Join for free
Page 274 of 370 « First < 174 224 264 272 273 274 275 276 284 324 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 09:46 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
One minor annoyance is I have to go to the city hospital to pick up the meds every month from the hospital pharmacy. I'm not allowed to collect it until I have had a blood test and I hand over a little purple logbook from the rheumatology department which has a note in it saying I am authorised to get it. Not one pharmacist in the county is allowed to dispense it. It's a long and tiring trip for me by public transport, but there's no alternative, sadly.

However, I am off to bed now - gawd, 9pm, how sad is that - to try and fortify myself for the gym. I really hope I can do something worthwhile this time...
Are you the same as me Tachyon, I'm usually all burned out by 9:00 pm but I can hold out until ten. I often wonder if I'm so tired because of the running, even though I've drastically cut down the mileage, but I'm loath to give it up. What would I blame the tiredness on then, because I believe that I would be just as tired....

Keep up the good work Tachyon even though it seems all uphill sometimes, I'm sure the good bits outweigh the bad and we'll benefit in the long run...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 05:57 PM

Tachyon - Sorry I'm late with this but Bob's spot on mate, he's been there.
All you can do is hope that these meds don't aggravate things too much. Possibly there is a different type your GP could prescribe which doesn't involve all those side effects? Whatever mate, keep at it re your gym training if you can as that will keep your spirits up and diversify from thinking too much about all of this.
Did you manage to get there today mate?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 07:35 PM

I did, Floydy, although I was making every excuse not to go. I dragged myself there though and felt I had achieved something just getting there. It was a so-so workout but the tiredness kicked in again so I called it quits. I'm seeing a GP tomorrow so I'll be interested in what she has to say.

Take care all and keep up the good work.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I did, Floydy, although I was making every excuse not to go. I dragged myself there though and felt I had achieved something just getting there. It was a so-so workout but the tiredness kicked in again so I called it quits. I'm seeing a GP tomorrow so I'll be interested in what she has to say.

Take care all and keep up the good work.
You made the effort Tachyon and that's half the battle, well done Good luck for tomorrow mate.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 09:53 PM

After Sunday's poor recovery I had a surprising five mile run this morning. I felt really good with everything working well, and managed to continue my day without incident, just the obligatory power nap after lunch.....

Good luck for tomorrow Tachyon, keep us posted.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-04-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
After Sunday's poor recovery I had a surprising five mile run this morning. I felt really good with everything working well, and managed to continue my day without incident, just the obligatory power nap after lunch.....
Well done Bob, five miles more is five miles added to your fitness goals

- - - - - - - - - -

Wednesday 10/4/19: “Muscle hardness training”
Slow, controlled, flexed 6-set exercises.
Part 2. Legs 1 hour.
(All weights in kgs)

I was meant to be doing this on Sunday a day after the three-hour upper body workout, but that latterly-mentioned session took everything out of me, so it was postponed. With things to do Monday and yesterday, I finally got to grips with the workout today.
I do wish to mention theta the upper body workout was extremely effective by the way. Although it was incredibly difficult to perform at the time, the results appear to have benefited me in a very pleasing way; the muscles are stronger and firmer and unlike a usual workout they have actually stayed like this rather than last about three hours then settled back down again. I shall be continuing with this form of exercising for some considerable time, adding weight each session to my exercises but splitting the time into two sessions rather than one unholy marathon event!

So to the leg training of today on a similar theme, and things went very well. I did however curtail my training at one hour as there’s work tonight and the way things were going I would have found it rather difficult to even walk, never mind tramp around a warehouse for eight hours, so I shelved the sled press until next Sunday – everything else on my list was carried out well with the legs feeling fit, looking very strong and after some stretches, nice and supple afterwards for a change.

So to recap, it’s five sets of increasing weight with the usual paused reps on the heaviest set. The “+” on the heavy set is for as many extra reps as possible after a pause for breath – this actually builds the muscles but is extremely hard and takes a lot of effort to accomplish. The final set is a standard ‘cooldown’ set; upgraded to 15 reps for each leg muscle group on each exercise.

