Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 03:57 PM

Re: 83 years and too old for treatment for a broken arm

The article quotes a spokesman saying the unit the old lady went to was not equipped to deal with complex fractures like hers. It wasn't said but I suspect osteoporosis might be a complicating issue as well. If the receptionist said what she did she was unhelpfully out of order. But it always has be borne in mind that it is the Daily Mail reporting and they would naturally be anti-NHS and pro-privatisation with US involvement.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 04:10 PM

It won't be medically correct but think some (including me) might think of a fracture as being where the bone has cracked but stayed in place. A break being when the broken bits have actually separated and are out of place.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
The article quotes a spokesman saying the unit the old lady went to was not equipped to deal with complex fractures like hers. It wasn't said but I suspect osteoporosis might be a complicating issue as well. If the receptionist said what she did she was unhelpfully out of order. But it always has be borne in mind that it is the Daily Mail reporting and they would naturally be anti-NHS and pro-privatisation with US involvement.
It is my experience that the Daily Mail is not so much anti-NHS, but simply incompetent as journalists.

If you should download the DM app, you'll see what I mean: spelling mistakes abound and journalistic ability suggests a recent post-graduate from 'Meeja Studies'.

Having said that, I use the app most mornings and, as long as you realise these drawbacks, it can be reasonably useful - sometimes amusing!

The thing I like most about the app is that readers are free to comment. In fact, the readers' comments are often more informative than the article themselves!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It won't be medically correct but think some (including me) might think of a fracture as being where the bone has cracked but stayed in place. A break being when the broken bits have actually separated and are out of place.
No, the correct terminology is a simple, non-displaced fracture vs. a displaced fracture.

We must get our terminology correct!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 06:41 PM

Is it any wonder the elderly are terrified of a hospital stay (if they are lucky enough to be offered a bed). Most now believe they won't come out!! We are the invisible ones.

Has anyone noticed they don't even bother to put a television in the ward where the elderly are, They are just meant to stay quiet and stare at either the other patients or just at the wall opposite.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No, the correct terminology is a simple, non-displaced fracture vs. a displaced fracture.

We must get our terminology correct!
Reminds me of a past forum that had a section called 'Pedants Corner' where terminologies and suchlike were discussed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-07-2019, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Reminds me of a past forum that had a section called 'Pedants Corner' where terminologies and suchlike were discussed.
My apologies for being pedantic, but if incorrect terminology is used there is the possibility of misunderstanding and, worse, incorrect consequences!

Insist that a break and a fracture are two quite different things if you wish. It's no skin off my nose.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

01-07-2019, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
My apologies for being pedantic, but if incorrect terminology is used there is the possibility of misunderstanding and, worse, incorrect consequences!
True. If I were in the medical profession I would be very careful to use the correct terminology.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Is it any wonder the elderly are terrified of a hospital stay (if they are lucky enough to be offered a bed). Most now believe they won't come out!! We are the invisible ones.

Has anyone noticed they don't even bother to put a television in the ward where the elderly are, They are just meant to stay quiet and stare at either the other patients or just at the wall opposite.
Do they have WiFi? I'd be lost without my iPad ,more so than being without television .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-07-2019, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Do they have WiFi? I'd be lost without my iPad ,more so than being without television .
Good point.
I hadn't realised that my GP's surgery now have WiFi.
It is very useful when they're running well behind time!

I must say that I, too, would hope for WiFi if I had to stay in hospital. I feel fortunate that I never have had to before, but as we get older...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top