Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Selling the Family Silver? Or Prudent Move?

The UK Govt. are planning to sell many of those Forests and Woodlands currently owned by the nation and managed by the Forestry Commission.
Britain is the least wooded country in Europe.
At present we and our dogs have full access to Forestry Commission land and the FC are very good in making the forests accessible.
A recent poll showed 75% of those who voted against it.
Why?
Well where I live open spaces are being turned into car parks and housing estates at a tremendous rate. If I want to walk in open country I have to take the train.
The pressure on land in the UK is at an all-time high.
The forests are our lungs and our heritage.
Or doesn`t it matter?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Re: Selling the Family Silver? Or Prudent Move?

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Well where I live open spaces are being turned into car parks and housing estates at a tremendous rate.
I Live in Essex

Could be more exact on where this is happening.

For the last few years my self and others have being fighting the old Gov(Prescott) on turning brown belt land into a Mega estate.

If this new Gov sells these lands with the previso that no building can take place then that is a gaint step forward.
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 11:39 AM

I think it would be a great shame and something we shall live to regret.
The Forestry Commission have done a pretty good job since they were set up and it would be a huge waste of time and effort if it crumbled to nought.

In my part of the world there is quite a lot of FC woodland and it would be a awful to see this vanish into private ownership and access probably denied. The effect on tourism - an extensive area of income for businesses here would be badly hit I fear.

I would vote against.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 11:45 AM

I too woud vote against sale of public owned lands Claire. We are very lucky to have a lot of open space and protected areas around us, much of it National Trust - but not all of it is Goverment owned, although much of it is accessible.

Is it thought necessary to sell land because the Government feel that we, as a Nation, can no longer afford to maintain our open spaces out of the public purse? Unfortunately, everything has to be paid for by some way - even our open space and freedom to roam.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Don`t you think it`s a bit pathetic that a bit of woodland is all that we have left for sale? Having to sell assets is a sure sign of failed management, and all recent governments are guilty of this. I am against all and any sale of national assets. They are not the government`s to sell, they are ours!
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
... I am against all and any sale of national assets. They are not the government`s to sell, they are ours!
Good point!

Southend Council sold a piece of land where I live that was used as a recreational area for decades. It was previously a pig farm and left by the owner to the people of Southend, `for their pleasure and benefit`. It was a lovely place to picnic, walk, play...
It is now a housing estate. The Council fenced it off for 3 years then said it wasn`t used and sold it. When protests were made they said the proceeds from the sale would benefit the people of Southend.
Shoebury East Beach - previously a green space, is now one third car park and one third barbeque area. This didn`t go through any planning process as it was classed as `improvement`. I could go on.
We are losing our green spaces.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 03:02 PM

I live in the Pacific Northwest in the United States. We have more trees than any state in the country. Years ago the logging indistry started to "clear cut" huge areas of Oregon for profit, leaving the land barren and vulnerable to erosion and waste. Wildlife habitats were not even a consideration. Then conservationalists got involved and got legislation passed to require logging companies to plant one tree for every one they cut down. It was landmark legislation that is saving our environment and way of life. I can see no more important issue for future generations than preserving our planet. (Tree Hugger here)
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I Live in Essex

Could be more exact on where this is happening.

For the last few years my self and others have being fighting the old Gov(Prescott) on turning brown belt land into a Mega estate.

If this new Gov sells these lands with the previso that no building can take place then that is a gaint step forward.
I think it is the Green Belt which must be protected Galty and Green Belt land is continually being encroached upon. Brown Belt land should always be used before Green surely.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 03:12 PM

As the last goverments have nearly sold off everything British then it comes as no surprise to see more of our heritage going for auction.

We were always told, 'never sell your assets, they are your secure future'.

I do not thnk governments think about the country's heritage they just see Money and brownie points in front of their eyes.

I am lucky that where I live it will be one of the last places to be made into a car park although many have been built with the increase in tourism.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
I can see no more important issue for future generations than preserving our planet. (Tree Hugger here)
I`m with you all the way on that Bob. I`m privilidged to be living adjacent to a beautiful national forest myself, which is now almost depleted apart from a few square miles, but tree planting and woodland sustainability is now right at the top of the agenda. There is no quick fix but at last we are heading in the right direction.

Tree Huggers Unite!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top