Join for free
Page 4 of 29 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 09:47 AM

Re: Benefits of EU membership?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We blame the EU for so much which is our fault not theirs.

One of the big advantages of leaving is that our bunch of useless idiots will have nowhere to hide.

My vacuum cleaner, a Henry, is only 600 watts, absolutely brilliant and British Made.

We can do it, if we put our heads together.

The one thing that concerns me is the gung ho, Britain can be a major power again, punching above our weight.

There are proposals to build new military bases overseas.

Why?

My view is that we need to pull our necks in, slash overseas aid and concentrate on what we need to do to make life better here.
We spent just under £14 billion on overseas aid last year, marginally less than we paid to the EU. Yes we can make savings but we cannot become a nation that is insular and uncaring towards others less fortunate

There are far bigger savings to be had by addressing the gravy train scandal of the £38 billion and ever increasing annual cost of public sector pensions which taxpayers are funding. The total liabilities is something approaching £1.2 trillion

These pensions are grossly over funded by the taxpayers to the extent that public employees can expect the times the pension a private sector worker would receive for the same contributions. There are low paid worketlrs who cannot afford a private pension yet through their taxes are funding others inflated benefits.

If the public sector pensions were normalised we could save £26 billion a year

If there is an economic downturn when we leave the EU the cost of these pensions will be untenable

Whether we will have sufficient funds in the public purse maintain let alone increase defence spending remains to be seen. As regaining so you is one of the major points of Brexit it may be relevant that we also cede some sovereignty to NATO. Are we going to withdraw from that as well?

If we go it alone in the world we need to reduce our trade deficit else the borrowings become untenable we become one downgrade in credit ratings away from disaster

How we do this and maintain our standard of living I don’t know. We have few natural resources left and have an over reliance on services. We’ve sold off most of our assets to foreign buyers so our saviour may be the tech industry but for that to prosper we need to Stacy the best from around the world and that might be harder now

So. there are opportunities but are we in a fit state to take them on.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Hi

This will involve huge changes to the Benefits System.

We have enough unemployed to fill these jobs, they choose not to, because it does not fit in with their views.

The State is not here to give us the lifestyle we want, it is a safety net for those who genuinely cannot work.

Life is tough, nobody owes you a living.

I had to leave home and move away to get on in life.

This is the issue with the Corbyn supporters, they expect others to pay for their lifestyles.

I am happy to pay extra Tax for those who genuinely cannot work, and their carers.

I resent every penny of Tax going to those who think the state owes them a lifestyle they expect.
Swimmy I think that people would have to be bone idle, if they didn't agree with these comments.....but in many cases that is just what the British people are!
I believe that if parents stopped indulging their children & taught them that good education and hard work is the only way to get a better life, both parents & children and the state would be better off!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Strange how you chose to link environmental benefits rather than the advancement of engineering better motors to the reduction in wattage of motors but yes there is a small environmental benefit in less power consumption

Again you let your hatred of the EU blind you to fact. The EU do not own or control what German car makers do.

How were the EU responsible for VW, a privately owned company, altering software to cheat emissions testing?

Please explain what lies the EU told?

The VW scandal ultimately extended to testing over 20 manufacturers from all over the world and the findings were that real world emissions were universally way above EU limits

As far as I’m aware the only involvement the EU had was to respond to requests from numerous nations including the UK to temporarily relax standards until 2019 to ensure manufacturers cars could be leagally sold until change could be implemented.

The EU also took legal action against Germany and six other countries for failing to test vehicles properly

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.i...936.html%3famp

The UK governments knee jerk reaction to the diesel scandal the caused massive damage to parts of the UK car manufacturing industry

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...ry-sales-slump
The EU didn't design 1600W motors. I mentioned about the emissions because it was the EU that came out with the regs.

More quotes from the Guardian...

zzzzzzz same old, same old.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 10:31 AM

We spent just under £14 billion on overseas aid last year, marginally less than we paid to the EU. Yes we can make savings but we cannot become a nation that is insular and uncaring towards others less fortunate

There are far bigger savings to be had by addressing the gravy train scandal of the £38 billion and ever increasing annual cost of public sector pensions which taxpayers are funding. The total liabilities is something approaching £1.2 trillion

These pensions are grossly over funded by the taxpayers to the extent that public employees can expect the times the pension a private sector worker would receive for the same contributions. There are low paid worketlrs who cannot afford a private pension yet through their taxes are funding others inflated benefits.

