Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2016, 06:12 PM

Re: Brexit Again

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

They have had to set up an entire new Department, get an office and the requisite IT systems, telephones etc etc.

It is here

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...european-union

You can follow the progress there.

Cameron resigned straight away, so nothing could be done until we got a new PM, who then had to appoint a new Cabinet.

There is a lot that has been achieved since she became Prime Minister on 16th July.
Yes Gibbs I am aware of all that...

The biggest problem has been the three Brexiteers themselves, they could not agree a strategy amongst themselves as to what they wanted,
If they can't get on get rid of some of them, they are being paid to do a job not bicker amongst themselves .
That should have been made clear to the 3 in charge from the start.

She seems to have got some sort of agreement for them to adhere to .To my mind there is no point in triggering Article 50 until they have got the new department in it's office and fully staffed.

I know others will disagree, but this is my view.
The office should be more or less set up in the next few weeks and some staff recruited who can make a start.
I see no advantage in delaying the triggering of Article 50 any longer than necessary or waiting until every last paper clip is set in place.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2016, 08:55 PM

How can the EU lose more than us ? They import ' millions to us,' but now we have to compete with them to sell our goods to other Countries. Cheap EU holidays will cost more,it will not be so easy to travel around as have been. Britain is now looking for trade with China ,but for years Chines goods were always looked upon as cheap and useless
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2016, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
How can the EU lose more than us ? They import ' millions to us,' but now we have to compete with them to sell our goods to other Countries. Cheap EU holidays will cost more,it will not be so easy to travel around as have been. Britain is now looking for trade with China ,but for years Chines goods were always looked upon as cheap and useless
The price of goods is largely consumer driven, and that reflects in the quality. If people want "cheap" than that's exactly what they get, and the Chinese can accommodate that market if required.

It's also worth noting that the Chinese are more than capable of making very high quality products as well.
For example, the American company "Buck Knives", have certain models made under licence for them in China. These are often found to be better quality than the USA made counterparts!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2016, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Old Supporter ->
I see in todays papers that the EU is suggesting that after we finally leave, the British should need visas to visit Europe. If that means all the Europeans will not be able to come and go here as they wish, would that be a price worth paying?
Why would you need visas? I just turned up at the UK and Sweden border with my (non EU) Australian passport they stamp it and let me in for 90 days (might be more).

Of course it doesn't work the other way - every (non Australian) passport holder needs a visa to get in to god's own country.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2016, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Why would you need visas? I just turned up at the UK and Sweden border with my (non EU) Australian passport they stamp it and let me in for 90 days (might be more).

Of course it doesn't work the other way - every (non Australian) passport holder needs a visa to get in to god's own country.
Hi

We are going to be introducing Visas to control Immigration, including not allowing people in who have Criminal Records.

One of the main things in the Brexit Campaign was the UK letting in EU Citizens who have Criminal Records, and quite rightly so.

Quite a number of British Criminals travel freely to the EU, they don't want our Criminals either.

The problem we have is that EU has free travel in the Schengen Area, so a Rumanian who commits an offence in Italy will have that crime recorded in Italy, not Romania.

There is no current computer system capable of interrogating all databases, we would need to rely on Europol for that and some of the Brexiteers are determined that we withdraw from Europol and the European Arrest Warrant.

The UK , for all our faults, is currently the best in the World at tracking Criminals.

It is no coincidence that the Head of Europol is currently a UK Citizen.

This is a Police matter, I am not Police, but as a concerned father, it is a concern to me.

I do not want violent criminals, rapists etc here in the UK, we have enough of our own.

We now come to something that it is much closer to my heart.

Persons of Interest.

Those of you who have followed my previous posts will know that I have a very serious issue with Terrorists and those who support them.

I loathe and detest them, I do not hate them, because hate is a dangerous emotion which prevents rational thought, and the object of the exercise is to eliminate them.

It requires a cold, calculating mindset which accepts that they have put themselves outside any norms of Human Rights.

We have some very brave people here in the UK who voluntarily put their lives at risk, the people at the pointy end who have to protect us, both at home and abroad.

We rely on them totally , they will always be at risk, but we have a responsibility to minimize that risk.

The recently appointed Head of EU Security is a UK Citizen, appointed on grounds of ability, the best person to protect us from Terrorists.

I want us out of the EU, I do not want Turkey and the Ukraine admitted, I do not want Merkel putting us all at risk because of her stupidity.

However I do not want us out of Europe, just out of the EU.

There are many benefits to us have very close contacts with the EU, we need to keep those contacts and develop them.

It is our in our own best interests to do so.

This will mean a rational approach to leaving, not the irrational approach of leaving straight away, it puts us so much at risk.

It is to our benefit to have systems in place and to contribute to EU Budgets which are to our Benefit, Europol, European Security and Euro Space Agency.

These are essential to our Security.

I have two points of view in this respect.

One is as a Father, I do not want EU Criminals coming here, we have enough of our own.

The other is as a Professional, I do not want Terrorists, I really, seriously do not want them.

We have some exceptionally brave individuals here in the UK who put their lives at risk in dealing with them.

There a couple of them here on this Forum.

We need to protect them, minimise the danger to them, make sure they have no nasty surprises when they do so.

They are husbands, sons, fathers, brothers.

We also have females, not on this forum who do the same.

I voted out, I do not regret that, but I see no need to rush until we have everything in place to protect those who protect us.

Just my personal view.

They deserve to come home uninjured and safe.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2016, 11:00 AM

However I do not want us out of Europe, just out of the EU.
I agree. We have been trading with Europe before the EU came along; we have been trading with Europe before even the EEC was thought of; we have been trading with Europe for many centuries, and doing so very successfully without the need for any centralised political control.

So why do we need the EU bureaucrats in Brussels, who dictate to us what we can do and what we can't do, and even charge us for doing it, if we have managed perfectly well beforehand?

It is to our benefit to have systems in place and to contribute to EU Budgets which are to our Benefit, Europol, European Security and Euro Space Agency.
Yes, I can see the sense and the advantage in having such organisations, as long as each can work independently without being under the overall aegis of the EU mandarins.

In fact, I think all of this would be perfectly possible, and undoubtedly to our collective advantage, if the political EU disappeared completely.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2016, 06:49 PM

Hi

And so it begins, on Wednesday, discussions on Mutual Cooperation.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...ence-session/?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

12-09-2016, 08:08 PM

Hi

David Davies has just had his say.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...the-most-com/?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2016, 08:58 PM

Hi

And so it begins, on Wednesday, discussions on Mutual Cooperation.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...ence-session/?
Nothing wrong with co-operation.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-09-2016, 08:58 PM

Hi

David Davies has just had his say.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...the-most-com/?
Hello.

Come back Nigel. You're needed.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top