Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 03:51 PM

Re: How can I get motivated?

Well longdogs, I wonder if you have achieved the same as me today?

After going to allotment to collect the banking, and having already eaten lunch, I tackled the bedroom again. I threw out quite a few of my old computer magazines (dated 2011, 2012), with many more to follow. That felt liberating, as I realised I could do it without crying!

I moved the new hifi off of the emptied chest of drawers, and it's now sharing the unit with the tv. Then...I took out all the drawers, set them aside further away, and by myself dragged the carcase out of the flat and to our bin shed area, then making 3 journeys with the drawers. If it's still there Monday I'll phone the Council for its removal. One drawer needs mending but, you never know, we have the vultures coming round on a regular basis searching for freebies.

I've also chatted to the bloke next door who is daddy to the two delightful little children. For a small fee, he has agreed to pull up my old carpet for me, to save me having to get down on my knees, and scraping the glue and stuff off.

He might help me with painting, if I need it, but ATM he's doing his own bathroom, so may be busy. He worked for 9 months doing stuff but walked away when he was no longer getting paid. He might be a bit of a handyman, but I don't know what his quality is like.

I will shortly measure the bedroom and on Monday will choose and order a new carpet. At the same time I will choose a new one for the hallway. That is so small so that won't be expensive.

I will also walk up the road to the bed shop and talk about ordering my new one, and the over bed storage unit I want.

Next, I have to decide what colour I want for my walls.

Spoke to 3 more Committee members today and none raised objection to me using the building as temp storage. Got a quote on the phone from Big Yellow Storage and it came to £104 for 8 weeks. £13 roughly is returnable deposit.

I have to weigh it all up. Down the road would be so convenient, will almost cost me nothing, but would be at my own risk and uninsured. But if the project over runs I wouldn't be compelled to keep paying out.

I remember when Mum and I did my lounge (I found the storage contract and it was May 2010). Again it was for 8 weeks but I hired a 35sq ft unit. I really did need the 8 weeks because of the stuff that had to go. And it had to come back again. I was absolutely knackered at the end. She commented on how I looked, and said I was making myself ill.

What I can't wait for is...

A bigger bed
The overbed storage
Seeing emptier floors
A new carpet
Lighter walls

Pretty much everything then.

Oh, and I shall varnish the inside of the window and may consider either spraying the outside of the storage radiator, or removing it. It's a nuisance.

So. I've motivated myself. How are you doing?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 08:40 PM

You certainly did motivate yourself. Well done for having such a productive day.

I didn't start as early as I would have liked but did manage to get going. I found that tidying up first gave me the incentive I needed, followed by two coats of paint on the ceiling, repairing a few joists and re-laying some of the floor. It's all ready to continue tiling tomorrow.

it seems we both got started in the same way - having a clear out first.

Will report back tomorrow.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 04:32 PM

Right, come on Longdogs. I'm beating you on progress!

Been out today to Carpetright and ordered carpet for bedroom and hallway, and paid my deposit.

If the bed shop had been open, the bed and storage unit may have been ordered too!

Also went into Wilko and started buying the misc stuff for decorating, like rollers in trays, paint stirrer, roller bags (to keep them damp), and paint guide.

Still not decided on paint colour, but new carpet is a light grey.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 10:43 PM

I am impressed Jazzi. Looks like you are going for it. It was a good idea to order the carpet as it sometimes takes a while for fitting.

Had a reasonable day myself- tiled one complete wall and around shower tray, will start second wall tomorrow.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

11-04-2016, 08:34 AM

Good! That's good.

I wasn't sure about the carpet, but as it's a important part of the refurb thought I would get it done. As I said, they only then need a week's notice for fitting, so I can work round that.

Shall enquire about the bed today. If they only want a deposit, that's fine, as I'll need to transfer the full cost into my current account.

Then tomorrow or Wednesday I'll reserve the storage unit, and get moving.

I might have a rest for one day, and just pop over to my allotment, to put some fabric mulch over my new raised bed, to keep weeds down while I'm working indoors.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

11-04-2016, 09:34 AM

Yes, you had a really good result with the storage. Glad that we have somehow motivated eachother. Will post progress later on today.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

11-04-2016, 01:31 PM

Deposit paid, and been on the phone to reserve the temporary storage unit.

Will go tomorrow to pay the first invoice and buy some packing boxes. Starting on Thursday.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

11-04-2016, 08:34 PM

Have tiled half the next wall including around the window. Despite a one hour power cut.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

11-04-2016, 08:48 PM

Well done. Keep it up.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

12-04-2016, 05:38 PM

Paid my first invoice with Shurguard temporary storage, and bought 6 boxes.

Started packing up stuff when I got home but ran out of packing tape, so had to dash down to our High Street for some more.

Will continue later. Might rest this evening.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top