Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 10:54 AM

phone scams (long explaination)

Just had a scam call from 01586 668375
Indian male trying to get access to your router claiming to be from BT . From there (not that I went that far) would be to have remote control to your computer. No doubt explaining how to do it.
The only reason for all this is to access any banking details and use that to get to your money.

This is a very common scam yet people still fall for it.

Best advice is if you don't recognise the phone number
beware especially phone numbers starting with 07.

This 07 is a divert number to another phone number usually to a high premium 09 number without you knowing. So firms use it to hide behind as well
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 11:13 AM

Re: phone scams (long explaination)

Ah yes, I have had all that nonsense. We usually run them round in circles now. The voice-activated ones are now the latest. You say hello and the bot takes over. I have call barring on my phone.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 11:18 AM

My brother usually a very astute man almost fell for it with a call from Microsoft and almost lost money . He actually allowed access to this person into his computer and watched as a curser worked it's way around his files , then a thought hit him , it's a scam , and he unplugged the computer , immediately rang his bank and stopped all money being moved .

At the time he was actually on his computer when the phone rang and they said "we see you are on your computer and having problems '

He was lucky
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 11:19 AM

I never answer a call with a number I don't recognise.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 11:20 AM

The one we get here in Spain is a person saying they are from Microsoft and that there is a problem with the computer

I just tell them I don't have a computer they hang up
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 11:26 AM

A good way to foil them is to ask who it is they are calling. I asked but he couldn't answer so I gave him every swear word I know.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 11:33 AM

Yes, I've had that one too!. As soon as he started his spiel I stopped being lady-like and gave it to him straight.
I told him to "go to hell!" and hung up.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
A good way to foil them is to ask who it is they are calling. I asked but he couldn't answer so I gave him every swear word I know.
Not many words then Londogs
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Not many words then Londogs
Some new ones too.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 12:11 PM

Most days I get around 4 calls and yes they do piss you off especially when they don't even speak because they phone at least 3 or 4 numbers at a time and talk to the first that answers and put the phone down on the others.
I actually have started sending a text to the 07 numbers the landline ones I will not phone because the numbers are unrecognisable (I have tried) so the switchboard keeps telling me although they allow the twats to phone me.?
The numbers I text last night and so far my phone as stayed quiet today is
I simply said "That The Police Child Abuse Department have been given these numbers and they will be checking those numbers out with people on their paedophile list, because my under age grandchildren are getting the call's."
All lies of course.
So far like I say things have gone quiet, I am happy if I am inconveniencing these gits for just a day.
That means they are getting a little taste of what I go through on a regular basis.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top