Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2010, 10:45 AM

Re: Yey! Spelling and Grammar are going to be taught again.

I still recite the 'times table' in my head to reach an answer. Wouldn't that be lovely to pass a classroom one day and overhear the children chanting out their tables.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2010, 01:15 PM

A Step in the right direction but then they are only losing 5% of their marks in the exams, think it should be more.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2010, 04:20 PM

Jenkins minor-how is your grammar?

Fine thank sir just a bit of arfritis
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by old git ->
jenkins minor-how is your grammar?

Fine thank sir just a bit of arfritis
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Thank goodness for that! Some months ago my seven year old grandaughter learnt about the fire of London in school and asked me what it was like!
She should have asked me, I could have told her (Well it feels like it sometimes)
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
I still recite the 'times table' in my head to reach an answer. Wouldn't that be lovely to pass a classroom one day and overhear the children chanting out their tables.
What am I talking about here? Since when did the times tables have anything to do with spelling, grammar or history?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2010, 05:43 PM

Fits in in a way, a comment on the general state of education these days! Nothing wrong with rote IMO!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2010, 12:39 PM

I think the whole education system needs a thorough overhaul. My daughter is at University at the moment, and often asks me to check her essays for grammatical/spelling mistakes before she submits them. Her spelling and grammar are not too bad, but what strikes me every time is that her degree-level essays are nowhere near the standard of an "A" Level essay 45 years ago (when I did my "A" Levels).

I spent the last decade of my working life as a Training and Development Officer, and part of my brief was to mentor unqualified staff through their university courses. I was always appalled at the standard of spelling and grammar I found, but much more so by the fact that their education up until that point had not equipped them to carry out basic critical analysis. They were totally unable to gather and sift evidence, evaluate ideas/theories on the basis of that evidence and form a conclusion.
It seems to me that critical analysis is (or should be) the very basis of education.
Without it, all we are doing is regurgitating the "facts" presented by the curriculum - that is schooling, not education!

Mick
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2010, 01:35 PM

i can remember going into my son`s school 25 years ago and seeing the teacher`s writing on the board with spelling mistakes in. It`s been happening for longer than you think.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I think the whole education system needs a thorough overhaul. My daughter is at University at the moment, and often asks me to check her essays for grammatical/spelling mistakes before she submits them. Her spelling and grammar are not too bad, but what strikes me every time is that her degree-level essays are nowhere near the standard of an "A" Level essay 45 years ago (when I did my "A" Levels).

I spent the last decade of my working life as a Training and Development Officer, and part of my brief was to mentor unqualified staff through their university courses. I was always appalled at the standard of spelling and grammar I found, but much more so by the fact that their education up until that point had not equipped them to carry out basic critical analysis. They were totally unable to gather and sift evidence, evaluate ideas/theories on the basis of that evidence and form a conclusion.
It seems to me that critical analysis is (or should be) the very basis of education.
Without it, all we are doing is regurgitating the "facts" presented by the curriculum - that is schooling, not education!

Mick
Good post mick - agree completely

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top