Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 09:37 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Plenty of drama making that film “Annie get your Gun’’ Betty Hutton wasn’t well liked on the set either, and who could ever imagine Buffalo Bill dying of a heart attack! Judy Garland didn’t want to do the film anyway, ah yes the old pills, maybe she should have done “The Sound of Music” instead, then she could have sang “High on a pill was a lonely goatherd. Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo” good informative read that.

That computer clip made me laugh Solo, very funny.

Yes Spitty I read about the Google tests on the new quantum computer, it seems the 1-0 can work individually on this machine increasing the speeds dramatically, and they say that a task that would take 10,000 years to perform was done in 200 minutes with the quantum method, and this is only the beginning! Hmmm… wonder how long it would take it to sort out brexit?
We are not ready for these speeds in my opinion, we would need a whole new set of marbles for a start, all that quantum stuff is very spooky, things that have happened haven’t happened yet, an orange in Africa can contact and “talk” to another orange in California, even Einstein threw the towel in on this one, he said “There must be a God because there’s no one on this earth who can figure out this stuff’
With these terrific speeds the speed of light will be left in the ha’penny place, you could have a whole nights sleep before you even went to bed, watch 1,000 boxed sets in an hour, do a weeks work in two minutes, but I’m afraid it rules out soft boiled eggs and sex for men.. A million more possibilities, the mind boggles.
In the words of that old song “You’re messin’ with dynamite” We’ll be all long gone by then so make the best of these slow easy going times while you can.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 10:16 PM

That's why those autonomous vacuum cleaners never caught on, floored data.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 10:54 PM

They're running backwards today, and once again you stand alone.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
That's why those autonomous vacuum cleaners never caught on, floored data.
We had one of those robot vacuum cleaners Spitty, the wife got a present of one and she used it a few times, I think a good sweeping brush does a far better job on a wooden floor, quicker too, anyway the dog would follow it around the living room and wouldn’t let it perform it’s duty, he must have thought it was an alien invading his territory, he barked and blocked it all the time it was on, the thing finally gave up the ghost and conked out, it’s up in the attic now, probably a loose wire or something small like that, but it can stay up there, Indeed where would we be without an attic to put all this useless “labour saving” junk they come out with.
That reminds me come the Spring I’ll have to sort it all out, find the nearest electrical graveyard and get rid of all the VCR tapes and the now useless machines that play them, even the CD discs are clutter now when we have the exterior hard drives to put everything on, there’s two or three CD players up there that are never used, two tube TVs, also a few satellite receiver boxes and dozens of various cables, sockets, plugs, remote controls, connectors etc., you know the way you tell yourself that someday they will come in handy, but machines and cables are changing so quickly now that it’s foolish to hold onto the likes of old players, scart's, and switchers.
The last time I was up in the attic I came across an old photograph of herself and me when we were courting, it was taken by one of the old street photographers in O’Connell St. as we were heading out to one of her sisters to babysit, it must be over 50 years since I saw it last, I was touched.

Speaking of being touched.

Back in the early 80’s I’d just finished working very late in town, I fancied a pint but I knew I’d never make it to my local before closing time, so I went into this pub on the quays I’d never been in before. I got my drink and was sitting at the bar, the chap next to me started a conversation with me about horse racing and we yapped away.
After the next pint I paid the barman and said excuse me to the fella I was talking to as I was going to the gents toilet. “Oh don’t use that one, use the one in the lounge’ says he. I thought this strange until he told me that they called the toilet in the bar ‘The Hammer Shed” when I asked him why that was he said that anyone who goes in there is always followed by some moocher who will put the hammer on them, meaning in Dublin slang that you will be touched for a few bob.
I decided to use it anyway as it was raining and I would have to go outside to get to the lounge toilet. Sure enough I wasn’t 10 seconds in there when I got a tap on the shoulder “Spare a few bob for an old sailor mate”
That was me first and last trip to that bar and the “Hammer Shed”.

