Join for free
Page 10 of 370 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 > Last »
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 09:44 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

I thought this was an Over 50 Forum ....whats wrong with you people .your acting like youngsters . have some respect for your age ...
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by tomcat ->
I thought this was an Over 50 Forum ....whats wrong with you people .your acting like youngsters . have some respect for your age ...
Kinda recovered from last night's efforts already. My baked beans and spud diet seems to hit the spot. Looking forward to another run tonight with the club. Brisk 6-7 miler I think it is .
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 10:39 AM

Looking forward to another run tonight with the club. Brisk 6-7 miler I think it is

just watch those knees ..I used to like walking ,but now I have a job to walk couple of hundred yards ..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 10:58 AM

A cold easterly wind straight off the North Sea buffeted me as I left the village and sped out into the country for my usual Thursday 8 mile run. For the first couple of miles I was beginning to wonder if just shorts and Tee shirt had been a good decision, but as I got into a decent pace the warmth was spreading into my finger tips and toes.

About half way round I left the narrow country lane and joined the main road. It's not very busy at 7:00 am but it's long and straight, so drivers do tend to get their foot down and it becomes a little bit precarious. So I've been choosing this section for a change in speed (the sooner I get back on to the lane the better) and although not sprinting, I increase the pace to something that I can just about survive for the half mile or so to the turn off.

It certainly has been paying dividends with most of my recent outings pushing my best times for the year, this morning yet again, I set a years best for this 8 mile course. This type of training is called Fartlek, named after the Norwegian chap who discovered it. I managed to put two more faster segments in before I arrived home, and still managed to finished strongly. Lets see how the day turns out now....Probably buggered for the rest of the day!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
A cold easterly wind straight off the North Sea buffeted me as I left the village and sped out into the country for my usual Thursday 8 mile run. For the first couple of miles I was beginning to wonder if just shorts and Tee shirt had been a good decision, but as I got into a decent pace the warmth was spreading into my finger tips and toes.

About half way round I left the narrow country lane and joined the main road. It's not very busy at 7:00 am but it's long and straight, so drivers do tend to get their foot down and it becomes a little bit precarious. So I've been choosing this section for a change in speed (the sooner I get back on to the lane the better) and although not sprinting, I increase the pace to something that I can just about survive for the half mile or so to the turn off.

It certainly has been paying dividends with most of my recent outings pushing my best times for the year, this morning yet again, I set a years best for this 8 mile course. This type of training is called Fartlek, named after the Norwegian chap who discovered it. I managed to put two more faster segments in before I arrived home, and still managed to finished strongly. Lets see how the day turns out now....Probably buggered for the rest of the day!
Get lots of baked beans, rice cakes and spuds down you to help with recovery - works for me . Can have side effects though .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Get lots of baked beans, rice cakes and spuds down you to help with recovery - works for me . Can have side effects though .
Cheers Mark, I love spuds and beans and my family are well aware of the side effects you refer to.........
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2016, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by tomcat ->
I'm still managing the 10 to 18 mile, partly off-road, bike rides 3 times a week when it doesn't rain. Also 3 to 5 mile walks a couple of times a week at a pace that leaves many behind.

I was so unfit as a child too (asthmatic and weedy). Left behind in activities by others at the early end of life, I seem to have loads of strength and energy at this end.

I'm over 70 now often wonder how long I'm going to be able to keep it up. An older relative says that his energy level declined quite quickly after the age of 74.

Just keep going while we can I suppose.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-06-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'm still managing the 10 to 18 mile, partly off-road, bike rides 3 times a week when it doesn't rain. Also 3 to 5 mile walks a couple of times a week at a pace that leaves many behind.

I was so unfit as a child too (asthmatic and weedy). Left behind in activities by others at the early end of life, I seem to have loads of strength and energy at this end.

I'm over 70 now often wonder how long I'm going to be able to keep it up. An older relative says that his energy level declined quite quickly after the age of 74.

Just keep going while we can I suppose.
We seem to have followed similar paths in our childhood Mart, being the smallest boy in the class I struggled to keep up with stronger and bigger classmates. As a result I was one of the last to be picked for team events and it made me into a bit of a loner.
I hated cross country after always finishing last, I took notes from my Mum to be excused on health grounds.

It was not until my late twenties that I realised my passion for running, and it wasn't long before I was leaving much stronger and larger competitors behind. It continues to this day and as a sixty five year old runner, walker and cyclist I seem to have outlasted some of my sand kicking opponents of yesteryear....

As recommended by Mark, recovery from the last run and energy for Sundays excursion....

ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 11:46 AM

Why baked beans? What's so good about them? Aren't they packed full of sugar and salt? Just wondering...
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

04-06-2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Why baked beans? What's so good about them? Aren't they packed full of sugar and salt? Just wondering...
Some varieties are a bit but there are low salt / sugar choices out there.

As for if they are good for you or not ...

Originally Posted by daleynutrition
High fibre – helps to reduce bad LDL cholesterol and fills you up

Low fat (good if you are on a weight loss plan)

Good protein source (when mixed with toast it can make a complete protein meal)

Lycopene – known to reduce the risk of certain cancers such as prostate cancer

Folate – helps with maintaining healthy DNA

Iron – required for energy production and healthy red blood cells

Magnesium – aids muscle contraction, sleep patterns & 100 other reactions in the body

Potassium – helps with muscle contractions, especially the heart and aids growth
http://www.daleynutrition.com/are-ba...-good-for-you/

In time I intend to eat more red beans and the like in more nutritious meals. Mexican type dishes.

Page 10 of 370 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top