Join for free
Page 54 of 55 « First < 4 44 52 53 54 55 >
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2015, 08:42 PM

Re: What books are you reading now?

Gentle Eating
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2015, 09:58 PM

The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson. He really has a downer on American Tourists with cameras.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I'm reading The Shadow of War by Stewart Binns.
Finished this last night - The Great War was such a terrible waste of life yet we still haven't learned from it!

I'm now on Odysseus - The Oath, a 2-parter by Valerio Massimo Manfredi, one of my favourite authors.

I'm hoping it's as good as most of the others I have read by him.
The Alexander trilogy was a detailed look at Alexander's awe-inspiring life. stevmk2
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 07:17 PM

You all put me to shame. You are reading clever stuff to eddukate your mind. Me I read sumfink borin to send me to sleep.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2015, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
You all put me to shame. You are reading clever stuff to eddukate your mind. Me I read sumfink borin to send me to sleep.
I read all sorts of books but true crime and biographies are my favourites and Bobby Fischer, the chess player, was a really complex character, very interesting.

I think War and Peace might put me to sleep...
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
It is a damn good read - or at least I thought so .
Yes I thought so as well.. But I don't think that I could face reading it again
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 05:38 PM

The mind, when reading is a funny thing. When I was younger I read the Lord of the Rings even before it became popular. I read all of the Russian Classics including the Brother's Karamazov by Dostoyevsky and Madame Bovary the French writer Gustave Flaubert. One of the first books I read was a Tale of Two Cities and I know I was very young when I read that. I loved the Man in the Iron Mask.
Now I am reading about people moving to Spain to breed Llamas. A pleasant enough easy read. However, some incredibly brain numbing literature passing as bed time reading is about all I can manage now. Good Grief even corn flake packaging is more of an intelligent read than some of the garbage that now I digest.
Why is this? has my brain become addled with life? or as I suspect, I have dumbed down with age.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 06:32 PM

Funny you should say this. I read a few books by Solzhenitsyn when I was in my late teens. In particular A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch, Cancer Wars, and the Gulag Archipelago, and I remember being incensed that the rest of the world was doing nothing about these things. Now I doubt I could get through the first few chapters.

I think this is more because we have become used to our 'stories' coming in one or two hour visual chunks where we have no need to think or imagine stuff as it is all there laid out for us.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2015, 08:04 PM

I am now reading The Stranger Beside Me - Ann Rule about the murderer Ted Bundy, true crime for a change..
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2015, 08:11 PM

I've been dipping in and out of
'iMacs for Dummies'

Still can't get my Photoshop CS5 to work though

Page 54 of 55 « First < 4 44 52 53 54 55 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top