Join for free
Page 5 of 29 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 12:07 PM

Re: Benefits of EU membership?

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I'm not the one who says there will be no trade after brexit.

That's you - the guy who has to tell everyone how clever he is all the time.

I don't recall Banchory ever saying that there will be no trade after brexit. Just another case of logical post's being twisted to suit a closed mind.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
We will have to start doing the unpopular jobs ourselves, the slaughterhouse stuff, recycling , sewage

We need to invest hundreds of millions in training, HGV Drivers, construction workers, engineering, nurses doctors.

We need to stop charging people to train in the vital jobs we need.

This will have to involve the unions, they will have to change and accept new working practices.

It is my view that the last one will be the most difficult, they are dinosaurs.
Perhaps we should pay less money in benefits, except for the genuinely most needy, especially the 'child refugees' who seem to have everything handed to them on a plate. Those savings could help pay for training of our own people in the jobs we are going to really need.

As for the unions, they already have the upper hand with May in charge. What a shame that we don't have another Maggie to take control.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by meg ->
i can't think of any off hand ...

I can think of the dreadful cap, grain mountains, butter mountains, decimaton of our fishing industry, paying taxes to fund another layer of government we do not need.
I could go on....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
The one thing that concerns me is the gung ho, Britain can be a major power again, punching above our weight.

There are proposals to build new military bases overseas.

Why?

My view is that we need to pull our necks in, slash overseas aid and concentrate on what we need to do to make life better here.
We can hope to remain the world's fifth largest economy, but we must get out of this forlorn belief that we are the world's policeman.

We should also get out of the habit of attempting to financially support the whole world when our own country is in hock to the world.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
We can hope to remain the world's fifth largest economy, but we must get out of this forlorn belief that we are the world's policeman.

We should also get out of the habit of attempting to financially support the whole world when our own country is in hock to the world.
Excellent point JBR. Unfortunately our relationship with the US makes this difficult for us, but I agree, we should stop worrying about far off scumbag Countries and concentrate on ourselves.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-01-2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
That statement on the false premise that it is only the EU that can pass laws that benefit the environment and create standards in engineering or product safety

That is a complete falsehood.

The UK will be more than capable to have it's own, better if deemed necessary, laws on anything it chooses.

You are obcviuosly not aware that EU safety standards are only in effect because they adopted the whole set of standards created by the BSI..........The British Standards Institute.

European goods were mostly a pile of crap before that.

The BSI is still in existence and will no doubt take a leading role post Brexit

Oh Ye of little faith.

You conflate your anti-Tory sentiments with anti-British sentiments.
Yes, I look forward to seeing the Kitemark on reliable products once again.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
I don't recall Banchory ever saying that there will be no trade after brexit. Just another case of logical post's being twisted to suit a closed mind.
I never said he was twisted and had a closed mind ...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-01-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Excellent point JBR. Unfortunately our relationship with the US makes this difficult for us, but I agree, we should stop worrying about far off scumbag Countries and concentrate on ourselves.
I'm perfectly happy for us to take part in military exercises with the US. After all, they need us to show them how professionals do it!

I suppose that we must also support them in some military campaigns, but we should not be entirely at their complete beck and call.

Most importantly, though, are our great losses due to foreign aid payments. Who the hell do we think we're kidding?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I guess you have not heard but one goes with the other. You do not become a world economic player by ignoring the world's security and financial needs.

The hobbit mentality of withdrawing into a comfy hole in the ground has to stop if we are to succeed post brexit.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

30-01-2019, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by jbr ->
i'm perfectly happy for us to take part in military exercises with the us. After all, they need us to show them how professionals do it!

I suppose that we must also support them in some military campaigns, but we should not be entirely at their complete beck and call.

Most importantly, though, are our great losses due to foreign aid payments. Who the hell do we think we're kidding?

Page 5 of 29 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top