Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 11:01 PM

What Is May Playing At?

I'm a little reluctant to kick off a Brexit thread. I imagine we all got worn out months ago.

But ..
I'm disappointed.
Go on Remainers ... cheer. I believe you're entitled to.

Theresa May ready to block Boris Johnson's point-based migration system after Brexit.
She also declined to commit to a series of other flagship Leave campaign commitments, ..
including using EU contributions to give the NHS an extra £100million a week
cutting VAT on energy bills.
did not rule out retaining preferential access arrangements for EU citizens.
or ending contributions to the EU budget.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...s-point-based/
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ration-and-nhs
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 11:05 PM

Re: What Is May Playing At?

Nothing to cheer about, damage is done.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 11:09 PM

Jeez. A bit of panic set in when I read the title.
I thought you were referring to the Weegie mad woman

APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 11:10 PM

Rememeber she was a REmainer, hope we are going to be sold down the river . Still I am going to remain positive . I really am.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 11:34 PM

However Mrs May has been a long-term critic of the approach because it grants migrants automatic entry if they have the right number of points, regardless of whether they have a job lined up.

She said in June 2010, shortly after her appointment as home secretary:

"Under the points-based system the impetus is with the individual migrant: if they have the right number of points, they can decide whether they want to try to come into the UK.

Under our system, we are saying, 'We do want to welcome the brightest and the best, but we recognise that it is necessary to have a limit because we want to ensure that we are able to control immigration."

The approach has been heavily criticised by migration experts, who have pointed out that the system is actually used to increase the level of migration.

Lord Green of Deddington, the head of Migration Watch, has described a points-based system as "fool's gold" and called for a work permit system to be introduced instead.
I don't have a problem with that , sounds logical to me . A work permit system may be a better option.

She also declined to commit to a series of other flagship Leave campaign commitments, ..
How can she agree to 'commit' to or 'rule' anything in or out at this stage before full negotiations have taken place. She needs to play her cards close to her chest at the moment.

I still remain optimistic that May will do her best even if she did vote to remain and I will reserve judgment until the details of any agreement (not just speculation) are known .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 12:01 AM

Hi

My view.

I voted to leave, so not a Remainer.

A lot of Tosh was put about by both sides in the Campaign.

May is quite right about points systems, no upper limit if people comply, does not address particular shortages, such as agricultural work.

Work Permits do work, you can set precise limits on how many people can enter, and they are for a limited length of time.

We currently have around 30,000 EU Doctors and Nurses working in the NHS, we need them now, as we train more Nurses ourselves, we won't.

It is just a more effective system than a points system.

As for the financial pledges made by leave, they were just a joke.

They added up to far more than we pay the EU every year, which in any case was not £350 million a week.

Nigel Farage distanced himself from those figures, quite properly.

No Prime Minister would be daft enough to promise extra money until they know what effect Brexit has on the Economy, if the Economy suffers, the Tax Revenue goes down, there may be less money available, not more.

We will still be contributing to some EU Budgets for many years, if not permanently.

We use EU funded satellites foe one thing, it does not make financial sense to do otherwise.

At the minute we are still in the EU Single Market, with a devalued currency, so of course we are doing well, our exports are on the up.

It is what happens when the leave the single market which will determine our finances.

At the G20, we have had a warning from the Japanese, time will tell.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I'm a little reluctant to kick off a Brexit thread. I imagine we all got worn out months ago.

But ..
I'm disappointed.
Go on Remainers ... cheer. I believe you're entitled to.

Theresa May ready to block Boris Johnson's point-based migration system after Brexit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...s-point-based/
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ration-and-nhs
At first, I thought this a little worrying. However, further points have been made that have gone some way to allaying my fears.

Until I've heard more, I'll trust May to do what her electorate have demanded.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 05:24 AM

Hi

Apparently we will all know more today.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-bri...11A15B?rpc=401

What I find interesting is how other Countries, on whom we rely for investment , such as Japan, are starting to use their financial muscle to get what is best for them.

Half of all inward Investment into the EU from Japan currently comes to the UK, if Japan decides to switch that directly to the EU when we leave, that is going to hurt.

http://news.sky.com/story/japans-unp...rexit-10564585

The three Brexiteers in charge of leaving, Johnson, Davies and Fox, have their work cut out now.

I do not think that there will be an immediate effect, but it will certainly impact on the exit negotiations.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 05:55 AM

It's very early days and there are many difficult choices ahead. We must be realistic and accept that not all of our preferences will be achievable, but at the moment Mrs May has my every confidence that she will do her very best for the UK. Just thank goodness we haven't got Cameron and Osborne trying to do the deals...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 06:32 AM

I dont trust May she is a Tory and a remaniac, under her watch as home secretary she failed in her task to reduce immigration.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top