Join for free
Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2015, 12:50 PM

Re: The Mount Kinabalu strippers

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
You're not right Pug
They 'deliberately' did this act with total disregard and lack of respect
Regardless of an earthquake, its the sheer manner they took and the behaviour was not only disrespectful but sickening.
I doubt many on here would have done the same ..........
Yes, Patsy, I said much the same. Their attitude disgusts me. Young or not, I have always tried to respect the culture of any country I have visited, and that is not so difficult. It is also, to me, part of the whole travelling experience.

Oh, and Pug, it may have been on a mountain but it was on a mountain in full view of over a hundred others, many of whom were Malaysian guides who would have been deeply offended.
Steven with a V
Cardiff Valleys
Steven with a V is male 

12-06-2015, 01:00 PM

Malaysia is a stiflingly Conservative culture and whilst the strippers should of perhaps have behaved with a tad more sensitivity I was amused to read the locals believed their actions caused the subsequent earthquake! I spent much of my 20's backpacking and Kibbutzing and witnessed a lot of bad behaviour from British and Commonwealth backpackers, but hey; these are just vibrant, adventurous youths having a whole "lotta" fun. *Sigh* if only I could turn that clock back!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2015, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
I think it's gone ott.
Ok-they're young and silly. Yes,they may have ignored warnings....now-put your hand up,the one person here who has NEVER made a mistake,be it deliberate or accidental. Plus,to blame a pair of boobs for an earthquake??? Which is bloody ridiculous...but nobody gainsays THAT!

No-send 'em home,in shame,publicised shame....but DON'T get all 12th century about it! It was on top of a MOUNTAIN,and it was momentary. This whole non-event is the result of somebody wanting to earn a few £££ from the papers...after all,what would they be saying had there NOT been an earthquake?? I understand entirely that this was warned against by their guide,who explained WHY the mountain is sacred...but we were ALL young once...a dare is a dare....NOT a statement of disregard for religious beliefs.
Sorry as others have said that is wrong, and whether you believe the act caused the earth quake or not doesn't matter it's what the local populance believe that matters here. A dare is a dare ? these kids were well into their 20s fully grown adult humans not children. A dare to an adult is nothing or should be nothing. Respect for others should be the thing that matters.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2015, 02:20 PM

I don't think this is anything to do with "respect" for other peoples' religions/culture. I've travelled all over the world and have nothing but utter contempt for many peoples' beliefs and culture. The difference is, I have common sense and didn't do anything in those peoples' countries which I knew would be either illegal or offensive. These kids were stupid, not evil and three days in jail is about right!
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2015, 02:32 PM

She's been released, and has a £1,000 fine.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2015, 02:53 PM

i heard she got 3 days arrrgh ...total show up for he family '
tough is she didnt like being arrested -dont go to another country and show your tits -- get what u deserve ....kids yea' but silly adults .shes very lucky girl -lessoned learnt ....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2015, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Steven with a V ->
Malaysia is a stiflingly Conservative culture and whilst the strippers should of perhaps have behaved with a tad more sensitivity I was amused to read the locals believed their actions caused the subsequent earthquake! I spent much of my 20's backpacking and Kibbutzing and witnessed a lot of bad behaviour from British and Commonwealth backpackers, but hey; these are just vibrant, adventurous youths having a whole "lotta" fun. *Sigh* if only I could turn that clock back!!
You want to turn back the clock to urinate on a mountain and stick to fingers up to the culture you should be embracing ? You'd go all that way just to show yerself up ?
Well, I missed 'nothing' from my youth, enjoyed every minute and managed to throw in respect too ............
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2015, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I don't think this is anything to do with "respect" for other peoples' religions/culture.

I have common sense and didn't do anything in those peoples' countries which I knew would be either illegal or offensive.
I think you contradict yourself. "Respect" can be defined as having due regard for the feelings, wishes or rights of others. It does not mean you have to admire those feelings, wishes or rights.
By using your common sense you are, indeed, respecting other peoples' culture.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

12-06-2015, 03:38 PM

You want to turn back the clock to urinate on a mountain and stick to fingers up to the culture you should be embracing ? You'd go all that way just to show yerself up ?
Well, I missed 'nothing' from my youth, enjoyed every minute and managed to throw in respect too ............
Nice one, Patsy!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2015, 03:42 PM

You're not right Pug
They 'deliberately' did this act with total disregard and lack of respect
Regardless of an earthquake, its the sheer manner they took and the behaviour was not only disrespectful but sickening.
I doubt many on here would have done the same ..........

You're right he's not right Patsy. (work that one out).

Anyway, being 'young and silly' has nothing to do with it.
Respect and common sense should be taught from a very young age, and these idiots certainly were not children. It was a deliberate act which they were asked not to do, but they chose to do it anyway. They were lucky to have got off as lightly as they did.
If it had been Saudi they might have had them chopped off!

Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top