Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2011, 12:40 PM

Re: Prisoners lose right to vote.

Let's hope this is the start of a new era, when we once again can decide what happens in this country and not some unelected, unaccountable jobsworth in Europe.

Ermmmmm excuse me Plantman, but who was the idiot that took us into Europe in the first place and denied us a referendum beforehand???
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Joan ->
I don't think we should get carried away here. It is certainly sensible that prisoners don't get to vote, and luxuries in jail are just not on. But most prisoners (not all) are still human beings and will get released back into society when they've done their time. A bit of rehabilitation and a few family visits seem to me to be the right thing. In any case, there's the prison staff to think about. They need to live somewhere decent.
That's easily solved 3 weeks on 3 weeks off, just like tens of thousands of oil workers do.

On Dogsey I was debating with a member who visited a prisoner, she said no way could she go up to Scotland, the guy she visited was in jail for conspricy to murder, as she pointed out no one had been murdered or harmed in any way, the intended victim never even knew he was being discussed. Also the prisoner had an appeal in process.

So, OK in cases like that, he would not be on my list for departation to a Scottish island.

But, I say again, for serious criminals, those who have exhausted all their pathetic attemps to use the appeal system to get out, murderers and such like, they should not be treated as humans.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Ermmmmm excuse me Plantman, but who was the idiot that took us into Europe in the first place and denied us a referendum beforehand???
I agree with you Joe, but as far as I can remember it was Blair and his cronies that railroaded us into the ECHR and enshrined it into English law, and where was the referendum that they promised us? Politicians are all as bad. Europe is their future, it's the best gravy train in town....
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
but as far as I can remember it was Blair and his cronies that railroaded us into the ECHR and enshrined it into English law,
So far as I remember it all went through very quickly, it seems to me that no one read all the documents properly, if they had, and if we had said 'No we're not accepting this' then it could have been taken out.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

22-02-2011, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
build some prisons on all those unihabited little islands off the coast of Scotland,

Get tae buggery !

Why dump em all on us ?

Most of em are yours so you keep em
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I agree with you Joe, but as far as I can remember it was Blair and his cronies that railroaded us into the ECHR and enshrined it into English law, and where was the referendum that they promised us? Politicians are all as bad. Europe is their future, it's the best gravy train in town....
Plantman, once again you're in error. We ALWAYS were signed up to the European Court of Human Rights. All that the Labour Government did was to enshrine those rights we already had into UK domestic legislation so that nationals didn't have to take their case to the European court, but could apply directly to our own courts here in the UK - a much more sensible, and less costly (for the Government too) and far more speedily than awaiting up to 5 years for a judgment to come from the European Court.

As to referendum, "let those without sin caste the first stone" - the Tories are far from being without sin in that respect. In fact it was Harold Wilson's Labour Government that both promised and then held the referendum AFTER Ted Heath had already taken us in.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2011, 07:55 PM

Plantman, once again you're in error.
Sorry Joe, but Im never wrong, just ask my wife, she's never wrong either.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

24-02-2011, 02:58 PM

All that the Labour Government did was to enshrine those rights we already had into UK domestic legislation
I don't get it Joe, since we are discussing prisoners right to vote, are you saying they (The prisoners) already had the right to vote

My understanding is that no prisoners in UK had the right to vote since some act of parliament dated 18 something

So either that is wrong OR someone in the labour Gvernment did NOT read all the relevant words relating to rights and just bundled them up into a piece UK domestic legislation to do with human rights, in other words some legal guy just decided to put his own opinions into a piece of legislation the like of which almost no one in UK agrees with

Perhaps you could enlighten me if you have a more detailed knowledge on how we got into this mess because you seem to be saying that the need to give prisoners the vote is not comming from Brussels, it was here in the Uk all the time, I'm confused
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

24-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Losos my friend, my comments in respect of ECHR was said in response to comments made to me by PLANTMAN and has no bearing whatsoever on whether Prisoners should or should not have the right to vote. Scroll back to my previous comment in which I have also quoted the paragraph from PLANTMAN's observations and you will then see the point I am making.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

24-02-2011, 05:32 PM

Losos my friend, my comments in respect of ECHR was said in response to comments made to me by PLANTMAN and has no bearing whatsoever on whether Prisoners should or should not have the right to vote. Scroll back to my previous comment in which I have also quoted the paragraph from PLANTMAN's observations and you will then see the point I am making.
Ah OK Joe, got the wrong end of the stick Sorry life is too short to go back and look at every word, comma, and detail, think I get the point you are making but it's not that important (to me anyway ) the point about prisoners not being able to vote was the topic here

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top