Join for free
Page 276 of 370 « First < 176 226 266 274 275 276 277 278 286 326 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 01:50 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Roxy? How's the swimming?

How are the cyclists doing?

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Nice run, OGF. Your theory is a most interesting one. It ties in well to some theories out there about the benefits of occasional fasting. Also worth considering is the ebb, flow, and storage (uptake) and release of neurotransmitters and hormones related to long-distance running. What are the patterns of exercise and recovery that most benefit brain function?

Food (carbs) for thought!
Sorry Surfermom but I didn't understand the question...
Brains and neurotransmitters are outside my area of expertise...
Sometimes I don't know why something happens, I just know it does....

'Everything comes to him who waits'
And yesterday morning while out running my five, I caught up to an old friend.
We have run many long distance paths together and throughout our careers he has always been consistently faster than me.

We discussed old times, and old friends who have since fallen by the wayside or even passed on. We congratulated each other on the tenacity and of being unable to kick the habit of running, but as I led the way over that bumpy potholed lane I sensed him dropping back and faltering.

I eased off the pace while he caught up and noticed an urgency to his breathing, he was panting and gasping while still trying to speak between breaths. We arrived at the railway crossing gates and we shook hands as he explained that this was as far as he goes and must turn around for home.....

I crossed the line and accelerated up the short bank, suddenly realising how slow our pace had become. A similar age to me and a past master of the fells, he was always on another level to me, but now I felt I could have left him in my wake at any time.....Perhaps a rematch on those lonely windswept fells....
The competitive instinct is still deep inside....
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 06:45 PM

Finally, after a really bad couple of weeks, I managed a decent gym session! I think it is due to the chest problem just about clearing up in the last few days, so my worries that the medication was affecting me were unwarranted.

Shoulder Press: 40 x 15Kg (Puny weight, I admit, but I started at 5Kg in Jan)
Tricep Extension: 115 x 30Kg
Back Extension: 120 x 45Kg
Stomach Crunch: 120 x 45Kg
Arm Curl: 30 x 20Kg
Pec Deck: 55 x 35kg, 50 x 40Kg
Chest Press: 80 x 35Kg,70 x 40Kg
Pull Down: 70 x 50kg, 10 x 60Kg
Hip Abduction: 60 x 30Kg
Leg Curl: 35 x 35Kg
Leg Extension: 25 x 25Kg (still weak on this, but regaining lost muscle OK)
Low Row: 35 x 35Kg

Total moves 1423 and burnt 573 calories (two personal bests) and also scored 84 out of 100, so I am very pleased with that.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Finally, after a really bad couple of weeks, I managed a decent gym session! I think it is due to the chest problem just about clearing up in the last few days, so my worries that the medication was affecting me were unwarranted.

Shoulder Press: 40 x 15Kg (Puny weight, I admit, but I started at 5Kg in Jan)
Tricep Extension: 115 x 30Kg
Back Extension: 120 x 45Kg
Stomach Crunch: 120 x 45Kg
Arm Curl: 30 x 20Kg
Pec Deck: 55 x 35kg, 50 x 40Kg
Chest Press: 80 x 35Kg,70 x 40Kg
Pull Down: 70 x 50kg, 10 x 60Kg
Hip Abduction: 60 x 30Kg
Leg Curl: 35 x 35Kg
Leg Extension: 25 x 25Kg (still weak on this, but regaining lost muscle OK)
Low Row: 35 x 35Kg

Total moves 1423 and burnt 573 calories (two personal bests) and also scored 84 out of 100, so I am very pleased with that.
Tachyon, I think you are doing fantastic to be honest. For someone who has been in the wars physically and only recently at that, those results are hugely encouraging. Well done bud
And they are not light weights either. Tally up all those reps and you're really pounding the volume. Great work and keep it going it will do you the world of good
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
'Everything comes to him who waits'
And yesterday morning while out running my five, I caught up to an old friend.
We have run many long distance paths together and throughout our careers he has always been consistently faster than me.

We discussed old times, and old friends who have since fallen by the wayside or even passed on. We congratulated each other on the tenacity and of being unable to kick the habit of running, but as I led the way over that bumpy potholed lane I sensed him dropping back and faltering.

I eased off the pace while he caught up and noticed an urgency to his breathing, he was panting and gasping while still trying to speak between breaths. We arrived at the railway crossing gates and we shook hands as he explained that this was as far as he goes and must turn around for home.....

I crossed the line and accelerated up the short bank, suddenly realising how slow our pace had become. A similar age to me and a past master of the fells, he was always on another level to me, but now I felt I could have left him in my wake at any time.....Perhaps a rematch on those lonely windswept fells....
The competitive instinct is still deep inside....
Bob, it so good to hear all this. Just catching up in here in the middle of the night as usual (and I'm not even at work!) and reading your adventures.
Running along with a mate catching up on old times, with that little bit of competitiveness is surely good for the soul as well as the fitness aspect. Nice work
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-04-2019, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Floydy, I'll be waiting for the weekend report. I jumpstarted the weekend with a nice, but terribly chilly run as we had a hard freeze last night here in Kansas. Yesterday, I actually un-planted many of the begonias, tomatoes and an assortment of delicate flowers that my nieces had planted for mom, but I digress.

