Never have I ever meant to order people about and It is quite wrong of you to even bring it up. If you have a problem with the way I word things then please do the decent thing and send me a PM pointing out my error. I am always willing to listen to good advice and take note.but not at the expense of someone who seems in the mood for an argument.
Well sorry to disappoint you but not going to bite.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Ouch Julie, did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning? Never have I ever meant to order people about and It is quite wrong of you to even bring it up. If you have a problem with the way I word things then please do the decent thing and send me a PM pointing out my error. I am always willing to listen to good advice and take note.but not at the expense of someone who seems in the mood for an argument.
Well sorry to disappoint you but not going to bite.
I wasn't wanting an argument I was just saying it's not needed, we tend to discuss anyway we don't need to be directed to do so. Sorry if that offended you I won't bother again just thought a friendly forum didn't need it.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

27-07-2016, 11:01 AM

You're right of course SF, the sad thing is there will be loss of workers from the EU that would be a valuable asset to the British workforce. that is unfortunate.But sacrifices have to be made in order to get the system working as it should be. I'm sure it will work both ways once Article 50 has been applied.

I also agree with you that is a good idea that loss of benefits should be applied to those without the means to pay for housing, employment or the means to support themselves and their families. It would at least get back to many before they head here that the street of Britain are not paved with gold and we are no longer the soft touch to the rest of the world.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 01:27 PM

Hi

I have been thinking, a rare thing I know.

A lot of EU Migrants arrive here because of our Benefits system.

I am concerned about an influx ahead of any Brexit date.

The issue is not with seasonal agricultural workers, which we need, neither is it high earners in jobs where we need their skills.

The issue is primarily with Minimum Wage workers who then claim Benefits.

This is the biggest single type of EU Worker we have here.

Why don't we just announce that with immediate effect we will only pay the same amount of Benefits that they receive in their own Countries.

That would seriously reduce the number of EU Migrants from Eastern Europe at a stroke.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Why don't we just announce that with immediate effect we will only pay the same amount of Benefits that they receive in their own Countries.
Why don't we do that and also to say that you must have a job before coming here.

The fruit farms around here (and no doubt in some other parts of the country) go out to Eastern Europe to recruit
workers before the season starts , they don't leave it to chance wait and take on casual workers.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
We could immediately announce a freeze on benefits for all new migrants.

Immigration is not just from the EU, there is nothing to stop us restricting it from Non EU Countries as well.

The other thing we could do is to stop releasing Illegals living here on bail.

When we find them, investigate and then return them to the last EU Country they were in.
Four things I completely agree with, but I can do nothing about.

Why aren't those who are in a position to do this not doing it? Some ulterior motive, perhaps?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 06:07 AM

I dont believe that May has any intention of enacting Article 50 soon if at all. One of her spokesmen announced it could be as far away as 2020.

Every trick in the book will be applied to reverse our descision.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top