Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 02:13 PM

Re: You're So Vain

Well thanks so much for the request SP but as you saw I don't use the FR system so turn down all such requests. Nothing at all personal. x
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Well thanks so much for the request SP but as you saw I don't use the FR system so turn down all such requests. Nothing at all personal. x
I respect that.x
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 04:13 PM

Interesting article here from a few years back that even then suggested that Facebook and Twitter have become key tools associated with vanity.

It suggests that FB is the "Mirror" that people use to project and maintain an image of themselves in the social world and that Twitter is the "megaphone" through which they voice opinions, all of it supporting Narcissm.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0611122111.htm

"Among young adult college students, we found that those who scored higher in certain types of narcissism posted more often on Twitter,"

"But among middle-aged adults from the general population, narcissists posted more frequent status updates on Facebook."

"It's about curating your own image, how you are seen, and also checking on how others respond to this image," he said. "Middle-aged adults usually have already formed their social selves, and they use social media to gain approval from those who are already in their social circles."

"For narcissistic college students, the social media tool of choice is the megaphone of Twitter."

I think there's probably a lot of truth in this. I don't use either FB or Twitter and personally find them mostly a negative thing. I hear no end of people having arguments about who said what on FB and Twitter. People seem to feel freer to speak their minds on those platforms than they would in real life to real people.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The thing is Tess/Tachyon, when you look in the mirror, do you see the same thing that other's see?
No idea. It's my friend's observation and I've heard other women agree with her so I sort of get where they are coming from, but it isn't something I have personally noticed.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

06-04-2019, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
No idea. It's my friend's observation and I've heard other women agree with her so I sort of get where they are coming from, but it isn't something I have personally noticed.
Well I guess a mirror is a mirror so if people see different things in different mirrors it's probably down to how they feel on the day and surrounding factors.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2019, 09:41 AM

I would agree, Realist.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2019, 09:46 AM

I think when we look in a mirror we only see the bad/negative things about ourselves.
Maybe, we should reflect more on the good things about ourselves?
I mean, for some of us at this age, to stand, be able to see ourselves in the mirror is an achievement!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-04-2019, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I think when we look in a mirror we only see the bad/negative things about ourselves.
Maybe, we should reflect more on the good things about ourselves?
I mean, for some of us at this age, to stand, be able to see ourselves in the mirror is an achievement!
What we see the most I suspect is the passage of time.

As it is something we have done all of our lives, we remember previous times when we looked and things were different. Skin was tighter, hair more abundant and so on.

I don't look in mirrors our of vanity though.

I use a mirror as a functional device to see if I have shaved properly or cut my hair evenly.

Some use a mirror as a painting canvas, preening, plucking, colouring until the resulting visage is what they desire.

Each to their own.

In terms of women, I would take the natural "un-painted" woman over the false canvas creation every time.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 12:39 PM

My guilty pleasure; I watch my 600lb life all about people who want to lose weight but they can't stop eating. Often they are confined to their beds because they simply can't stand up.

But when you see what they eat then it's not surprising to understand how they got that way. Huge dishes of fried chicken or shrimp with sides of chips, macaroni cheese, coleslaw and big tubs of ice cream. And this is in America.

I wonder how they can afford it because they all seem to have nice houses, cars and all the latest tech products etc.

They often have enablers, family, friends who have weight problems themselves but they only weigh around 250lb and thus are mobile.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
My guilty pleasure; I watch my 600lb life all about people who want to lose weight but they can't stop eating. Often they are confined to their beds because they simply can't stand up.

But when you see what they eat then it's not surprising to understand how they got that way. Huge dishes of fried chicken or shrimp with sides of chips, macaroni cheese, coleslaw and big tubs of ice cream. And this is in America.

I wonder how they can afford it because they all seem to have nice houses, cars and all the latest tech products etc.

They often have enablers, family, friends who have weight problems themselves but they only weigh around 250lb and thus are mobile.
I had to laugh at this. As my daughter once said to me, "Dad, what are lumbs and ozzies?"

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top