Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Re: A short extension to Article 50 likely ( Latest events on leaving the EU March 20th)

Originally Posted by Meg ->
No I am not confused
May has tried to accommodate as many people as possible by getting some sort of agreement, the problem is the one we have arrived at suits no one.

We still don't have a majority in parliment for anything including leaving by default on 29th.

The whole thing got off on the wrong foot from the start with the EU wanting a withdrawal agreement and payment before we actually discuss any trade agreements.
Easiest solution is to get rid of May and replace her with Boris
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:44 AM

Re: A short extension to Article 50 likely ( Latest events on leaving the EU March 20th)

I see May is not asking for a long extension, only a short one until end June 2019.

I don't think it will fly.

At least, I hope not.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 12:01 PM

No I am not confused
May has tried to accommodate as many people as possible by getting some sort of agreement, the problem is the one we have arrived at suits no one.

We still don't have a majority in parliment for anything including leaving by default on 29th.

The whole thing got off on the wrong foot from the start with the EU wanting a withdrawal agreement and payment before we actually discuss any trade agreements.
Meg, l agree with your summing up of the situation facing us.
I agree on how we got here.
But don't we still have the default position,as specified by the EU to fall
back on, as parliaments voting down no deal was not a binding vote?
We just need the guts to let it happen.
I have no faith that the pretenders will allow this.
Best Regards, Donkeyman.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Meg, l agree with your summing up of the situation facing us.
I agree on how we got here.
But don't we still have the default position,as specified by the EU to fall
back on, as parliaments voting down no deal was not a binding vote?

We just need the guts to let it happen.
I have no faith that the pretenders will allow this.
Best Regards, Donkeyman.
Hi BM yes we do still have the default position but I can't see it being allow to happen.
As it stand it is still law and that would need to change but as I understand a 'statutory instrument' could be used to change the law at short notice.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Easiest solution is to get rid of May and replace her with Boris
Bread, isn't default exit automatic if nothing is agreed by the end of
A 50,be that march or may.
The only way to avert this is if, in the intervening period a UK gov
changes by moving exit date,this is currently being done.
Does not auger well for BREXIT.
As regards Boris& May we don't have time by march 29.
Best regards.Donkeyman.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 02:03 PM

You are a country that loves to adhere to rules, even those from 1604. Well, the rules also dictate that the EU has to offer a leaving member a withdrawal deal. The same rule determine no trade deal can be negotiated before a member has left the EU.
Leave and talks about a future trade deal with the EU can start.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

20-03-2019, 02:08 PM

May was just asked in pmq' s if automatic exiting would still be
in effect at the end of any retension period.
She answered that would be up to the EU.
This !mplies that the default clause will fall away automatically.
and it will then be the case that we have to apply for it to be
reinstated. W.A.F.U.
Roll on November the 5th.
Donkeyman.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 02:15 PM

The latest news is we are to have a 3 month extention to take us to the end of June.

Barnier said in his speech yesterday we can't have a long and a short extention it has to be one or the other .
Barnier, and others, have also asked what the extension will be for.
It seems May (still) wants a third vote on her deal. My guess is that this will not sway the EU. The more since May also asks the EU to negotiate additions to the present deal to get it through the houses. That question has been answered several times now with a no.
So, no extension. Big question, what will parliament do? Accept a no deal brexit Or revoke article 50?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

20-03-2019, 02:40 PM

I am sorry to say l agree with your view Splash.
We appear to be in the hands of the lunatics in the hoc.
Bring Nov 5th forward to 29th March.
WAFU. Donkeyman.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
May was just asked in pmq' s if automatic exiting would still be
in effect at the end of any retension period.
She answered that would be up to the EU.
This !mplies that the default clause will fall away automatically.
and it will then be the case that we have to apply for it to be
reinstated. W.A.F.U.
Roll on November the 5th.
Donkeyman.
DM in 'The world at 1' Andrea Leadsome confirmed that leaving on 29th May is still the default position .
I mentioned a statutory instrument to delay and I think that too requires a majority vote in parliament .

When the PM replied to the question saying that was up to the EU I took it she ment it depended if they would even grant an extention or agreed to/made other changes to the WA, she was not dismissing the default position of leaving with no deal at the end of the extended period.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top