Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
GOG
Northumberland UK
GOG is male  GOG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2011, 11:47 AM

Re: Council Cut Backs

White Raven, I have long believed that those who inhabit the Westmister "Bubble", both the politicians and the commentariat, really have little idea of the realities of life for ordinairy people on the outside.

I am afraid it would appear that the same is now becoming true of some Councils. One would perhaps expect this of higher management and it's associated bureaucracy but it now seems many councillors, especially in the larger local authorities are becoming blinded by their power in the same way as MPs.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Our Council is cutting Teaching Assistants.
But we`re still getting palm trees along the seafront.

To be fair.

The development of the sea front was passed in 2007 and the money(millions) found then.

The Palm trees where planted in 2009, if any more are planed then stopping them will result in little or no savings in the development
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
To be fair.

The development of the sea front was passed in 2007 and the money(millions) found then.

The Palm trees where planted in 2009, if any more are planed then stopping them will result in little or no savings in the development
galty - hmmmmmm was it really millions? whatever happened to 'saving for a rainy day' back in 2007 everyone was spending like there's no tommorrow, people, councils, government, companies even.

Now even those of us who were 'saving for a rainy day' are suffering along with the recklass and irresponsible in society.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
galty - hmmmmmm was it really millions? whatever happened to 'saving for a rainy day' back in 2007 everyone was spending like there's no tommorrow, people, councils, government, companies even.

Now even those of us who were 'saving for a rainy day' are suffering along with the recklass and irresponsible in society.
From memory the development of the seafront was about £10 million paid for by the council also a lot of private money has been invested.

Southend depends a lot on Tourists to bring in money and are investing in the town.

You can go across the river and look at Margate which has been allowed to go down hill no money spent in the last 20 years and ended up where no one goes.
Rum
New Member!
Cumbria
Rum is male 

12-03-2011, 11:03 PM

Well I am one of the council workers affected as it happens. I have worked as a social worker, then an education officer and for the last bit of my career as a manager. I am sure some of what we did was wasteful and efficient, but most of it was actually required by central government to fit in with legislation.

Now in my authority the cuts mean that of 35 managers at senior level there will be 9 left. My own estimation is that we could do what we used to do with perhaps 25.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2011, 11:10 PM

Same down here in Dorset, first casualties were the library managers, reduced to 9 down from 25. Some had 30 odd years service and were in tears. Many more reduncies since then and in the pipeline. I worked in the union office for 10 years supporting Local Goverment workers until two years ago, thank goodness I'm not in there now!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top