Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 09:09 AM

Re: TRUST! - Does the Conservative Party Know The Meaning?

You really are a bundle of joy with these disparaging posts Moscow. All I recall seeing on social media, TV and in the media were rousing anti immigration and "blue passport brigade" headlines. The more sensible press discussed Swiss, Norwegian or Canada models. Nobody was talking about crashing out. Most of it was bickering by politicians and no plan. It was a true media circus, a shambles just like Brexit has proven to be.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 12:09 PM

Re: TRUST! - Does the Conservative Party Know The Meaning?

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Trust - And The Record of the Tories.

Theresa May is in for a short, sharp shock if she gives any more concessions to the EU.

She seems to think that the recent ratings of the Conservative Party when a poll asked which party they would vote for were there to be a General Election tomorrow, and the majority saying Conservative, seems to have her believing that this gives her the right to continue on her path of betrayal to the Leave voters. Okay, the Tories have been leading by a few percentage points ahead of Labour recently, but Theresa May herself has lost the trust of a great majority of Leave voters in the last few weeks.
So although the Tory party may well be smirking when they see the polling figures, I can guarantee their smug retorts of “crisis, What crisis? We are still in the lead”, will come back to give them a resounding smack in the face when it finally counts.

Trust in our government is paramount. There is a great deal of difference to answering a poll of who we prefer to be governing us- Tories or Labour? - and Theresa May failing to deliver the Brexit we voted for, Believe me, she is Toast! I personally believe that the Tory party will be badly damaged for a long time to come.

David Cameron spent £9 million of taxpayers money, promising that the result of the Referendum would be implemented and that it was a once-in-a-generation choice. Again, both Cameron and Labour stood up and told us that a vote to leave would mean leaving the Single Market, the Customs Union, ending free movement and the jurisdiction of the ECHR.
I personally believe these four red lines were the reason so many people voted to leave, More than at any time in our national history.

We just about managed to stomach the two year extension after Brexit, even though it tried every Leaver's patience to the fore, but the suggestion of some, that a further period with no end-date in sight, where we would be held ransom to every rule by the EU, plus the only way we would be allowed to leave would be on the say-so of the EU and Ireland, is too much for Leavers to even listen to. The thought that our future, our destiny, would be decided by unelected W….kers in Brussels and a country that is only a spit in size and economy when compared to the rest of the UK, is completely laughable if it wasn’t so serious.
It would cause absolute public fury!

For anyone pooh- poohing that thought about the Tories being out on their ear toot sweet in the very near future over trust - can I remind you of the following.

Ted Heath (TORY) took us into the then Common Market (without a referendum by the people)

Harold Wilson (LABOUR ) then gave us a referendum,(even though the campaign was skewered in favour of remaining in the then EEC)

Margaret Thatcher and John Major (TORIES) signed the Single Market and The Maastricht Treaty, without giving the British people a referendum on whether we wanted our sovereignty to be taken from us.

And then, of course, we have David Cameron,(TORY) who gave a cast-iron guarantee that if elected, he would give a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, The same David Cameron, whom once elected, just as quickly, broke that pledge!
The same David Cameron who, through fear of UKIP’s success at the time, declared that there was to be a referendum to remain or leave the EU, so convinced was he that we would be remaining, promised to be the one to trigger Article 50, and to stick around to see our departure, All we saw of him after breaking both of those pledges, was the dust cloud he left as he scarpered out of Number 10.

Not a lot to trust the Tories with, is there? Their record when it comes to EU matters is not exactly unblemished!!

And of course, we now come to our Theresa May, a known Remainer when she took office, pledging to the electorate when chosen by Parliament to be our esteemed leader, to see Brexit completed, with our red lines respected in full.

Can anyone see a pattern forming?
Yet again, an excellent post SG. I really do look forward to your posts: sensible and convincing.

There is no one party in Parliament which I could trust. May has certainly let us down due to her weakness and pro-EU leanings, and Compo and the Loonies would simply destroy the country completely.

However, there are some individuals in both the Conservatives and Labour who are still willing to respect the majority decision in the 'final' referendum we had two years ago.

At the end of the day, as I have said before, we get what we deserve. We vote for people to represent us in Parliament and if we continue to vote unwisely we end up with MPs who are interested only in themselves and prefer to ignore the wishes of their constituents once elected.

Unfortunately, we have so many naive idiots who continue to vote for the same people that it is unlikely that anything will change.

As I (and others) have said before, the distinct likelihood is that I shall vote UKIP next time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top