Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 01:33 PM

Hunt to help fishing industry if no deal????

JH has announced he will put 9Billion aside to asist the
farming and fishing communities in the event of a no deal
brexit!
What the hell is he talking about?
The fishing industry is praying for a no deal so they can get
access to their fishing grounds again and so become viable
again!
Has he forgotten we relinquished them in favour of the eu
when we made the mistake of joining the so called free
market!
GGMS!!!

Regards Donkeyman!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 02:58 PM

Re: Hunt to help fishing industry if no deal????

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
brexit!
again!
market!
GGMS!!!

Regards Donkeyman!
Hi

They will need help.

We, as a nation, do not eat most of the species of fish we catch, we export them, primarily to the EU.

We eat, primarily, cod and haddock, there are not huge quantities of these in our territorial waters.

When we leave our fish exports will be subject to tariffs and quotas.

The system is explained here.

https://www.seafish.org/media/public...ood_170330.pdf

A No Deal means full Tariffs, but more importantly, the UK will have no quotas until we have arranged a deal with the EU.

This is what I mean by the technical bits, which I constantly bang on about.

The other issue is timing, a lot of our high value exports, from certain fisheries, have to get to the EU Fish Markets in 24 hours, in particular, Dublin Bay Prawns and Scallops.

Any delays at Dover will reduce their value.

When we leave, we have the potential to double our catch and exports, but not for a few years.

We need new boats and crews and the inspection and transport infrastructure.

This takes time.

They will need support in the interim.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

They will need help.

We, as a nation, do not eat most of the species of fish we catch, we export them, primarily to the EU.

We eat, primarily, cod and haddock, there are not huge quantities of these in our territorial waters.

When we leave our fish exports will be subject to tariffs and quotas.

The system is explained here.

https://www.seafish.org/media/public...ood_170330.pdf

A No Deal means full Tariffs, but more importantly, the UK will have no quotas until we have arranged a deal with the EU.

This is what I mean by the technical bits, which I constantly bang on about.

The other issue is timing, a lot of our high value exports, from certain fisheries, have to get to the EU Fish Markets in 24 hours, in particular, Dublin Bay Prawns and Scallops.

Any delays at Dover will reduce their value.

When we leave, we have the potential to double our catch and exports, but not for a few years.

We need new boats and crews and the inspection and transport infrastructure.

This takes time.

They will need support in the interim.

We set the quotas - they are our territorial waters. Why on earth do we need to ask the EU ? (unless you mean import quotas) in which case I would like to see where else mainland Europe will get the quantities of fish they need .... Norway ? USA ? Japan ? Or they could just buy a license, and a quota from the UK (at considerable cost of course).

Under a no-deal we can refuse any vessel any rights in which to fish our waters. That includes the Dutch factory ships, the French and Spanish fleets, and any foreign flag boats.

As far as frustrating the borders at Dover are concerned, this is against WTO rules - the mayor of Calais has already explained this and that no borders will be blocked to frustrate the trade between our country and the rest of Europe.

I imagine the 9 billion is to refund the tarrif duties as a result of our fishing exports.... maybe.... who knows, it's probably one of Hunts arbitrary figures to try and please his mate Hammond.

If you ask me what I would do, I would pump 9 billion into coastguard vessels so we can patrol our waters properly and ensure that any licenses can be verified on demand, any boats fishing illegally will be seized, returned to our nearest UK port with the boat impounded (at a huge daily fee) until the fines are paid. If not, we take ownership of the boat and auction it off, landing any catches and selling them, with the money going to the coastal towns.

I would make all ports, "free ports" and license all fishing in our waters, based on number of days at sea and the beam length of the vessel. All monies going back into fishing communities directly, set up as fishing "regions" around the UK.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We set the quotas - they are our territorial waters. Why on earth do we need to ask the EU ?

Under a no-deal we can refuse any vessel any rights in which to fish our waters. That includes the Dutch factory ships, the French and Spanish fleets, and any foreign flag boats.

As far as frustrating the borders at Dover are concerned, this is against WTO rules - the mayor of Calais has already explained this and that no borders will be blocked to frustrate the trade between our country and the rest of Europe.

I imagine the 9 billion is to refund the tarrif duties as a result of our fishing exports.

