Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2016, 12:06 AM

Information for Ex Pats re Brexit

British Ambassador In Spain Speaks For Expats

Simon Manley the British ambassador in Spain, has assured expats that nothing will change for now and they can 'still carry on using the health service

Acting president Mariano Rajoy is planning a visit this Tuesday to Brussels for all 27 heads of State to discuss the way forward.

To add to the current political and social turbulence, the Spanish general election tomorrow could mean Rajoy is not even president any longer by the time he joins the meeting, although the likelihood of any party gaining an outright majority is slim, so he will probably still be caretaking the role until coalitions are formed.

“Right now, nothing is changing,” Simon Manley insisted.

“You'll still be able to live and work here just as you do now.”

Nothing will change until the UK actually leaves the European Union – it has not done so yet just because of the referendum, and once it invokes Article 50 of the 2007 Lisbon Treaty on leaving the EU, a clause not one country has ever used in 60 years, the UK will have two years to arrange its exit.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2016, 12:23 AM

Re: Information for Ex Pats re Brexit

Thanks for posting that Goldielocks. I was speaking to my sister who lives in Spain, via Skype tonight. The health care situation was one of the things that was worrying her and her husband.
I have now cut and pasted the information and emailed it to her. It will give her reassurance. Thanks again!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2016, 12:50 AM

I hope the tax on property sales doesn't rise for non-EU members.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2016, 07:16 AM

Oh gosh Tpin, hope all this doesn't spoil your plans!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Oh gosh Tpin, hope all this doesn't spoil your plans!
So do I Tessa, I may have to reconsider my options.

I don't fancy the Isle of Man in winter.

But, as long as it's good for my country and fellow countrymen and women I shall take it on the chin....like a man.

Bo***ks

Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2016, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Thanks for posting that Goldielocks. I was speaking to my sister who lives in Spain, via Skype tonight. The health care situation was one of the things that was worrying her and her husband.
I have now cut and pasted the information and emailed it to her. It will give her reassurance. Thanks again!

As far as I know we have existing reciprocal agreements.

Personally as there will be a two year settlement period I would imagine due to the large amount of Spanish living in the UK and Brits in Spain awkwardness between the two countries would be pointless and talks would be underway fairly quickly.

Both Spanish and British citizens contribute to both countries economy.

The truth is I suppose we will all have to wait and see.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2016, 09:52 AM

We too saw the Ambassador´s speech, I think it was as expected. The trouble is, as we have already seen ourselves, some of the older, and less confident, (for want of a better word) are frightened of losing their health care. Private health insurance is all well and good, but no private insurance company will cover "pre existing" illness, plus of course under private health insurance prescriptions are private and full cost of medications charged. Thinking about that, of course that will affect people travelling on holiday from UK too. As your sister no doubt knows Artangel, when you are in the healthcare system here all prescriptions you receive from the doctor put the annual cost of your medications on the bottom of the prescription. If it is just a "one off" prescription for one medication, the cost of the medication is also noted on the prescription.

As for everything else, well we just have to wait and see what transpires.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2016, 09:58 AM

This is what negotiations have to sort out speak loudly to your MPs and anyone else could have a say. Good luck hope it does all work out well for you.
Goldielocks
Spain

27-06-2016, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
We too saw the Ambassador´s speech, I think it was as expected. The trouble is, as we have already seen ourselves, some of the older, and less confident, (for want of a better word) are frightened of losing their health care. Private health insurance is all well and good, but no private insurance company will cover "pre existing" illness, plus of course under private health insurance prescriptions are private and full cost of medications charged. Thinking about that, of course that will affect people travelling on holiday from UK too. As your sister no doubt knows Artangel, when you are in the healthcare system here all prescriptions you receive from the doctor put the annual cost of your medications on the bottom of the prescription. If it is just a "one off" prescription for one medication, the cost of the medication is also noted on the prescription.
As for everything else, well we just have to wait and see what transpires.
Hi Clumsy

The arrangement we have at the moment as we are early retirees is convenio especial. It cost about 60 euros per month and covers all pre existing conditions. They may introduce a similar system to pensioners.

I am hoping pensioners will get the same rights as now due to the contribution they have made in the UK. It's very much wait and see.

If I here anything I will post information.
Goldielocks
Spain

27-06-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I hope the tax on property sales doesn't rise for non-EU members.
Hi Tpin if you are thinking of buying you need to put an extra 10-12,000 pounds for costs.

Depending if you plan to live full time in Spain you have a yearly property tax. If you plan just to live temporarily, say just the winter months, your taxes will be higher as you will be non resident. For us living here full time it is cheaper as we are resident. It may increase for non residents due to Brexit

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top