Join for free
Page 9 of 20 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 05:44 PM

Re: Utter Humiliation for Theresa May!

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's totally unreasonable for him to have resigned after causing such chaos. He should have been made accountable and forced to follow through this thoughtless miscalculation. It was made purely in self interest to shore up his own political position.
As I recall, there was a huge calling for him to hold the referendum, hence the rise in popularity for UKIP. If the public mood hadn't been so seemingly strong, then he wouldn't have done so. Seems to me that had he not have held the referendum then UKIP may well have grown in strength and have pretty much forced it anyway.

What would you have done in his position?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 05:49 PM

The way politics works is that decisions are never set in stone and movements will influence change over time. Otherwise we would have the same government in power forever. The EU referendum is no different.

We do have the same government in power, only the colour changes but still all in it for themselves and what they can screw out of the people one way or the other whether it be fiddled expenses, tax evasion, and living the high-life with all the incumbent benefits. Only once every four or five years do the electorate get a vote (don't make me laugh) to be governed by those who give out the biggest bribes, offering to change society for the better.

Funny how either of the main parties accept the results of the election if it goes against them without demanding a new vote immediately after (unlike the referendum) or claim that they actually won because their defeat wasn't as big as predicted. To them, it doesn't matter either way because they'll still be reaping the benefits of being MPs.

If voting changed anything they'd make it illegal.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voting.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	7330  
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 05:54 PM

Brilliant thinking there, you would obviously prefer anarchy.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Brilliant thinking there, you would obviously prefer anarchy.
Now, do you mean organised anarchy or anarchic anarchy?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
As I recall, there was a huge calling for him to hold the referendum, hence the rise in popularity for UKIP. If the public mood hadn't been so seemingly strong, then he wouldn't have done so. Seems to me that had he not have held the referendum then UKIP may well have grown in strength and have pretty much forced it anyway.

What would you have done in his position?

I would not have held a referendum without having a plan B for leaving. But if you make a decision like that then you should be able to back it up and not run away and hide.

If he wasn't strong enough to lead the government without giving in to extremists in his own party then he should have stepped down as leader rather than being elected for the second time on a condition. He only won anyway because the opposition was incredibly weak (don't even start me on that one).
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
We do have the same government in power, only the colour changes but still all in it for themselves and what they can screw out of the people one way or the other whether it be fiddled expenses, tax evasion, and living the high-life with all the incumbent benefits. Only once every four or five years do the electorate get a vote (don't make me laugh) to be governed by those who give out the biggest bribes, offering to change society for the better.

Funny how either of the main parties accept the results of the election if it goes against them without demanding a new vote immediately after (unlike the referendum) or claim that they actually won because their defeat wasn't as big as predicted. To them, it doesn't matter either way because they'll still be reaping the benefits of being MPs.

If voting changed anything they'd make it illegal.

Fair enough but none of that will change after Brexit. Perhaps it's because instead of a President we have a Head of State who has no power.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:13 PM

Fair enough but none of that will change after Brexit. Perhaps it's because instead of a President we have a Head of State who has no power.
Not to mention an electorate with tiny brains.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Oh, you do vote then?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Oh dear Purwell, you are so obvious. When debate is lost, slander and insults are the last tools of a loser!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
What I am saying is that the public, who would not accept the democratic vote to leave, have behaved like children because they didn't get what they wanted.
I could say the same about leave voters.
I don't understand this, Annie.

The remoaners are acting like children because they lost the vote.

So you are saying that the leavers are doing the same.
Why? Because they won the vote?

I think the root suggestion of this discussion is that once a majority voted to leave the EU, everyone should have accepted a democratic decision and let the government get on with honouring it.

No. Instead, the remoaners have done nothing but whinge about the decision and have done everything they can to try to persuade the government and the people that the decision was wrong and that it should be reversed.

In my opinion, that is not only anti-democratic but also childish!

Page 9 of 20 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top