If you ask me what I would do, I would pump 9 billion into coastguard vessels so we can patrol our waters properly and ensure that any licenses can be verified on demand, any boats fishing illegally will be seized, returned to our nearest UK port with the boat impounded (at a huge daily fee) until the fines are paid. If not, we take ownership of the boat and auction it off, landing any catches and selling them, with the money going to the coastal towns.

I would make all ports, "free ports" and license all fishing in our waters, based on number of days at sea and the beam length of the vessel. All monies going back into fishing communities directly, set up as fishing "regions" around the UK.
Hi

Stop and think before posting.

Also read the links provided.

The quotas are not not our catch quotas, the are EU Quotas for Imports.

It is not 9 billion, it is £6 Billion and is to be split between Agriculture and Fisheries.

Borders at Dover.

WTO Rules require border control.

The EU will not be frustrating Trade, they will merely be checking that the vehicles have the correct documentation.

If they do, no problem, but checks take time.

The UK Freight Transport Association have produced a report on this.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 03:43 PM

Hi

It is not 9 billion, it is £6 Billion and is to be split between Agriculture and Fisheries.

Borders at Dover.

The EU will not be frustrating Trade, they will merely be checking that the vehicles have the correct documentation.

In short what you are saying is, the EU is there to make things easier for its members. Leaving will make things more difficult, which is not bad, but takes adepting and thinking ahead. Resting on your laurels and doing nothing makes for problems that could be avoided.
You may be a one track pony, but you are no donkey.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
brexit!
again!
market!
GGMS!!!

Regards Donkeyman!
Some scientific facts. I hope you are able to grasp the meaning of it.

British fishermen will soon be able to catch more fish, but will be worse off with a hard Brexit

www.volkskrant.nl

British fishermen will soon be able to catch more fish, but will be worse off with a hard Brexit

British fishermen do not become more aware of the departure of their country from the European Union if the removal between London and Brussels ends in a divorce. The extra benefits that the closure of British waters brings to EU fishermen are not in addition to the additional costs of more expensive exports, say researchers at Wageningen University & Research.

With a hard Brexit, the turnover of the British fish sector after 2025 increases annually by 342 million euros: they can catch more. This profit is completely lost due to the 390 million euros that the British will have to spend on costs (import tariffs and other trade costs) associated with the export of fish and fish products to the EU.

After the Brexit, the British consumer will spend less for his fish & chips, because the fish will become cheaper for him. But that means lower sales for fishermen and the British fish processing industry. In the rest of Europe, in a "fishing war", consumers are going to pay more for their herring and mackerel. For the Netherlands, that means an increase of 3.3 percent. For the Irish, the fish really becomes expensive: prices go up by 9.4 percent.

Appeal to other fishing grounds

It was already known that Dutch fishermen are being hit hard by the British leaving the EU. The Dutch fleet obtains 48 percent of its fish from British waters. In the years following the completion of a possible divorce, this halving nevertheless had a more limited impact on Dutch fishing than some sounds from Scheveningen and Urk believe.

The Wageningen researchers assume that Dutch vessels will use different fishing grounds. Since they are further away from the fish auctions in the Netherlands, the fishermen will have to contend with higher fuel and personnel costs. The fish-processing companies are hit more severely, who have to miss almost 13 percent of their turnover as a result of the British exit and do not just have an alternative.

But as a whole, Dutch fishing will continue to grow, although by 2030 that would be only 3 percent instead of 6 percent if the British had remained members of the European Union. The consequences for Belgium are greater: this is due to a fall in revenues of 6 percent. Ireland is facing a 5 percent decrease, as opposed to a 1 percent growth if their neighbors refrained from leaving.

The consequences for the European Union as a whole seem to be better than expected. "Negligible," the researchers even say: fish production is expected to decrease slightly by 2030, "with or without a Brexit."

Symbolic meaning

After all, it is mainly the British who feel the most pain. Europe now accounts for 75 percent of British fish exports; conversely, exports from the EU to the United Kingdom are 7 percent (and 13 percent for the Netherlands). The British will have to find alternative markets, especially in Asia and Africa, and will import more from Asia.

