Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 08:34 PM

New Garage Doors

Well - the deed is done - have chosen my doors - the company will make them and fit them in four weeks time. I was really impressed by the salesman - he arrived on time, was smartly dressed, willing to discuss all possible options, and did not try to pressure me into a decision.

I have chosen hinged doors rather than 'up and over' and, Barry, don't worry - there is a safety mechanism to stop them slamming about in the wind. They will be made from high quality steel, painted white and have a special security lock.

Floydy - I did think about keeping the side door - until he told me how much a new one would cost. Much cheaper to brick it up - I can do a neat Flemish Bond!

They will look a bit like this one - but mine will be half and half widths - not 2 thirds and 1 third - as my garage is quite narrow.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 08:42 PM

Re: New Garage Doors

Get electric opening ones ,not that expensive. We change and best thing ever. Even alarmed for extra security. Keep side doors would be my advice so you Don,t get locked outl. Think drive up push remote and drive in ,
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 08:44 PM

I’m mid way having a small workshop built at the moment ( although I’ve decided I’m going to use it as studio ) and having two wooden doors made and I can’t wait to see them
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 08:50 PM

Can I park the motor in there when I come to visit?

marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 08:56 PM

I have a double garage and there isn’t room to fit a car lol , this was going to be a small workshop for my motorbikes but I’m now thinking il keep it spotless and use it as a studio and the bikes can stay in the garage and the cars as always will remain outdoors
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Get electric opening ones ,not that expensive. We change and best thing ever. Even alarmed for extra security. Keep side doors would be my advice so you Don,t get locked outl. Think drive up push remote and drive in ,
We've just gone from an electric roller door back to an up-and-over manual door. Probably just a bad luck but our electric one became troublesome with jambing up and cutting out in mid-track after a couple of years. Spares and repairs weren't available because the company that fitted it went out of business.

I thought about stripping it down myself but decided to just call it a day instead and get a smart new manual door.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 09:28 PM

Why not get another company that repairs garage doors?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 09:36 PM

Another company didn't want to repair an Essati garage door. I didn't want to take a chance on another electric garage door.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...n-garage-doors
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
We've just gone from an electric roller door back to an up-and-over manual door. Probably just a bad luck but our electric one became troublesome with jambing up and cutting out in mid-track after a couple of years. Spares and repairs weren't available because the company that fitted it went out of business.

I thought about stripping it down myself but decided to just call it a day instead and get a smart new manual door.
I've had a standard manual up and over garage door for the last thirty years, I have had to make some parts for it over the years to keep it working but fancy a new electric rolly door, but what happens in the event of a power cut? Bearing in mind I don't have a side door, and I wouldn't be able to get my car out!....I might just leave it be and make it more secure.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 10:40 PM

Sadly, I had to cut the cables. last week on my up and over, I have not tried to open it since.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top