If the public sector pensions were normalised we could save £26 billion a year

If there is an economic downturn when we leave the EU the cost of these pensions will be untenable

Whether we will have sufficient funds in the public purse maintain let alone increase defence spending remains to be seen. As regaining so you is one of the major points of Brexit it may be relevant that we also cede some sovereignty to NATO. Are we going to withdraw from that as well?

If we go it alone in the world we need to reduce our trade deficit else the borrowings become untenable we become one downgrade in credit ratings away from disaster

How we do this and maintain our standard of living I don’t know. We have few natural resources left and have an over reliance on services. We’ve sold off most of our assets to foreign buyers so our saviour may be the tech industry but for that to prosper we need to Stacy the best from around the world and that might be harder now

So. there are opportunities but are we in a fit state to take them on.
Hi

So you would slash the pensions of the Armed Forces, Nurses, Hospital Porters and Cleaners to keep giving money to foreign corrupt Dictators?

Well done you.

My Public Sector Pension Scheme was in profit until Blair and Brown raided it to pay for those who have never worked.

I am 50% disabled due to an injury I received whilst protecting you and you would cut my pension?

That says a lot about you, none of it good.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
That statement on the false premise that it is only the EU that can pass laws that benefit the environment and create standards in engineering or product safety

That is a complete falsehood.

The UK will be more than capable to have it's own, better if deemed necessary, laws on anything it chooses.

You are obcviuosly not aware that EU safety standards are only in effect because they adopted the whole set of standards created by the BSI..........The British Standards Institute.

European goods were mostly a pile of crap before that.

The BSI is still in existence and will no doubt take a leading role post Brexit

Oh Ye of little faith.

You conflate your anti-Tory sentiments with anti-British sentiments.
You are talking complete rubbish again

The question was what are the benefits of EU membership and my post debunked some myths and demons the positive aspect of others

The UK could indeed have introduced such laws but it didn’t

The EU has cherry picked standard size from all over the world. It adopted NASA food standards

Apparently the adoption of LED lighting has greater ecological benefits than all the alternative energy pronto date

Indy your hatred of the EU blinds you to reality and I’m not anti Tory or anti British just anti stupidity, be it EU, British, German, American or whoever. Stupidity is stupidity
Banchory
Kent

30-01-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The EU didn't design 1600W motors. I mentioned about the emissions because it was the EU that came out with the regs.

More quotes from the Guardian...

zzzzzzz same old, same old.
Again no coherent argument
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 10:48 AM

Benefits of EU membership
I can't think of any off hand ...

I can think of the dreadful CAP, grain mountains, butter mountains, decimaton of our fishing industry, paying taxes to fund another layer of government we do not need.
I could go on....
Banchory
Kent

30-01-2019, 11:26 AM

Hi

So you would slash the pensions of the Armed Forces, Nurses, Hospital Porters and Cleaners to keep giving money to foreign corrupt Dictators?

Well done you.

My Public Sector Pension Scheme was in profit until Blair and Brown raided it to pay for those who have never worked.

I am 50% disabled due to an injury I received whilst protecting you and you would cut my pension?

That says a lot about you, none of it good.
Who said anything about giving money to corrupt dictator’s

I’m also not suggesting that public sector workers should receive less than what their contributions accrue.

Why should a person who doesn’t work for a company large enough to have to provide a pension and may not be able to afford their own have to contribute towards the pensions of others so that they recurved enhanced benefits over and abovedhat their contributions would ordinarily accrue

The debt is becoming untenable particularly when the state pension that is relied on by the poorest in society is being eroded

It may be unpalatable to you and other public sector workers but why should the taxpayers subsidise public sector workers at the expense of their own retirement

With today’s Gig economy and zero hour contacts ileaving many without sufficient money to put into pensions but they, through taxation are funding pensions of others leaves the argument for not reducing taxpayer funded enhancement of public sector pensions as morally bankrupt

Unfortunately It seems that you want to protect the gravy train you are part of

ithttps://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/pensions-retirement/news/crazy-boost-gold-plated-public-sector-pensions/amp/

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/201...r-counterparts

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...-pensions/amp/
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 11:39 AM

Again no coherent argument

I'm not the one who says there will be no trade after brexit.

That's you - the guy who has to tell everyone how clever he is all the time.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 12:03 PM

The CBI sums it up nicely

http://www.cbi.org.uk/insight-and-an...utweigh-costs/

And here a positive aspect to migrant workers

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.i...506.html%3famp

And here’s a view from a small business perspective

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.f...d-09f7778e7377

The OP question it a bit monty Pythonesque as in “what did the Romans ever do for us”

The answer is a lot more than you think
Excellent post Banchory with a lot of good information I wasn't aware of, but sadly will not affect those with closed minds.

Page 4 of 29 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top