Just as I completed my first half mile, I could hear a dog panting and racing up behind me. Whipping around to startle the unlikely but possible aggressor, he zoomed playfully by me at nearly the speed of light. Milky and short-haired, clearly a beagle/lab mix, it took a split second to realize that it was my mom's dog who had apparently escaped from the garden.

With no other choice, what was supposed to be a leisurely run became an all out sprint as I tried to catch him before he approached a heavily driven four lane road. Panting now as much as the dog, I turned calling his name hoping he would think me a willing playmate and it wasn't until I was practically running in (insane) circles that he finally steered away from the highway and I could drag the happy little beast back home. .5 miles + 5 miles + a quart of ice cold water to share with my running buddy.
Oh Suzie, that poor dog just wanted some company I guess. You got some extra sprints in there though, more than you bargained for.
Good to hear you are fully back on the circuit though. When's the surfing season start again btw?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-04-2019, 01:38 AM

Me? Well, I ended up going out yesterday afternoon but not with my usual mates, with my wife instead which is a revelation as she doesn't normally want to go out for a drink. It was actually very nice to speak with my wife about general things for a change, having that time together we really do miss due to our passing lives!
We ended up at the Hull beer festival, had a few and just carried on around the town. I've just woken up after a four-hour slumber with a nagging headache

Sad to say I missed my gym session of course but I have devised a lengthy workout for today which will include some strength-building tension exercises, full body. Watch this space, as they say!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 01:57 AM

Hi

Now a laugh.

My brain is getting better quickly.

My body much less so.

A few days after hospital.

I can now lift 20 Kilos and carry it 30 metres

I do two of those, and then need to rest for ten minutes.

A complete wimp, but getting there.

I think I am still as fast as ever and know where to hit.

I will know the 23rd of this Month, my assessment again.

I have no pretensions at all, I am getting older.

However my Mantra is the same.

A Yorkshire man and his money are not easily parted.

I am not in the same league as you Floydy , far from it.

I look forward to you aging, you will still be you and nobody messing you or your family about.

They will have a lot to be grateful for.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-04-2019, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Now a laugh.

My brain is getting better quickly.

My body much less so.

A few days after hospital.

I can now lift 20 Kilos and carry it 30 metres

I do two of those, and then need to rest for ten minutes.

A complete wimp, but getting there.

I think I am still as fast as ever and know where to hit.

I will know the 23rd of this Month, my assessment again.

I have no pretensions at all, I am getting older.

However my Mantra is the same.

A Yorkshire man and his money are not easily parted.

I am not in the same league as you Floydy , far from it.

I look forward to you aging, you will still be you and nobody messing you or your family about.

They will have a lot to be grateful for.
Thanks Swimmy.
I keep myself fit for just that though - to be healthy and strong in old age, when that arrives
I fear nobody, as you don't either, but I don't often come across people who want to mess either. I never look for trouble. I'm a nice enough bloke who just gets on with his life and being unintentionally but obviously imposing in stature, I tend to feel safer than most. Big arms are reassuring lol.

To yourself though, and you're making a good recovery by the sounds of it. Physical strength isn't everything and to be quick and agile often puts you in a better position to defend yourself against bigger blokes, should the need arise, if you tend to find yourself in those precarious situations. I do not.
Keep well mate
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 05:54 AM

OGF, no need to worry about the question; just me blathering again . Let's just say that after digging through the medical journals, I found plenty of evidence that moderate endurance exercise continues to facilitate brain cell protection and growth throughout life. Heaven knows I can use all the help I can get .

You are a lucky duck to come across your old friend with whom you could chat about all things running for a while. Those close to me tend to have their eyes glaze over at the mere mention of pace, sprints, and running shoes. No doubt you had to feel a little satisfaction in knowing that you could beat your old friend , but we all know that the only competitor that really counts is the one in the mirror . Still....!

Tachyon, my reaction was the same as Floydy's in looking at your list; your reps and weights were most impressive! That you did a full body workout too must have left you feeling encouraged about your increased strength. You've come a remarkable way!

Floydy, a date with your wife is worth a dozen missed workouts. How nice that you all were able to have a little time to get reacquainted. In just a few more years your schedules will align and you can get to know each other better.

Surfing season is year round but my favorite time is in the next few months when the water is warm and I can shed the wetsuit. I am already working on triceps for paddling and pushups so I can press up quick enough to get on my feet. The problem with Kansas is that it is a thousand miles from decent surf. I'm hoping to be back in the water late next week. Send surf.

Swimfeeders, you can't keep a good man down, and you must be an inspiration to your son and others around you that one can be at one's best regardless of looming challenges. Your attitude to fight the good fight is important and I am sure your friends and family must respect you for it.

I ran a sad, huffing, puffing, 5 miles this morning in wind that was icy and knocking me around like a tumbleweed in the Arizona desert. It takes talent though to run with hair in your face no matter which direction you are running, trying to sweep it aside well enough not to run into trees and parked cars. If this keeps up, I might just have to shave my head.

Page 276 of 370 « First < 176 226 266 274 275 276 277 278 286 326 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top