Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2011, 09:22 AM

Council Cut Backs

Am I the only one who is fed up to the back teeth with Sally Taylor (BBC South Today) shouting out every damm night that some council or other is cutting this or that and more people fear for their jobs.

Why do we have to have this BAD NEWS every night.

We all KNOW that councils are cutting back. We dont need it drip feeding to us. If local people want to know exact details they can go on line and find out.

All this doom mongering is getting me down so much i dont watch that dreadful woman anymore!

and yes - I did know she had recovered from cancer!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2011, 09:32 AM

Re: Council Cut Backs

I'm with you on this one Elbee, we recently stopped watching BBC and went to Sky news instead. The bias of the BBC is so blatant. Every government or council cut, as you say, is shouted from the rooftops and an endless stream of left wingers are then wheeled on to decry it.

I don't seem to remember it happening when Labour were in power.

The BBC is an absolute disgrace.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2011, 02:29 PM

It is funny how people are jumping onto the wagon due to government cut backs and shouting that jobs are at risk.

The government is only cutting back on the money that they give to local councils, it is the councils themselves that are cutting jobs so that the hierarchy can still have their little perks and bonuses.

I went into a council offices when I was working and one job was to test all the computers for safety.
There was a small room, about 10foot by 10 foot stacked with quite good usable computers. The council had just bought 100 new computers so that the offices 'Look ' up to date and efficient. Talk about waste in councils.
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2011, 12:22 PM

That Sally Shouting Taylor was at it again yesterday. Cuts in Brighton this time!

I only saw the headlines and swicthed it OFF

All these cuts and Council Tax will go up 7% next year at least you'll see!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I'm with you on this one Elbee, we recently stopped watching BBC and went to Sky news instead. The bias of the BBC is so blatant. Every government or council cut, as you say, is shouted from the rooftops and an endless stream of left wingers are then wheeled on to decry it.

I don't seem to remember it happening when Labour were in power.

The BBC is an absolute disgrace.
The BBC has changed so much in the last 30 or so years. In the sixties & seventies I often found myself in unknown countries run by dictators and communists, at that time the BBC World Service was respected and listened to by milions of people who wanted an unbiased view of what was happening in the world.

But have you ever listened to the World Service now ? It's an absolute disgrace and comprises pop music and left wing propoganda - How the hell it changed so much in those fourty odd years I'll never know.
GOG
Northumberland UK
GOG is male  GOG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 11:40 AM

To have expected Councils to do anything other than protect their high salaried bureaucracies, in house contracting and service departments to the detriment of libraries, pothole repair and other maintenance, home help etc. has been rather naive.
I am neither right nor left in my politics and I regard governments of all colours with equal cynicism but I do wish the coalition success as I believe that coalitions may be more effective in the long term.
However I think this Coalition government have handled this very badly. It should have been made clear to Councils in which areas cuts were required and which should have been left alone and appropriate enforcement applied.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 04:50 PM

Our Council is cutting Teaching Assistants.
But we`re still getting palm trees along the seafront.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Says it all does'nt it Claireandaisy!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by GOG ->
It should have been made clear to Councils in which areas cuts were required and which should have been left alone and appropriate enforcement applied.
It's so obvious, why can't the MP's see it

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Palm trees along the sea front..........ridiculous

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Says it all doesn't it Claireandaisy!
You beat me to it AB
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Councils don't see things the way we (the common herd) do. If it makes sense then they back away in a hurry. Common Sense is avoided at all costs lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top