Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 06:55 PM

Re: There you go - Federal State

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have never seen much wrong with the United States of Europe or the Commonwealth of Europe, it sounds very sensible to me...
Thank you for that Bruce and those are my views also. Unfortunately there seem very few supporters of Europe here!?

Thank you for those links on Junker Tpin.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipM ->
Thank you for that Bruce and those are my views also. Unfortunately there seem very few supporters of Europe here!?
Most Brexiters love Europe, as I do. I have visited many parts of it. I'd also have no problems with being involved with it, trading with it etc . . . but never at the expense of UK nationality, identity and home-grown business.

In short, a European COMMUNITY is great. A political European UNION and federal state (eventually totalitarian) can go **** itself royally !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The state and the federal Parliaments each overseen by an elected upper house (except in Queensland) make the laws. The State parliament is elected by residents of the state and the federal parliament by residents of the states and territories.

All electorates are kept approximately the same size in population (within 10% of each other) which leads to some pretty big electorates for example in NSW Parkes is nearly 400,000 sq km whereas Grayner is 32 sq km. Also as populations change a state can lose a lower house member while another state gains one.

It's a Westminster parliamentary system but unlike Westminster both houses are elected. In NSW elections are held every 4 years for a fixed term whereas the Federal elections are every 3 years, (then of course there are the council elections)

Voting is compulsory, always held on a Saturday and is a preferential system. We end up with the government we deserve elected by 99% of the electors.

The constitution embodies the doctrine of the separation of powers and retains state's rights; it is actually a bill passed by Westminster in July 1900 called "The Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act".
Ah, so completely different from the unelected legislature of the EU, then, as I expected!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 09:42 PM

I'm going to stretch my neck out here and say the EU is going to collapse. I've been studying the unrest and growing resentment towards immigrants in certain countries and it is apparent to me that the indigenous population of some are reaching a tipping point. The commoners are beginning to revolt. I can see right wing governments taking control and these will have no time for open border policies. I will even go so far as to say repatriation will be high on their list of priorities. Merkel's vision for the future is going to create a backlash of mega proportions the exact opposite of her misguided Utopic view of cultural harmony.

Even if right wing governments are not in power, or going to be anytime soon, we are going to see revolt at street level. We are not talking about a long time in the future either - but very soon.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The Common Fisheries Policy is one example where, the UK, having to "tow the EU line" has seen its fishing industry decimated due to the Quota system. This is how it all started:

"In 1970, the original six Common Market members realized that four countries applying to join the Common Market at that time (Britain, Ireland, Denmark including Greenland, and Norway) would control the richest fishing grounds in the world. The original six therefore drew up Council Regulation 2141/70 giving all Members equal access to all fishing waters, even though the Treaty of Rome gave no authority to do this. This was adopted on the morning of 30 June 1970, a few hours before the applications to join were officially received. This ensured that the regulations became part of the acquis communautaire before the new members joined, obliging them to accept the regulation. At first the UK refused to accept the rules but by the end of 1971 the UK gave way and signed the Accession Treaty on 22 January 1972, thereby handing over an estimated four fifths of all the fish off Western Europe[citation needed]. Norway decided not to join. Greenland left the EC in 1985, after having gained partial independence in 1979."

This is the kind of corruption and BS inherent in the EU. The Lisbon Treaty clauses state categorically that any EU member state must support the EU aims and agendas. Thus once you are firmly a part of the EU, you have to tow the line and that line has little to do with British/UK aims/ambitions. If you don't like it, well it's tough, you have no choice but to support the EU. You could of course strike up a petition or submission to make a change to EU policy, but then as I said in my previous post, the UK only has 29 votes in a system that requires you get 260 votes to gain a majority. It is an utterly hopeless situation.

Do any of those other EU member states give a fig about UK fishing industries?

Nope.
An excellent example of why I was absolutely determined to vote to leave the EU. Not only the outcome of this strategy, but the underhand method the EU employs to get what it feels benefits itself (to our detriment).

Nothing to do with immigration, you see, although I do believe we need to take very careful precautions in that respect.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-07-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipM ->
I'm a great supporter of Europe; I find the variety of cultures, for example, of great interest.

However, I am not a supporter of an unassailable dictatorship. Didn't our forefathers fight against such a thing twice in the 20th Century?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I'm going to stretch my neck out here and say the EU is going to collapse.
There is little doubt about that but it will take some time. The EU and their hell for leather push to establish the Euro as the Global Defacto currency has destroyed countries. Greece is ruined, had to be bailed out. Portugal also had to be bailed. Spain, Italy, how many more?

One can see the rising menace that the EU was becoming through the back door. It has delusions if grandeur, to be a United States to rival the USA, to have the primary currency.
Unfortunately it is just a set of rag tag countries who all have different values, traditions, beliefs and ambitions and as such, a "one rule for all" approach doesn't work, neither does a "one currency for all".

There is no doubt in my mind that both the EU and the Euro will collapse but it is going to get ugly first. The problem is that those countries that have already fully committed to EU membership can't easily get out. They will most likely even be prevented from ever holding a referendum on the issue. I expect EU laws and regs are in the process of being swiftly changed as we speak in order to prevent other countries following the UK out.

There's no doubt though that millions of people in various EU countries want out. They may have to go "civil" to get it achieved. There will be increasing riots and civil unrest in some of these countries until they hold referendums imo.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 10:19 PM

It is a shame that these countries need to industrialise to blend, In times past, the victims had somewhere to escape to, now they don't.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-07-2016, 10:34 PM

I agree, and have absolutely no doubt of the ensuing collapse of the EU and, of course, the Euro.
Even if we had not set the trend, the problems were obvious and of particular consequence financially, as has been said, to the Mediterranean members.

Thankfully, we have a head start and should be taking advantage of the situation before others leave and become competitors on the world stage. As it is at the moment, of course, the EU has no trade agreements with the up and coming countries like China and India and, I believe, even America. We need to get on with agreeing deals with them right away.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what is likely to happen to Greece, Portugal and others when the EU does fall apart. Hopefully, it will be to their benefit too.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top