Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 02:17 PM

It's Official! We don't have to pay the £39BN.

Interesting article in the Daily Express online today from Joe Barnes, Brussels Correspondent.

PARTIAL QUOTE.
(There is more in the article, but only typing out the portion pertaining to the £39BN.)

EU crisis: Brussels admits no legal way to make UK hand over £39bn after no-deal Brexit.

European Union bosses have conceded that they would have no legal case for recovering the £39 billion Brexit bill in the event of a no-deal.

Guther Oettinger, the Brussels budget commissioner, fears he won’t be able to find a court in the world that would support the European Union’s effort to secure funds from Britain after a no-deal Brexit.

The German eurocrat however, claimed Boris Johnson would not be able to win “any happy arrangements” from Brussels if he commits to a hardline stance and refuses to fork out the Brexit bill. Mr Johnson has insisted he will stick to the current withdrawal agreement, which includes the multi-billion pound payout and hated Northern Ireland backstop, if he can secure a number of concessions.

But the Prime Minister said on Sunday, Britain could refuse to pay the vast sums to Brussels in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

He said: “very substantial sums” could be redirected to domestic priorities after reports surfaces that legal advice suggests that the payment could be slashed to as little as £7bn.

In a Brexit boost to Mr Johnson, the EU has conceded that the Prime Minister isn’t legally obliged to hand over the cash.

Mr Ottenger said: “Our difficulty is that we could not enforce EU demands in any court in the world. “Johnson, on the other hand, must know that he would certainly not get any happy arrangements with us if he refused to pay, against all reason”.

The Prime Minister is yet to make the direct threat to Brussels, according to the European Commission.

A spokeswoman for the Brussels-based EU executive said: “All commitments that were taken by 28 member states should be honoured. “This is also and especially true in a no-deal scenario where the United Kingdom would be expected to continue to honour all commitments made during EU membership”. “Settling accounts is essential to starting a new relationship on the right foot, based on mutual trust”

Guy Verhofstadt, the European Parliament’s Brexit co-ordinator, said Britain would not be offered a free trade deal after a no-deal Brexit unless the money is paid.

He said: “If the UK doesn’t pay what is due, the EU will not negotiate a trade deal. “After a no deal, this will be a first condition of any talks. Britain is better than this”.

Jean-Claude Paris, a former head of the European Commission’s legal service, said: “If the UK refuses to pay its debts to the EU, then the EU will not accept to negotiate a trade agreement with the UK.”

Meanwhile, the Prime Minister will send his chief negotiator to Brussels to discuss the Irish backstop solutions.

David Frost, Downing Street’s Brexit sherpa, will meet EU officials in an effort to find an alternative method of preventing customs checks on the Irish border and preventing no deal.

UK officials claim the discussions are simple follow-ups to the Prime Minister’s weekend meetings with Donald Tusk, the European Council’s president, Angela Merkel and Emmanuel Macron.

END OF PARTIAL QUOTE

1/// Could someone explain what Boris means by "sticking to the withdrawal agreement, which includes the £39bn and the hated backstop" I hope it does not mean what I think it means.

2/// We are sticking to the agreement to pay our debts. It comes to £7BN.

3/// Well, we can certainly see that once EU officials come out of their Brussels bubble to threaten the UK once again, even though Boris hasn’t officially said we will withhold the money in the event of a no-deal, They must be worried!!

What a refreshing change to see the bullies feeling bullied themselves. Not nice, ey?
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 02:25 PM

Re: It's Official! We don't have to pay the £39BN.

If T May had not been so wimpish in the first place it would have all been over and settled by now.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 02:30 PM

Perhaps you should start reading a NEWSpaper. The guardian brought this item on june 13. You can read it here: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...age-uk-economy

I thought your knowledge on brexit would be more current, instead you bring an item more than 2 months old. Try to stay up speed.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Perhaps you should start reading a NEWSpaper. The guardian brought this item on june 13. You can read it here: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...age-uk-economy

I thought your knowledge on brexit would be more current, instead you bring an item more than 2 months old. Try to stay up speed.
Only mentioning what I have read today. I wouldn't know what that Leftie Rag that has to depend on contributions to survive, wrote, but it was kind of you to bring up the subject 2 months ago for discussion. NOT!

Oh, and all these quotes have been made since the G7.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
if t may had not been so wimpish in the first place it would have all been over and settled by now.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->

I refuse to read that, I don't consider the Grauniad to be a Newspaper.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I refuse to read that, I don't consider the Grauniad to be a Newspaper.
As you see you need only to wait two months to be informed on it. No wonder it took two years to negotiate a deal with you lot. You're ignorant of facts.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 03:00 PM

He said: “very substantial sums” could be redirected to domestic priorities after reports surfaces that legal advice suggests that the payment could be slashed to as little as £7bn.
I understand our 'commitment' is about 9 billion, anything else is discretionary on condition we get a transition period.

If we leave without the 'withdrawal agreement' (and transition period) 9 billion should suffice.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

27-08-2019, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Only mentioning what I have read today. I wouldn't know what that Leftie Rag that has to depend on contributions to survive, wrote, but it was kind of you to bring up the subject 2 months ago for discussion. NOT!
I did, and even supplied a link to your parliament's library where you can find this. Look up thread: nigels new brexit party, post 140 by me, and read all about. 😘
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

27-08-2019, 03:20 PM

Who cares whether the Leftie Rag printed it first. The great thing is that it is what it is. The EU cannot make us pay £39bn for something it is not going to provide, and a facility of transition that we will not be using.

The legal bills for future committments/pensions etc come to between £7bn and £9bn, this will be fully honoured with payment in the event of a no-deal. So if the EU then decides to get bolshy and refuse trade to the UK, it will be shown up for exactly what it is. a corrupt, bullying dictatorship, who will have a struggle to explain to the world of it's actions.

Over to you....

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top