Join for free
Page 13 of 40 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 12:30 PM

Re: Flexible extension???

Originally Posted by itsme ->
No you didn't, you only thought you did. The only people who knew exactly what they where voting for where those who voted to remain.

Erm... no Itsme.

I knew exactly what I was voting for.

You voted to remain because of capitalist reasons - I get that, but that wasn't why I voted to leave.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
LD I will be throwing my radio out of the window if I hear one more time 'I didn't know what I was voting for and need another referendum because I know so much more now than I did when I voted ' it is so presumptuous and patronising.
Just another aspect of Project Fear. An attempt to persuade the easily-led that they were wrong to vote for Brexit.

Remoaners are desperate. They know they have lost, but refuse to admit it. Being, in a large part, Londoners, they labour under the misapprehension that they know better than all the hicks in the sticks.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Just another aspect of Project Fear. An attempt to persuade the easily-led that they were wrong to vote for Brexit..
Too much self-centered attitude, you see, brings, you see, isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger. The extreme self-centered attitude is the source of suffering. Dalai Lama

Take a few minutes to think about that.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Just another aspect of Project Fear.
There was / is no "Project Fear" - other than in the minds of whiney Brexiteers.

There are only the turkeys who voted for Brexit Christmas - and for whom, Brexit will only make things a whole that worse than years of failed "austerity".

I can understand why a lot of less well-off working-class people outside of the Metropolitan area cast their votes to kick against politicians who had been ignoring them for years. But Brexit was not the answer; far from it.

Most of the ERG lot are very, very wealthy people who will not feel the effects of a Brexit, especially a "no deal" one. And (cruel irony!) the working-class people who voted for Brexit and whom the headbangers patronise as "the 17.4 million", are exactly the sorts of people whom the Tory right-wingers wouldn't normally touch with a 10-foot pole. But they have been a useful battering-ram to achieve the 30-odd year dream of Cash, Redwood & co - i.e. getting out of the EU and its precursors.

Yet those same working-class people will be the ones hit hardest by any future downturn following Brexit - and then we will see how much sympathy & support they get from wealthy Tory backbenchers!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
There was / is no "Project Fear" - other than in the minds of whiney Brexiteers.

There are only the turkeys who voted for Brexit Christmas - and for whom, Brexit will only make things a whole that worse than years of failed "austerity".

I can understand why a lot of less well-off working-class people outside of the Metropolitan area cast their votes to kick against politicians who had been ignoring them for years. But Brexit was not the answer; far from it.

Most of the ERG lot are very, very wealthy people who will not feel the effects of a Brexit, especially a "no deal" one. And (cruel irony!) the working-class people who voted for Brexit and whom the headbangers patronise as "the 17.4 million", are exactly the sorts of people whom the Tory right-wingers wouldn't normally touch with a 10-foot pole. But they have been a useful battering-ram to achieve the 30-odd year dream of Cash, Redwood & co - i.e. getting out of the EU and its precursors.

Yet those same working-class people will be the ones hit hardest by any future downturn following Brexit - and then we will see how much sympathy & support they get from wealthy Tory backbenchers!

Labour's position on Brexit changes by the hour. Just listen to the snobs on the front bench using it to try and buy votes - and failing miserably.

I take it that your hero Tony Blair is your source of truth?
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->

I take it that your hero Tony Blair is your source of truth?
You "take it" wrong.

It is Corbyn who stands for traditional Labour values. Blair was "new labour" BS.

Remember what Margaret Thatcher spit! said when asked what her greatest achievement was? New Labour!

BUt Blair IS right on Brexit: a "hard" one would be catastrophic; a "soft" one pointless. Conclusion: cancel Brexit.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Referenduns are advisory... they all are not just this one. Perhaps we should ignore the one in 1975 then ?

Why do you want a second referendum if this is the case seeing as you know exactly what you are voting for ?
Again you demonstrate your lack of knowledge of the UK, it’s history and processes. I’m beginning to wonder whether you are what you purport to be.

Not all referendums are advisory.
The United Kingdom Alternative Vote referendum was in its bill made legally binding

Parliament could have made the Brexit referendum legally binding as well but they chose not to, instead maintaining our system of representative democracy

Unfortunately there is a deadlock in Parliament over TM’s deal and leaving without a deal I’d an option that only a minority supports so the alternatives seem to be narrowing towards a GE, Rescind Article 50 or a 2nd referendum which could be made legally binding and may be the most equitable way of resolving the impasse we find ourselves in.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am not an idiot.

I am no little Englander or a Xenophobe.

I am quite rational, I have a deep personal loathing of both Theresa May and Juncker.

A man in a suit, just one of many, never a Principle, just a backroom boy.

We have been sold down the river, I object to that.

I will continue to fight that, but I will not put my Pensions at risk.

That is the hold they have over me.

There is an Envelope on the mantelpiece.

When I die, watch out.
If we leave the EU and the economy suffers you may well find that the “will of the people” turns against subsidising public sector pensions to the tune of £39 billion a year and the gravy train for those with over inflated benefits will come to an end.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

15-04-2019, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
If we leave the EU and the economy suffers you may well find that the “will of the people” turns against subsidising public sector pensions to the tune of £39 billion a year and the gravy train for those with over inflated benefits will come to an end.
You've been listening to Treasury forecasts again ..
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

15-04-2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Again you demonstrate your lack of knowledge of the UK, it’s history and processes. I’m beginning to wonder whether you are what you purport to be.

Not all referendums are advisory.
The United Kingdom Alternative Vote referendum was in its bill made legally binding

Parliament could have made the Brexit referendum legally binding as well but they chose not to, instead maintaining our system of representative democracy

Unfortunately there is a deadlock in Parliament over TM’s deal and leaving without a deal I’d an option that only a minority supports so the alternatives seem to be narrowing towards a GE, Rescind Article 50 or a 2nd referendum which could be made legally binding and may be the most equitable way of resolving the impasse we find ourselves in.

How will making a referendum legally binding change the result ?

By the way all referendums are advisory. You even say so yourself otherwise we wouldn't need to make them legally binding. If I were you I would get your facts right before you start accusing people of being stupid.

Page 13 of 40 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top