Join for free
Page 15 of 15 « First < 5 13 14 15
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:32 AM

Re: Is anyone looking forward to USA Food?

Originally Posted by Unsure ->
So long as the Country of Origin is clearly on the label and so long as the supermarkets carry alternatives then fine but I fear we will be swamped with crap from USA.

It will be inferior to EU and we will be shipping it thousands of miles by sea with all the consequent pollution.

You seem determined to look on the black side.
Unsure
UK
Unsure is male  Unsure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
The hi-lighted part is not quite true I'm afraid, and if the chlorine doesn't get you - the pesticides will!

For example, soft fruits, like strawberries, are real culprits for pesticide contamination. These are so porous, and therefore whatever they have been treated with is absorbed into the fruit, not just the outside skin. As we do not peel these fruits like you can apples or bananas etc, you eat the lot.

I have heard that potato skins can carry nasties too, and if you eat jacket potatoes you will not be peeling the skins off.
Most farmers spray their potato crop off nowadays, to kill the tops quicker for harvesting, instead of letting them die down naturally.

There's some info here, but loads more on this subject if you search.

https://www.ecowatch.com/5-facts-you...891133398.html

Thanks for heads up Mups. Interesting link.
Unsure
UK
Unsure is male  Unsure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:44 AM

Just saw this in our local Tesco. Maybe they are prepping us for US trade deal.
Unsure
UK

13-03-2019, 12:51 AM

This was in our Tesco. 37% sugar

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charms.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	9018  
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Unsure ->

Just saw this in our local Tesco. Maybe they are prepping us for US trade deal.

Shame you can't link properly, otherwise I'm sure I would be terrified
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:55 AM

Whatever we already have here doesn't need adding to with US toxins. We should be getting rid of all these poisons. If that means eating less meat then so be it. That is how our ancestors lived.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Whatever we already have here doesn't need adding to with US toxins. We should be getting rid of all these poisons. If that means eating less meat then so be it. That is how our ancestors lived.

Thing is Annie, our supposedly healthy ancestor's fruit and veg
would have been more like organic food of today, and not suffed with the chemicals of today.
They'd have put manure on the veg patch - from grass fed animals - not like the stuff they use today.

All the diet books and health advisors tell us to eat our 5-a day, and heat more fruit and veg, but I believe we are consuming more and more chemicals with it.

It is not only the sprays used by growers on the crops themselves, it starts with the very ground they are grown in too, it is full of artificial fertilizers, insecticides, pesticisedes, and such.
Even our water supply is. Have you ever smelled chlorine type smell from the tap, because I have.

All the cancers nowadays, in humans and the animal world too, must come from somewhere.
I am convinced that we eat, what we drink, the amount of chemicals we use for cleaning in our homes, plus the 'waves' (can't think of the word I want) from all the appliances we have in our homes nowadays, have a lot to answer for.

My old mobile phone used to burn the side of my face, so who knows what that does on the insides.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 01:51 AM

Mups I believe that there is a lot to be said for living a simple life without all these chemicals. The water here is often impure. You can tell when you go somewhere and they have really clean water. It tastes divine. Life might have been shorter in the olden days but I bet it felt good to be alive.

I know what you mean by waves. I've gotten used to them but I think they mess with our biorhythms. I've stayed in a couple of places with no electricity, wifi etc, one in the Lake district, one in Jordan and you wake up feeling so amazing. I guess that is actually feeling normal but we don't get to feel that way often.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 08:00 AM

Well, I've tried something called scrapple which defies description, and grits which were OK, As for the rest of the US, their food is more or less the same as ours surely?

Page 15 of 15 « First < 5 13 14 15

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top