Join for free
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 09:54 AM

Post-Brexit trade deals

I have been saying for the past couple of years that we should have no worries about agreeing trade deals once we have left the EU.

Nevertheless, the prophets of doom on here still insist that we shall struggle to obtain such deals and, even if we do, they will take years to sort out.

Well, here's some welcome news:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/99...ulie-Bishop-EU

The Australian foreign secretary is urging us to get on with Brexit and assures us that "an Australia-UK free trade deal was ready to be signed "as soon as circumstances allow".

Contrary to what I hear from some of our Australian members, she adds "The Foreign Minister praised Britain as a trusted ally, citing a recent poll in her country, where 90 percent of Australias ranked the UK as "the most trustworthy country" in the world."

And, in a swipe to certain British politicians, Ms Bishop said she "looked forward to a time when the UK feels free to make statements beyond those issued by the European Union". (May please take note!)

What an encouraging article, and I am of the firm belief that Australia is not the only country queuing up to join us in mutually beneficial trade after we are, once again, a free nation.

I now look forward to an onslaught, particularly from those (no names, of course) who automatically disagree with what I say!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 10:49 AM

Re: Post-Brexit trade deals

JB if you want an Australian perspective on leaving the EU try John Howard Prime Minister of Australia between 1996 and 2007 .

https://briefingsforbrexit.com/looki...n-john-howard/

I have ceased to take part in discussions about our leaving the EU, I find the arguments against our leaving often laughable, short-sighted and many to be deliberate scaremongering so for the most part best to keep out of it .

'The Common Market' as a way to trade freely with our neighbours has long gone , in its place we have a monstrous money wasting organisation hell-bent on creating a federal Europe with one parliament governing all and one army in charge. Many younger people don't remember the butter and grain mountains caused by the nonsensical common agricultural policy, the decimation of our fishing industry, the silly 'rules' that the British abide by because it is a matter of honour that we do but which others sometimes do not . We already pay taxes to support a government who make our laws and administer the country, who in their right mind would seek to pay vast sums of money for yet another layer of government like the EU.

Many of the produce/goods in out shops do not come from the EU now. To name just a few, some supermarket vegetables (which I rarely buy, I buy British when I can ) and fruit comes from Egypt, Kenya and even the USA. Lots of clothing and household goods come from China, Vietnam, India. Wine from Australia, New Zealand and the US and so on....

So we are already trading with the rest of the world to some extent and I see no reason why that shouldn't be greatly extended. I appreciate some of the tradings may be through EU agreements but we are quite capable of making our own.

I am sure if we 'crash out' of the EU with no deal next March, contrary to what some would have us believe
the world will keep turning .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
JB if you want an Australian perspective on leaving the EU try John Howard Prime Minister of Australia between 1996 and 2007 .

https://briefingsforbrexit.com/looki...n-john-howard/

I have ceased to take part in discussions about our leaving the EU, I find the arguments against our leaving often laughable, short-sighted and many to be deliberate scaremongering so for the most part best to keep out of it .

'The Common Market' as a way to trade freely with our neighbours has long gone , in its place we have a monstrous money wasting organisation hell-bent on creating a federal Europe with one parliament governing all and one army in charge. Many younger people don't remember the butter and grain mountains caused by the nonsensical common agricultural policy, the decimation of our fishing industry, the silly 'rules' that the British abide by because it is a matter of honour that we do but which others sometimes do not . We already pay taxes to support a government who make our laws and administer the country, who in their right mind would seek to pay vast sums of money for yet another layer of government like the EU.

Many of the produce/goods in out shops do not come from the EU now. To name just a few, some supermarket vegetables (which I rarely buy, I buy British when I can ) and fruit comes from Egypt, Kenya and even the USA. Lots of clothing and household goods come from China, Vietnam, India. Wine from Australia, New Zealand and the US and so on....

So we are already trading with the rest of the world to some extent and I see no reason why that shouldn't be greatly extended. I appreciate some of the tradings may be through EU agreements but we are quite capable of making our own.

I am sure if we 'crash out' of the EU with no deal next March, contrary to what some would have us believe
the world will keep turning .
Well said, Meg.

I, too, have decided that the best thing to do is to try not to respond to any scaremongering posts about Brexit.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have been saying for the past couple of years that we should have no worries about agreeing trade deals once we have left the EU.

Nevertheless, the prophets of doom on here still insist that we shall struggle to obtain such deals and, even if we do, they will take years to sort out.

Well, here's some welcome news:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/99...ulie-Bishop-EU

The Australian foreign secretary is urging us to get on with Brexit and assures us that "an Australia-UK free trade deal was ready to be signed "as soon as circumstances allow".

Contrary to what I hear from some of our Australian members, she adds "The Foreign Minister praised Britain as a trusted ally, citing a recent poll in her country, where 90 percent of Australias ranked the UK as "the most trustworthy country" in the world."

And, in a swipe to certain British politicians, Ms Bishop said she "looked forward to a time when the UK feels free to make statements beyond those issued by the European Union". (May please take note!)

What an encouraging article, and I am of the firm belief that Australia is not the only country queuing up to join us in mutually beneficial trade after we are, once again, a free nation.

I now look forward to an onslaught, particularly from those (no names, of course) who automatically disagree with what I say!
Hi

Australia is 14th in World rankings.

We are leaving much bigger Free Trade Deals.

Do you really believe that Australia can replace them?
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Australia is 14th in World rankings.

We are leaving much bigger Free Trade Deals.

Do you really believe that Australia can replace them?
No Australia are only one country. There are many countries in the world. The EU will still want to trade with us.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-07-2018, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
No Australia are only one country. There are many countries in the world. The EU will still want to trade with us.
I agree. Once the deed is done and they find us trading successfully with the world, they'll come scuttling back for a piece of the action.

I've said so many times, and in a few years we'll see that I was right.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top