Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2010, 06:09 PM

Re: Heated Bebate

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Thanks, we need it!

Took 8 years of Bush to get us in this mess; now some people expect Obama to have ended the war, fixed the economy,cured our oil depemdence, passed a perfect health care bill, ended DADT and in general brought us into the Promised Land .... in 2 years, with opposition all the way! Puleeez!!!
Unfortunately there are a lot of stupid people wearing blinders that are allowed to vote. They have short memories and demand instant answers and solutions. Had Obama done nothing when he started his term like the Republicans have done for the past two years where would we be today. I'd say we'd be a third world nation in a deep depression with soup lines like nobody has ever seen before.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2010, 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=Cassie;76865]Im sorry Bob but I just have to know if the 'bebate is a typo?lol[/QUOT

Sorry, the Republicans made me do it.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2010, 06:14 PM

How peculiar!!! Come to the dark side we have cookies
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2010, 06:15 PM

bobmielke
Portland, OR

02-11-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
How peculiar!!! Come to the dark side we have cookies
Every time I give blood the lil ol ladies offer me cookies & OJ. I'm a diabetic.
Cassie
West Wales

02-11-2010, 06:38 PM

Sugar free
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2011, 02:06 PM

Just noticed this thread. You don't get much heated debate here in Australia, as it is considered bad form to argue about politics. It would also be bad form to argue about religion, except hardly anyone here gives that sort of stuff much thought.

I worked at a firm where the boss/owner was a German Jew, and me being a bolshie Yorkshirewoman we were able to have lots of fun 'debates'.

Sometimes it was about politics, sometimes about accounting decisions. One argument was about whether Jewish guilt imposed by mothers was worse than Catholic guilt, or the other way round! We were both fine with having an intense, loud discussion as hard accounting decisions had to be made, and the last thing he needed was someone who automatically agreed with him.

BUT - the other staff used to be horrified, and could not understand how I kept my job.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2011, 04:11 PM

Still, at least you know you`ll get the people who got voted for. Unlike the UK where we seem to have been saddled with a very odd solution.
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2011, 10:54 PM

Yes, here it would have been a case of LibDem voters giving preferences to, say, Labour, and Labour getting their votes if neither Labour nor Tories got over 50%. I suspect Labour might have got in with our system, but I have no way of knowing. I do know they were hated at the end, in many quarters.

We have another advantage here - voting is compulsory. Of course, you can turn up and put in a blank ballot sheet, which some do. This system makes it easy to vote, because being compulsory, they have to make it easy, so there are lots of booths, plus an easy-to-use postal vote system.

Before the polls open, party volunteers from all parties witness the boxes being set up and see that they are empty. At the counting in the polling booth, party volunteers see the boxes being opened, and stand around the counting table scrutineering the count, then they ring in the figures to their various party offices. The officials ring in the count to the electoral office. There is no way anyone can fiddle these figures, because they are in the public domain before the ballots are moved anywhere.

The electoral commission changes boundaries when necessary, to ensure an even number of voters in each electorate.

Oh, one other thing. At the polling booths there are party members greeting voters and giving them 'how to vote' cards. It is absolutely bad form to argue politics with your opposition workers - in fact they all get on fine, sharing sandwiches, telling jokes and having a laugh. The only party workers who broke these unwritten rules were ones from fringe, far right racist parties, such as your BNP. Ours was called Pauline Hansons One Nation Party - and they were truly awful!!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top