Pete Seeger wrote this song, Sam Cooke also sang it, but I prefer this 1963 version by Trini Lopez.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

26-10-2019, 10:00 PM

Did Percy Sledge cover that?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 06:48 PM

Never been one for gadgets. I have all my old vinyl Eps, Lps, cassette tapes, Video tapes, walkman etc and I can still play all as I am a bit backwards in coming forward with updating stuff that is much loved and still working.

The stylus still works on my old record player turntable and there is something very satisfying watching a record drop with that distinctive clunk and then after that wait you get the music... .scratches and all.

With the tape deck every now and again a cassettee tape will stick I use the pencil to wind it back and forth and hope for the best. Whats the saying.....Old things are always in good repute, present things in disfavour.

Thing was stuff used to be made to last and I took that literally to mean what it said. You cant do that with things made to day. You only have to touch the stuff and it falls apart.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

27-10-2019, 09:43 PM

Did Percy Sledge cover that?
Sorry but no, Mike Hammer did, no relation to Jack Hammer, he was a tough private eye and he was very short tempered, I believe that just before he appeared on the Terry Wogan show with Jimmy Nail they were talking about tacks, Hammer lost his rag and hit Jimmy Nail on the head, left him with a 5Lbs. lump, or so a fella from the BBC was telling me.
And what about Percy Thrower? did he not win the national Scottish Hammer throwing contest in 1970?
Hammers are like Nuns, they do a lot of good work, but there’s not a lot one can say about them.

I’m glad you still enjoy all the old electrical stuff Solo, more luck to you, I’ve gotten terribly lazy of late and I’m a sucker for the latest piece of audio/video technical junk that comes out, and I agree, junk is all it is, not made to last and meant to be thrown away after so long.
The most recent gadget I got is a bluetooth sound bar, really great sound from it, it’s black, about 10” long and 4” high, with this I can connect wirelessly to a computer, a hard drive, or the TV and phone, I don’t use a mobile phone so that’s out for me, I get my music anywhere I go within range, great for the garden on a sunny day if you want to listen to an audio book or whatever, how long will it last? I don’t care really, it only cost me €20 post free from China, the very same make sells in town for €80, I mean one wouldn’t get much change for a packet of cigarettes from €20, and how long do they last.
That’s what makes me laugh, once you say you got something from China they say it’s cheap junk, but they forget all the big name junk in the high street and from online providers is all made in China too, Apple included.
I know I’ve said this before, but I still find the Chinese great to deal with, never had any problems and they are incredibly polite, one shop even sent me a Christmas card in Gaeilge!

When China takes over the world I’ll be OK, me velly good customer.

Cabaret night in the local tonight featuring “Ireland’s Gene Pitney”????. Whoever he is he must be as old as me if he remembers Pitney, can’t wait to compare the voices, good luck to him.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

27-10-2019, 11:23 PM

Sometimes folks wobble, it happens, but when a folk wobbles at an annual event, when previous yearly events have been steady as a rock, that could be a cause for concern, or not, maybe, time will tell.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

27-10-2019, 11:25 PM

Next Year.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 10:58 AM

Thanks Jem...wonderful song by Gene Pitney.

Not always folk that wobble.......

I am not usually one to laugh at others misfortune but I was hard pressed not too when I read about Twiglet who lives in a small upstairs flat in Yorkshire.

Now we are not talking about a 60s skinny model or those tasty savoury twiglet nibbles but a 5ft, 30 stone micro pig called Twiglet..yes I did type MICRO pig. She had her own mattress and duvet...but there again what flat living micro pig doesn't! and Twiglets weight gain was due to porridge and chinese food...so let that be a lesson to you.

Due to a change of circumstances Twiglet needed to be rehomed so in comes our hard pressed non judgemental heroic Firefighters who dutifully did the deed..and you wonder at what was really going through their minds whilst dealing with so much pork. Could that possibly have been Twiglet butties all round

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/102242...-pet-pig-flat/

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top