Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 10:51 AM

What Do You Think About Tourism?

After reading Antibrown's Good Morning message today I thought I might start a thread about tourists. Depending on where you live please tell us about tourists in your area.

I suppose I've always lived in areas where tourism played a big part in the local economy. Having been born in the Midwest, near St. Louis, Missouri I grew up seeing visitors from all over the world. The Arch in St. Louis was just one of many attractions that drew thousands of vacation visitors to that city. The local government built up the industry by creating Laclead's Landing & Gaslight Square right on the waterfront next to that Arch. St. Louis is famous for fine dining and attractions of all kind such as jazz music.

While living in South Carolina, I had an apartment just across the river from Augusta, Georgia, the home of the famous Masters golf tournament each April. Augusta National Golf Course draws many thousands of golf enthusiasts that spend really big money in the area. Since they travel there for the 4-5 day event visitors all need places to stay, transportation and tons of food & souvenirs. The Augusta economy is geared to meeting their every demand, making the bulk of their annual income off that one week.

Now I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. The economy here is based on selling that beauty. Nature lovers abound here, with bicyclists & runners everywhere. The local officials have catered to the health industry, building hiking trails and bicycle lanes on all the city roads. Major running events are held each year. Oregon doesn't have enough of a manufacturing industry to provide sufficient jobs for the masses. Oregon's population that is clustered around Portland and a few other urban cities, which accounts for the high unemployment rate. We sell nature here and it benefits every inhabitant of the state. It means clean air & water are a priority. Pristine highways and beaches are a necessity to attract travelers from all over the world. Downtown Portland itself is wonderfully diverse with many cultures represented. The population in the area is a huge mixing bowl of peoples from all over the world. It took me a while to get used to being in a grocery store and hearing a dozen different languages spoken by customers at any given time.

Although the traffic jams going to the beach can be a pain I remind myself that the tourists are a necessary evil. They allow Oregonians like myself to enjoy that deep breath of clean air and views of our beautiful country that no longer exist in many parts of the United States.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 04:47 PM

Re: What Do You Think About Tourism?

Tourists are a necessary part of Cumbria's income but I do not care for them.

When you live in an area of outstanding beauty you do tend to find some secluded spots away from the tourist route and attractions.

We have some beautiful places where we love to go and relax undisturbed by the noise and distractions of the tourist trade.

I suppose though that we are all tourists in a way. Whenever we go and visit places we become the tourist and no doubt the people who live there probably think that we are a nuisance.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 07:07 PM

It's a fact that we all resent the tourist, then become one when we holiday. Like Antibrown and you Bob, we live in a beautiful area and see plenty of tourists in the summer, but being local we are privvy to the more out of the way areas which the tourist will never really find, so we can still enjoy the peace, spectacle and serenity of the area, which we love. How lucky are we really?
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

17-02-2011, 07:57 PM

I`m fortunate enough to live in one of the most beautiful Cities in the World - Edinburgh .

We are inundated with Tourists all year round but especially in the Summer for the Tattoo and Festival , also at Hogmanay /New Year ........... It adds to the flavour of the City and most residents are very tolerant and helpful towards these valuable visitors .

I love to meet and speak with peoples from other Countries and Cultures and get their take on things
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 08:02 PM

I`m in Southend so we get day trippers. It depends on the weather how many. We also get a lot of coach parties from East London schools.
I just avoid the places they go to on holdays times.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Topaz ->
I`m fortunate enough to live in one of the most beautiful Cities in the World - Edinburgh .
I've never been Topaz, but I must make the effort one of these years. Trouble is I'm a country boy and avoid cities, or even big towns, like the plague. Having said that, now that you've recommended it personally I will come and take a look sometime soon.

Now, how do I get there, do I turn left or do I turn right at Glasgow?
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I've never been Topaz, but I must make the effort one of these years. Trouble is I'm a country boy and avoid cities, or even big towns, like the plague. Having said that, now that you've recommended it personally I will come and take a look sometime soon.

Now, how do I get there, do I turn left or do I turn right at Glasgow?
M1, A1(M), A1 for you Barry.

Go at Hogmany that is the best time, otherwise avoid it like the plague if you dont like towns there are always to many people rushing everywhere and getting nowhere.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 09:17 PM

I have always lived in Dublin City and the place is always crowded with Tourists. We here are very used to visitors and enjoy the different accents and their points of view, not to mention the income to our Country. The more the merrier I say.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2011, 11:18 AM

Tourists bring good income to a city or town which is important. As long as you avoid week-ends and Bank holidays its not too bad round here. There are still many beautiful places in the countryside which are not on the tourist route. Many people visiting don't like getting out of their cars, which makes the roads congested sometimes. They drive out somewhere popular, park up and stay nearby for a picnic or just to look. Strange - if only they would use their legs a bit more.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
I thought I might start a thread about tourists. Depending on where you live please tell us about tourists in your area.
Bob, my wife bought a property in a remote rural area of eastern Europe, the only tourists we see are on one bus which I think comes from Germany and goes down our road in mid August

But Vienna, Dresden and Prague are each about 60 to 70 miles away and there are loads of tourists visiting there. Prague has been transformed by visitors since the iron curtain was lifted 'tho some would say not always for the better. I have to say that seeing MacDonalds and other fast food places appear alongside some of the most beautiful architecture in the world is not what I would like, but the city is making a lot of money out of visitors and they all seem to want this type of food.

It doesn't effect me 'cos I would be happy if I never had to visit a large city ever again in my lifetime, I avoid London like the plague now, very few safe and clean areas, even Parliament Square has been ruined by squatters littering the place with debris and rubbish everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top