Join for free
Page 14 of 15 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 >
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

02-10-2019, 11:04 PM

Re: Katie Hopkins in the Supreme Court

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
leavers were initially angry at the EU for meddling in UK affairs, two reasons specifically, allow other EU fishing nations exclusive access to UK fishing waters whereas the UK is restricted heavily from fishing in other EU nations waters and secondly
I think you underestimate my understanding of this. I get what you are saying, but like everything in Brexit, you can only compare what the UK currently have to what the UK will have if they leave the EU.

The reality is that a Brexit would require a complete re-negotiation of fishing rights, with uncertain outcomes. Some of these rights extend back to the Middle Ages and banning foreign vessels from UK waters may well be incompatible with international law.

Such negotiations may harm trading relationships with Europe. At present the UK exports around 80% of its wild-caught seafood, with four of the top five destinations being European countries.

Remaining in the EU also has big benefits for the marine ecosystems that the fishing industry ultimately relies on. The Habitats Directive protects key habitats and species such as reefs and Atlantic salmon, while the Water Framework Directive and Marine Strategy Framework Directive commit EU members to restore and protect the environment. It seems unlikely that the UK’s current Conservative government, at least, would continue similarly progressive measures after a Brexit.

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
To allow UK prisoners the right to vote, as per ruling by the European Court of Human Rights.
This was already moving in the right direction dating as far back as 2017, where prisoners on temporary release and at home under curfew would gain the right to vote after a British compromise offer was accepted in 2017 by the Council of Europe. The problem however is that Brexit has taken this and completely exploded it into something far greater than it is. It's sensationalism and it's just another weak excuse that doesn't hold water yet so many people believe it's an epidemic.

And with regards to taking back your borders, you will actually lose way more control if you leave the EU with no deal. This is a leave belief about an immigration threat that has been grossly overstated. Ending the free movement of people will equally end access to the other aspects of the single market that have done so much to benefit Britain economically for the past two and a half decades.

I hear your points Dodgy and I know you are passionate about this, but I personally believe that leavers are looking too far into what they believe is the promised land. There is a sort of 'Ah look lads we'll sort it out when the time comes but lets cross the line first'.

You have got to think of what you have now verses what you will not have my severing the various parts involved to make the whole. I'm honestly not on here to piss people off. I'm too old for that. I just want people to consider all aspects of a departure.
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

02-10-2019, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
If the judges needed to make up a law to get their way it stands to reason they have meddled with the unwritten constitution.

Remainers will use whichever 'facts' or 'evidence' will justify their narrative. That is undeniable.
The efficacy of that alleged evidence does not concern them.

None of it trumps the most undeniable of facts that Remain lost the referendum and Brexit we must.
Do you have proof or is this speculative on your part? If it's the former, then please share your proof. If it's the latter, then it's only your opinion and it's more than likely bias.

So be careful when you use words like undeniable.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You make a lot of assumptions about the voting public AnnieS
We never knew what we were voting for!
We never accept a result if we lose, etc etc!
Who are you to cast these judgements on us?
Have you ever seen or heard such shyte taking place before
now? I dont think so?
Where 80% of parliament are actively engaged in subverting
the majority decision of the people ie( democracy )By any and
All means possible, including passing makeshift laws at short
notice to prevent the lawful implementation of the peoples
will! In other times it would be called treason?
Thats the stuff that monarchs and dictators used to do and
And YOU agree with it!!
This would not have happened if TM had not given away her
majority, l have wondered if she did it purposely as she was
such a remainer at heart??

Regards Donkeyman!
Like I said, had the vote gone the other way by the same proportions Nigel has said he would be fighting it all the way. In the real world that is what happens when you have two opposing points of view on something so important. What is happening now is not unexpected.

There's no such thing as "the will of the people". Democracy is a moving feast.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by AidoPotato ->
Back again with the conspiracies to support your narrative. It happens every single time with leavers who flat refuse to accept the prorogation was unlawful. Of course it was different to others for a whole host of reasons but if you can't admit that then there isn't much I can say that will make you believe otherwise.

It wasn't unlawful until there was a law to make it unlawful

Don't worry, here comes anothern 9th October
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by AidoPotato ->
Do you have proof or is this speculative on your part? If it's the former, then please share your proof. If it's the latter, then it's only your opinion and it's more than likely bias.

So be careful when you use words like undeniable.

Proof ?

Yes... it happened.

Stay awake !
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
If the judges needed to make up a law to get their way it stands to reason they have meddled with the unwritten constitution.

Remainers will use whichever 'facts' or 'evidence' will justify their narrative. That is undeniable.
The efficacy of that alleged evidence does not concern them.

None of it trumps the most undeniable of facts that Remain lost the referendum and Brexit we must.
That law as you call it, originated from the verdict. If you understand the principles of precedent and case law, you cannot make such a mistake. So from now on no pm can ever use the power to prorogue given to him/her for political purposes.
The power to prorogue already had a lawful basis, but how far it extended, i.c. what it may be used for, has been further defined by the vruling of the supreme court.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
It wasn't unlawful until there was a law to make it unlawful
So what was this new law then? Have they not just more clearly defined the boundaries of existing law?
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
So what was this new law then? Have they not just more clearly defined the boundaries of existing law?
Not a new law, but an amendment to the existing law in my opinion.

When the Attorney General gave legal advice to Mr Johnson about being able to prorogue parliament for 5 weeks, at that time it was lawful you heard him say so in PMQ's when he was being grilled by the opposition). Remember, the last time parliament was prorogued was back in 1997 when John Major was PM and he wanted to suppress the report into the conservatives 'cash for questions' row. John Major prorogued parliament for 3 weeks but no one took the matter to court saying John Major abused his position as PM.

All the Supreme Court have done is effectively modified the existing law by making it more clearly defined what the PM can and cannot do when it comes to proroguing parliament.

NOTE: It was the Attorney General during his grilling at PMQ's which stated that the Supreme Court had created a 'new law'.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 10:43 PM

What has been the effect of all this legal jiggery pokery in practical
terms?
Boris is still ploughing on, he has not modified his intentions one
jot so far? And recieved no rebuke from their supremnessess
for his response to them??
What this sham LEGAL? attempt to bring the electorate to heel has
illustrated to the public is the lengths the establishment will go
in order to get their way??
Regards Donkeyman!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

04-10-2019, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
The one that makes parliamentary prerogative a decision for the courts, when it never was before

Page 14 of 15 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top