Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 03:31 PM

Re: BoJo picks a fight with Russia.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I read yesterday that the Russians DID fire warning shots at Defender. Apparently there was a BBC reporter on board but bizarrely, it didn't make the TV news.
It did, it was well covered on BBC News 24.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
It did, it was well covered on BBC News 24.
Ah, OK, I only watched the news on BBC1.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 06:11 PM

I do.t think anything will come of this. It will soon be forgotten.
Just sabre rattling.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

What on earth is he thinking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57583363

No other country has done this and thing about Putin is that if you prod him, he will prod back.
You are Neville Chamberlain and I claim my 5 roubles
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I do.t think anything will come of this. It will soon be forgotten.
Just sabre rattling.
Exactly so, and all because Russia is a bit pi$$ed-orf that they aren't getting things all their own way.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 06:59 PM

Russia a superpower has always considered the Black Sea its own personal pond and to see the Navy of a small North Sea island bimbling through without even a by your leave must be galling and it doesn’t do their street cred any good amongst their supporters.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Crimea has not been annexed by Russia. It IS russian. This whole American driven thing is about preventing Russia from having year long ice free access to global waters.
I'm sorry but to be blunt, that is utter rubbish.

If you're going to attempt historical carp then the Crimea is far more accurately described as being Turkish or even Greek than Russian, and it's officially been Ukranian since the 50's and not Russian.

FYI Russia already had "year long ice free access to global waters" via the Crimea in a deal signed in 1997 between Russia & Ukraine which was extended in 2010 in the Karkiv Pact, and despite the Ukranian revolution of 2014 there was no mention of that deal being revoked.
None whatsoever.
The whole annexation then was Russian opportunism pure and simple at a time when Western governments were ripe for having their weaknesses exploited to the full.

Putin might well have obliged but times they are a-changing.
Despite his attempts to retain control, I would say that it's becoming increasingly obvious that Putin is becoming ever-more afraid of an uncertain future in a Russia in which he knows there is a distinct lack of successors with which to preserve the Russia he has administered.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I'm sorry but to be blunt, that is utter rubbish.

If you're going to attempt historical carp then the Crimea is far more accurately described as being Turkish or even Greek than Russian, and it's officially been Ukranian since the 50's and not Russian.

FYI Russia already had "year long ice free access to global waters" via the Crimea in a deal signed in 1997 between Russia & Ukraine which was extended in 2010 in the Karkiv Pact, and despite the Ukranian revolution of 2014 there was no mention of that deal being revoked.
None whatsoever.
The whole annexation then was Russian opportunism pure and simple at a time when Western governments were ripe for having their weaknesses exploited to the full.

Putin might well have obliged but times they are a-changing.
Despite his attempts to retain control, I would say that it's becoming increasingly obvious that Putin is becoming ever-more afraid of an uncertain future in a Russia in which he knows there is a distinct lack of successors with which to preserve the Russia he has administered.

Not so. Crimea has been Russian for many many decades and will remain so.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

25-06-2021, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Not so. Crimea has been Russian for many many decades and will remain so.
Decades?

It's been Turkish and/or Greek for centuries.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Decades?

It's been Turkish and/or Greek for centuries.
Whatever.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top