The sector's contribution to the British economy is small, but "the liberation of fishing" has great symbolic significance for the Brexit proponents. Last year the British government scrapped a 1964 treaty that gave five European countries (including the Netherlands) access to fishing grounds within the 12-mile zone around the United Kingdom. "We're taking matters into our own hands again," said Environment Minister Michael Gove on that occasion. London wanted to show its muscles in the run-up to the negotiations on the terms of the separation with Europe, Brussels noted.

However, European fishermen only get 10 thousand tonnes of fish from the UK's 12-mile zone, valued at 19 million euros, compared to 708 thousand tonnes by their British counterparts (according to figures from 2015). The impact on European fishermen will be greater if the British also lock their 200-mile zone.

The Wageningen figures undermine the position of the politicians and administrators who passionately advocate this. Last month the British press reported that Prime Minister Theresa May does not want to get off the ground so as not to complicate the discussions with Brussels. This to the chagrin of its environment minister. For Gove, the recapture of British fishing grounds is also a personal issue: in 2016, he blamed the "collapse" of his father's fish processing plant in Aberdeen to the European fisheries policy. Gove senior contradicted that later.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 04:14 PM

Hi

Borders at Dover.

I have thought about my posts - firstly, the 9 billion is what Donkeyman quoted earlier (if you have bothered to read it) and secondly I already put in brackets in my post about the different quota amounts that are to do with fishing ...

The WTO do not allow trade to be frustrated at borders - read your WTO rules - if Calais tried this, they could be subjected to sanctions from the members - my point is valid.

and we can sell our fish all over the world according to our own trade deals we will set up. If these checks "take time" so be it - we do this anyway.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

01-07-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I have thought about my posts - firstly, the 9 billion is what Donkeyman quoted earlier (if you have bothered to read it) and secondly I already put in brackets in my post about the different quota amounts that are to do with fishing ...

The WTO do not allow trade to be frustrated at borders - read your WTO rules - if Calais tried this, they could be subjected to sanctions from the members - my point is valid.

and we can sell our fish all over the world according to our own trade deals we will set up. If these checks "take time" so be it - we do this anyway.
Hi

Leaving is important, it is what we voted for.

Getting it right is also important, we need to minimise any disadvantage and maximise any advantages.

Your facts are wrong, simple as.

it is not the first time and no doubt it will not be the last.

The devil is in the detail, which is what we have been ignoring, the EU has not.

I am well aware of WTO Rules and what is required.

WTO requires checks and duties to be collected.

This is not a problem on long distance trade, there are systems for it, the containers are at sea for days and weeks, so the systems can cope.

Aircraft freight is subject to checks and inspections, there are facilities at the Airports for that.

The Channel Ports and Tunnel have no such systems or infrastructure available.

We are struggling for even basic things, like enough qualified inspectors to do the certificates for food exports.

The EU is much better prepared than we are.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

01-07-2019, 04:53 PM

Hi

Leaving is important, it is what we voted for.

Getting it right is also important, we need to minimise any disadvantage and maximise any advantages.

Your facts are wrong, simple as.

it is not the first time and no doubt it will not be the last.

The devil is in the detail, which is what we have been ignoring, the EU has not.

I am well aware of WTO Rules and what is required.

WTO requires checks and duties to be collected.

This is not a problem on long distance trade, there are systems for it, the containers are at sea for days and weeks, so the systems can cope.

Aircraft freight is subject to checks and inspections, there are facilities at the Airports for that.

The Channel Ports and Tunnel have no such systems or infrastructure available.

We are struggling for even basic things, like enough qualified inspectors to do the certificates for food exports.

The EU is much better prepared than we are.
My facts aren't wrong - you can point them out if you like - I'm happy to explain away
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
In short what you are saying is, the EU is there to make things easier for its members. Leaving will make things more difficult, which is not bad, but takes adepting and thinking ahead. Resting on your laurels and doing nothing makes for problems that could be avoided.
You may be a one track pony, but you are no donkey.
Well said Solly! I like it!
However l must agree with Bread! We have the fish!
EU wants the fish!
Our fishing community is allready running on empty! So should
not need assistance, only to expand!
The rest of the world wants fish at the right price!
Softly Softly catchee monkey?

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top