Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 11:06 PM

Re: Real Player installs Norton Security

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I know nothing about Microsoft or Windows machines as I use Apple Macs. How you all tolerate what I read happens a lot of the time with Microsoft I just don't know. If it was me the computer would have gone out of the window by now!
https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/2/12...e-malwarebytes
Think your Apple product is safe from malware? That only people using Windows machines have to take precautions? According to cybersecurity software company Malwarebytes’ latest State of Malware report, it’s time to think again. The amount of malware on Macs is outpacing PCs for the first time ever, and your complacency could be your worst enemy.

“People need to understand that they’re not safe just because they’re using a Mac,” Thomas Reed, Malwarebytes’ director of Mac and mobile and contributor to the report, told Recode.
Windows machines still dominate the market share and tend to have more security vulnerabilities, which has for years made them the bigger and easier target for hackers. But as Apple’s computers have grown in popularity, hackers appear to be focusing more of their attention on the versions of macOS that power them. Malwarebytes said there was a 400 percent increase in threats on Mac devices from 2018 to 2019, and found an average of 11 threats per Mac devices, which about twice the 5.8 average on Windows.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I downloaded and installed Real Player this afternoon, as I needed to view an mp4 video. I was unaware, incidentally, that Windows 10 cannot play mp4 videos.
I can't advise on your "pf" problem but I have Windows 10 and I use VLC media player:

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
  • Plays everything - Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams.
  • Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed - MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3...
  • Runs on all platforms - Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, iOS, Android ...
  • Completely Free - no spyware, no ads and no user tracking.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I know nothing about Microsoft or Windows machines as I use Apple Macs. However, a search revealed what that kind of file is, hope this is of some use, see link below:

https://www.reviversoft.com/file-extensions/pf

How you all tolerate what I read happens a lot of the time with Microsoft I just don't know. If it was me the computer would have gone out of the window by now!
To be fair, I seem to cope reasonably well with Windows 10.

As for this pf file, although I can't remove it, it doesn't seem to be doing anything.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I can't advise on your "pf" problem but I have Windows 10 and I use VLC media player:

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Yes, I find that I can play mp4 videos using the Microsoft application mentioned earlier, now I've downloaded it.

Actually, I now see that I already have other mp4 videos which I have watched on Windows 10 before installing this recent application, so I don't know why the new file was problematic.
Still, working now.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

14-06-2020, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
To be fair, I seem to cope reasonably well with Windows 10.

As for this pf file, although I can't remove it, it doesn't seem to be doing anything.
I checked with PrivaZer, which I run daily and I note that one function is:

6- Smart cleanup of Prefetch
Removing of invalid Prefetch entries. Old valid entries are preserved.
So, if you've got PrivaZer, run it, if you haven't, download it and run it:

https://privazer.com/en/

Free PC cleaner & Privacy tool that cleans unwanted traces.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-06-2020, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I checked with PrivaZer, which I run daily and I note that one function is:

So, if you've got PrivaZer, run it, if you haven't, download it and run it:

https://privazer.com/en/

Thank you.

I might have a look at that. Certainly if I have any further problems with the file.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 08:16 AM

JBR

I might be wrong but a PF file just has writing on it and makes no difference to your Comp.

Just downloaded Priva Zar took a long time but did not lose any sites or passwords.

One point the first Virus and Hack happened on an Apple Comp back in the 90s

PS would not touch Norton with a barge pole
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 10:11 AM

About PF files: These are in the Prefetch folder to help programs open more quickly. No harm is done by leaving them there, it's just annoying that after uninstalling a program, files and Registry entries might still be left behind. If the computer uses an SSD, the prefetch function can optionally be disabled (a Registry job).

I use PrivaZer. It keeps the system clean and may well clear out any leftover files and Registry entries after uninstalling a program. I have also used a program called 'RegScanner'. This seeks out any name typed into the search box and lists all the entries is finds. From there, they can be deleted all in one go, which can save a heck of a lot of time.

There are many who say never clean or mess with the Registry because it can potentially do more harm than good. This may true and we all take our chances ..but I think cleaners are better these days at determining what are needed or unneeded Registry keys. The danger is that if the cleaner gets it wrong and automatically removes needed key, or if a needed key is manually removed, then the system or an installed program might suffer.

If work in the Registry does cause trouble, there is always System Restore. Look into how to back-up and restore the Registry manually as well. Keep a full disk image backup, read how to restore from it and be ready to use backups if necessary.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-06-2020, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
JBR

I might be wrong but a PF file just has writing on it and makes no difference to your Comp.

Just downloaded Priva Zar took a long time but did not lose any sites or passwords.

One point the first Virus and Hack happened on an Apple Comp back in the 90s

PS would not touch Norton with a barge pole
You and me both.
I don't think anyone would touch Norton... without PPE.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-06-2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
There are many who say never clean or mess with the Registry because it can potentially do more harm than good.

If work in the Registry does cause trouble, there is always System Restore. Look into how to back-up and restore the Registry manually as well. Keep a full disk image backup, read how to restore from it and be ready to use backups if necessary.
I agree. I avoid the registry like the plague.

However, I do have a full image backup on two external hard drives (twice) and a restore CD.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top