Lying ham curl:
20x20, 15x25, 10x32.5
8x40 +2
15x20

Incline press:
Feet low on plate -
20x150, 15x200, 10x250
4x300 +2
15x100

Feet high on plate, reverse sets
6x250 +3
10x220, 15x200, 20x150
15x100
*As you see, the weights were in reverse order when I changed my foot position for no other reason that it saved me time taking off the weights and adding them back on each time again! Rather different but at least it gave my legs a bit of a breather looking forward to the lighter weight each time. Both the 15x100 sets were done at the same time.

Seated ham curl:
20x40, 15x50, 10x60
6x70 +1
15x30

Extensions:
20x40, 15x60, 10x80
6x100 +2

Extensions extra ‘bounce’ sets:
20x60, 15x80, 10x90
8x100 +6
*Legs stretched almost fully without locking, with a bounce at full stretch to ‘flex’ the inner knee quads.

Extensions, slow rep finish:
15x50, 15x30

Adductor:
20x50, 15x55, 10x60
8x60 +2
15x40

Abductor:
20x40, 15x45, 10x50
8x60 +2
15x35

Knackered but feeling very powerful. I’ll be splitting this down to enable me to do two legs sessions per week from next time. An upper body session will take place either tomorrow (Thursday) or on Friday evening.

Thanks for reading
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 07:17 PM

Oo, oo, ow, ow, Floydy. I'd be a wobbly mess the day after that leg workout. Superbly done. I am off to the gym tomorrow and will give many of you exercises a go - minus a pound or two

Tachyon, what's the word from your GP? I really applaud you for willing yourself to complete a workout despite your body and brain trying to talk you in to a day with your feet up. You have the mind and determination of an athlete. I have a lot of respect for that. That determination should help you press through this frustrating issue with your medications. I'll be interested in hearing how you navigate it.

OGF, you mentioned a poor recovery on Sunday, but that is ancient history! It's a such a good feeling to have a satisfying run after nature beats you back somewhat. Heaven knows I've had my share of that with my sporadic running of late, but I am once again able to prioritize it above almost everything. I've been out for four days in a row, and though I am feeling a little sluggish, I'm getting my breathing back mile by mile. 5.5 today through little prairie towns.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 07:21 PM

I'm sitting here looking at my new exercise bike
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 07:23 PM

I went on my 'old' exercise bike today, I'm ashamed to say I managed just 5 minutes
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Tachyon, what's the word from your GP? I really applaud you for willing yourself to complete a workout despite your body and brain trying to talk you in to a day with your feet up. You have the mind and determination of an athlete. I have a lot of respect for that. That determination should help you press through this frustrating issue with your medications. I'll be interested in hearing how you navigate it.
Hi Surfermom. She is sending me for a chest X-ray as she noted how much I coughed if I fill my lungs beyond a certain point. It's rare for Methotrexate to harm the lungs, but it needs checking.

There was some good news though, in that my blood tests were remarkably good, which has to be a first. She is a bit puzzled that my glucose background levels have dropped again, despite me stopping insulin in October last year. I told the GP surgery I was doing this, of course, as I'm not THAT irresponsible and contrary to expectations it is somehow working. It was 107 (on whatever scale they use) and it had dropped to 85 after 3 months and it is now about 73 and when I was on 4 doses of insulin a day it wasn't making any difference at all. Most odd. She puts it down to the exercise I am doing but there are possibly other factors she can't figure out as yet. It was reassuring that haemoglobin, liver and kidney markers in the blood were all excellent. As I say, a first for me, as every time I have had tests in the last umpteen years there was always something abnormal.

So, on the strength of that I will hit the gym tomorrow with a lighter heart. I hope I can come out seeing an improvement, lol.

Take care all, and keep up all your good works.

Page 274 of 370 « First < 174 224 264 272 273 274 275 276 284 324 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top