Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 02:01 AM

Tv screen goes dark

I have a 3 yr old Westinghouse flat screen TV. On occasion the screen goes quite dark. Way too dark to watch. If I turn off the TV, and immediately turn it back on, the problem goes away. It may be days before it happens again. Does anyone have any idea what is happening ? A precursor of a completely failed TV ?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 11:37 AM

Re: Tv screen goes dark

Having been a tv service engineer for more than 40 years you would think I could help. Unfortunately that's a new one on me. The only thing I would say is How old is the tv? Is it time it took early retirement?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 11:40 AM

You need to keep peddling on the bicycle to power up the generator. Stop peddling and no electricity.
SIMPLES
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 11:54 AM

Sounds like in might be the power supply to the backlighting, or at least that would be my first check. It is working at first but then something is breaking down. Having a look for a bulging or leaking electrolytic capacitor would be a good start.

Then again it could be something else entirely but it is purely guess work without actually testing it.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 12:41 PM

Check thorough the settings menu to make sure its not in 'eco' mode. That can get a tad uppity and hold the back lighting in turn-down mode for too long. All brands differ slightly, but the eco mode can cause problems across many ranges and for what little power it could save, its not worth the hassle.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have a 3 yr old Westinghouse flat screen TV. On occasion the screen goes quite dark. Way too dark to watch. If I turn off the TV, and immediately turn it back on, the problem goes away. It may be days before it happens again. Does anyone have any idea what is happening ? A precursor of a completely failed TV ?
A quick search of Google for "Westinghouse TV going dark" gets quite a few answers.

Main suggestion seems to be a capacitor failing.

Where you are, is it more cost effective to get the man in to fix it?

Or would a new TV be more value?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2020, 10:39 AM

Apart from what LongDriver has suggested looking into, it's just a fault that probably isn't repairable from the outside of the TV. Perhaps time to think about getting a new one as hardly anyone gets them repaired these days.

Now, if it had been years ago when big old CRT televisions were the norm, I might have been able to hazard a guess or two without looking at the TV but even that would have been hit or miss. I don't know anything about what goes on inside modern flat screen TVs apart from them being backlit LED or using OLED.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2020, 12:10 PM

A lot of electrical goods these days have become throw away items, they go wrong then get thrown away.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top