Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 11:44 PM

Opininons

Are there threads you don't comment on, not those political ones, general ones, because your input, would not be welcome?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 11:58 PM

Re: Opininons

I pick threads I like to comment on. I mostly get ignored but, Hey Ho!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 12:03 AM

Yep. Absolutely. And yes I would like to comment on why I don't. I joined this forum to have some good discussions, share opinions, maybe make a few friends and learn something. I did not join it to have arguments or conflicts with people. But I have had. I wasn't looking for conflict but I have got it a few times. Maybe it was my fault in part but certainly not in full. There are some very abrasive people here yes. People who have views that I don't agree with, others who have views that make me sick to my stomach and have made me feel like chucking it in. And there are others that I agree with. You get that every where. It's no big deal. It's life. But there's a lot of nice people too. They are why I stay. But since April when I joined I have found that many of my views, political, social and otherwise are not shared by many, maybe a majority of people here. I have learned a few things, mostly about Brexit. I've had a few laughs. But my friend list is still empty and I've had no offers. I offered friendship to one person but it was ignored. No never mind so since, I haven't bothered. I nevertheless try to put an idea in here and there. And I have had some great feedback from a few people. One in particular..can I say who?..Thanks Silver Tabby for your gracious comments..But I find myself commenting less and less as time goes by. Not because I'm afraid to speak my mind, but simply because I like peace. ON and off line But I also find many people very kind and supportive to each other. Like a family and that's a really nice thing about the forum and British people in general. They care about each other unlike other Europeans. But on the negative side, the only thing I will say that really irritates me about the forum in a general sense - and again this is ONLY my opinion - is the pessimism that seems to creep into just about everything here. Maybe it's a cultural difference, maybe it's the weather. I don't know. It's just very pervasive.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 12:33 AM

Oh, Keezoy, Keezoy....

With all of my heart and mind, I completely disagree with every aspect of your post.

Just kidding . Well-considered like so many of your posts. Your opinions are valued here!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 01:01 AM

I do agree with Keezoy on one point.... the pessimism.
I am getting weary of reading that the world is going to blow up, the immigrants are going to take over this country, there’s going to be no food and we’re all going to starve plus other pessimistic threads about the government, the weather... so much doom and gloom.

Keezoy, There is one thing l always feel bad about and that is, l didn’t say, ‘Happy Birthday’ to you on your birthday thread. It wasn’t because l didn’t want to, it was because l hadn’t logged in during that time. By the time, l was back posting your birthday thread was down the page and far away.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Yep. Absolutely. And yes I would like to comment on why I don't. I joined this forum to have some good discussions, share opinions, maybe make a few friends and learn something. I did not join it to have arguments or conflicts with people. But I have had. I wasn't looking for conflict but I have got it a few times. Maybe it was my fault in part but certainly not in full. There are some very abrasive people here yes. People who have views that I don't agree with, others who have views that make me sick to my stomach and have made me feel like chucking it in. And there are others that I agree with. You get that every where. It's no big deal. It's life. But there's a lot of nice people too. They are why I stay. But since April when I joined I have found that many of my views, political, social and otherwise are not shared by many, maybe a majority of people here. I have learned a few things, mostly about Brexit. I've had a few laughs. But my friend list is still empty and I've had no offers. I offered friendship to one person but it was ignored. No never mind so since, I haven't bothered. I nevertheless try to put an idea in here and there. And I have had some great feedback from a few people. One in particular..can I say who?..Thanks Silver Tabby for your gracious comments..But I find myself commenting less and less as time goes by. Not because I'm afraid to speak my mind, but simply because I like peace. ON and off line But I also find many people very kind and supportive to each other. Like a family and that's a really nice thing about the forum and British people in general. They care about each other unlike other Europeans. But on the negative side, the only thing I will say that really irritates me about the forum in a general sense - and again this is ONLY my opinion - is the pessimism that seems to creep into just about everything here. Maybe it's a cultural difference, maybe it's the weather. I don't know. It's just very pervasive.

"unlike other Europeans" ???
That's a bit of a sweeping statement.

You can hardly blame people for being pessimistic at the moment,the political situation is very unsettling,although it's true it does rain a lot there.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
"unlike other Europeans" ???
That's a bit of a sweeping statement.

You can hardly blame people for being pessimistic at the moment,the political situation is very unsettling,although it's true it does rain a lot there.
Well mate I guess it's a matter of experience yes?..Probably one of the most frequent statements I heard in my travels through continental Europe was "This is not my problem" or something to the effect of "Tell somebody who cares". I don't blame anybody for anything I'm just talking about what I see here. And what (sometimes) stops me from commenting on threads. That was the question yeah? And..what made you latch on to the only negative thing I said?..and totally ignore the other positive things?..just asking. And I love Melbourne. IT's a totally cool and groovy city. But I find the weather there not too much different to the UK apart from the height of summer.
keezoy
Australia

30-10-2019, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I do agree with Keezoy on one point.... the pessimism.
I am getting weary of reading that the world is going to blow up, the immigrants are going to take over this country, there’s going to be no food and we’re all going to starve plus other pessimistic threads about the government, the weather... so much doom and gloom.

Keezoy, There is one thing l always feel bad about and that is, l didn’t say, ‘Happy Birthday’ to you on your birthday thread. It wasn’t because l didn’t want to, it was because l hadn’t logged in during that time. By the time, l was back posting your birthday thread was down the page and far away.
Hey no never mind my friend. I have forgotten people too. Thanks anyway!
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Well mate I guess it's a matter of experience yes?..Probably one of the most frequent statements I heard in my travels through continental Europe was "This is not my problem" or something to the effect of "Tell somebody who cares". I don't blame anybody for anything I'm just talking about what I see here. And what (sometimes) stops me from commenting on threads. That was the question yeah? And..what made you latch on to the only negative thing I said?..and totally ignore the other positive things?..just asking. And I love Melbourne. IT's a totally cool and groovy city. But I find the weather there not too much different to the UK apart from the height of summer.
To make such a generalization about Europeans had to be disputed.I've travelled a lot in Europe too.
They don't say Melbourne has "four seasons in one day " for nothing.
keezoy
Australia

30-10-2019, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
To make such a generalization about Europeans had to be disputed.I've travelled a lot in Europe too.
They don't say Melbourne has "four seasons in one day " for nothing.
Sure. As I said I can only base what I say on my own experience. And that is that I found people - generally- more caring of each other in Britain, The US and Canada than I did in Europe. If we all had the same experiences and/ or never disputed anything it would be a boring old world. For the sake of balance I will also say that some of the kindest, most generous and hospitable people I have met have also been some of the poorest. BUt that's getting off topic I guess. Sorry Spitfire. And thanks also to you SurfMom for that nice comment!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top